Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2016, 11:07 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Water pump shutters

Lately I've noticed a loud "shutter" when using the water pump. After turning the water off at the sink, the pump gives a shutter for a good 3 - 5 seconds after the water is turned off. It also seems to be a bit louder than I remember. Is this normal? I don't recall hearing this before ( I've had the trailer for about a year and a half).
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I'm going out on a limb here and assume you mean shudder ��. Chances are there is a flexible water line that has shifted and is making contact with a cabinet wall or the floor.

I've given up on mine. Sometimes it is so quiet you have to stand still and really listen and other times we get knocks on the door asking us to turn off the jack hammer.��
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2018 19' Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Shudder ... Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
I'm going out on a limb here and assume you mean shudder ��. Chances are there is a flexible water line that has shifted and is making contact with a cabinet wall or the floor.

I've given up on mine. Sometimes it is so quiet you have to stand still and really listen and other times we get knocks on the door asking us to turn off the jack hammer.��
Thanks ... I think you are right about a water line shifting and I too will give up on it ... seems to be quiet now and back to how it was. Appreciate your humor!
tjwoods1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I installed a water pressure tank, which lets the pump work easier. I selected a place under the bathroom sink and added a T to the cold waterline. Now the fresh water system delivers a quart of water before the pump starts and the pump will continue to run for several seconds after the facet is turned off.

The pump does not cycle, it just runs and stops.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Sandpoint , Idaho
Sgschwend, what accumulator tank did you use? On a previous trailer I put in the small Shurflo one and it didn't seem to do much.
Yachthalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwoods1 View Post
Lately I've noticed a loud "shutter" when using the water pump. After turning the water off at the sink, the pump gives a shutter for a good 3 - 5 seconds after the water is turned off. It also seems to be a bit louder than I remember. Is this normal? I don't recall hearing this before ( I've had the trailer for about a year and a half).
Howdy neighbor I too had what I thought was a noisy pump.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f443...-148414-3.html

This is my solution so far and I think I'm moving on to other mods. Others have opted to go with the ShurFlo quiet connectors however. They looked like the regular ones so I opted to isolate the floor/water line points of contact with ensolite foam and have mostly succeeded in dampening the shuddering, especially in the "pump house".

I still get some shuddering from (I believe) under the shower and I'm leaving that as is. An accumulator tank may be the solution to the remaining noise.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:20 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Pump is likely getting old and/or going bad. They don't last forever. I'd just replace it for the love of $100. 10 minute install / swap. I changed mine this past weekend and made a big difference. I also installed a shurflow accumulator and that also eases up in the pump workload.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote