Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2016, 03:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinDux View Post
oooops, here is the arrestor. Using a brass T and probably a nipple, I'll slip this between the flex to pex connection just inside the rear storage, downstream of the pump. Phase 2 if needed, SS flex and maybe the tank.

Bob
Thanks Bob.

Those basic copper units will work in residential plumbing where they can be installed vertically at a high point in a plumbing run. The air trapped in the copper "dead end street" will remain there [although over the long run the air can become water IMO -- a different discussion as the physical setup is different in a house].

Not so sure if this simple device will work in a trailer, however, as it is at a low point in the plumbing system. When the trailer's pipes are de-pressurized when traveling (no city water -- pump off), the air trapped in the unit will vibrate out and rise to the high point in the system, especially with the trailer shaking all over the place IMO. And water will replace the air which has risen.

The ShurFlo Accumulator linked earlier (and the same one installed by one or more 20-footers IMO) has air permanently trapped in it behind a diaphragm I believe. Thus the air can never get out, making it possible to install the unit horizontally IMO, even in the rear compartment of the FC20 under the sinks, where there is more room.

I don't think that water hammering is the main noise problem in the pump room in our 20-footers, however, so I am planning on doing the sound/echo dampening work first, including the SS flex connectors, pipe insulation, and foam etc. on the floor and walls.

Peter

PS -- Commercial "arrestors" similar to the ShurFlo Accumulator seem to be available, but if I go this route I will get the ShurFlo unit like other FC20 posters have done. Still think the term "arrestor" does not reflect the physics of the undertaking, but it does seem to be generally used, just to clarify the terminology issue.

I do see your point about the two possible different functions, but a good accumulator tank install will obviate the need for an arrestor IMO. One step at a time as detailed above . . .
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Thanks Peter, Your discussion makes sense. It will be interesting hear the pump in a couple of weeks when I summerize Blue.

I'm also going to contact JC for a part # for the flex hoses. I never got a response fro Shur-flo to my question. The anti vibration set on their website sure looks like what have been installed. I suspect it's the hose contact points and the over tightening of the pump that are the major contributors to the shuddering I hear. I also suspect the conversion to SS connections and sound deadening will help as well, just not as much IMO. I'll look to forward to hearing ; ) your results.

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Bob I think I will go with the ShurFlo OEM kit which has the plastic hoses,

http://www.amazon.com/SHURFLO-94-591...ess+connectors

on the off-chance that the hoses vibrate against something else, in which case the stainless hoses would be noisier IMO, albeit safer leak-wise. Given that (unlike hoses at a household washing machine which are usually under pressure), the ones at our FC20 pumps will only be under pressure every so often. YMMV

Peter
Old 04-09-2016, 11:07 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Bob I think I will go with the ShurFlo OEM kit which has the plastic hoses,

on the off-chance that the hoses vibrate against something else, in which case the stainless hoses would be noisier IMO, albeit safer leak-wise. Given that (unlike hoses at a household washing machine which are usually under pressure), the ones at our FC20 pumps will only be under pressure every so often. YMMV

Peter

Peter I should probably share my conversation with JC. Originally I looked at the SFlo website and contacted them (twice). What I was seeing in the field appeared to look like what was on their website. I never got a response so contacted JC for a part number. Their response was non specific in that it was a plain ol' flex hose and not the kit hoses.

So maybe there is some dampening characterization to the kit. I'm not concerned about the pressure as the AS regulator is 65 lbs. SS may not be a real advantage here(IMO). At any rate, I'll await your experience.

For me...SS or SFlo kit will follow if I can't turn up the stereo any more ; )

Bob
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:51 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
[QUOTE=CruizinDux;1774441
. . . if I can't turn up the stereo any more ; )

Bob[/QUOTE]

Thought maybe it was broke as you haven't posted any new songs. RIP Merle Haggard . . .
Old 04-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

As a former (perhaps still) boater, with over 16-years living aboard, I've had my share of water pump issues. Now on a motorhome, what I've done is install good thick (1/2-inch) rubber washers for the fastereners to the plywood. Second, and perhaps the most important, installed a pressurized accumulator. This stops the constant on/off running of the pump, allowing a more even water flow. Also cuts way down on wear and tear on the pump. You should be able to get this at most boating stores. My go-to resource is Fisheries Supply, in Seatle. They mail order.
comprose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Get rid of the cheap noisy pump and you will find its a big improvement in itself.You will enjoy higher water pressure also.All for $110 and 10 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 06:59 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Great info. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:17 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I would like to replace mine but the water pump is located in an almost inaccessible location on my Classic 25fb. When you open the adjacent wardrobe floor hatch the water pump in not straight down but off closer to under the fridge. When I remove the panel behind the cabinet under the fridge its in the back. There are heating ducts, wiring and PEX pipes all around it. There isn't any available room for a new one and the Shurflo isn't plug n' play with the Aquajet with the clip-in hose connections. It would be difficult to get a PEX tool in there to modify the plumbing from what I can see.

Kelvin
Old 04-13-2016, 03:00 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I would like to replace mine but the water pump is located in an almost inaccessible location on my Classic 25fb. When you open the adjacent wardrobe floor hatch the water pump in not straight down but off closer to under the fridge. When I remove the panel behind the cabinet under the fridge its in the back. There are heating ducts, wiring and PEX pipes all around it. There isn't any available room for a new one and the Shurflo isn't plug n' play with the Aquajet with the clip-in hose connections. It would be difficult to get a PEX tool in there to modify the plumbing from what I can see.

Kelvin
You have to remove the clip in connectors. Does yours have the white hoses?
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 26
chambersburg , Pennsylvania
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1464307806.831667.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	263278 finished with my new surflo revolution next to silent wasn't even sure it was working till I put my hand on it . Appears to have better pressure too

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Jimin pa
jimin pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:04 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Ventura , California
I am hoping to install a diverter valve to send city water to my fresh water tanks. Anyone do this and what hardware is necessary?
2012 GMC Denali HD Duramax
Pro Pride hitch
rp709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:36 AM   #53
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Bob

These worked very well to re-mount our pump....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lds-rubber-neoprene-mounts2.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	270347