Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Eagle River , Alaska
under sink water filter advise

I’m looking for an under sink water filter to be used for consumptive use at galley sink, ie: drinking water, tea, cooking, etc. in 1964 Safari.

I tried searching forums, can’t find info I seek.

Has anyone already done my homework for me and found a good under sink unit that will deliver:
Good water taste,
Filtering of chlorine, bacteria, giardia, lead, cysts, etc.
Relative ease of use/maintenance (filter changing, no leaking, bypass, fits under sink)
Flow rate of 1+ GPM

I already have an external filter unit that filters water coming from “whatever source” I can hook up to this week with dedicated white hose into new 40 gallon holding tank.

That works great for shower, toilet, hand washing water, etc.

Wife wants to filter it again at galley sink just before drinking “just to be sure”, quit buying bottled water to drink and cook with and lose the filter pitcher that has to be stowed.

That cup of tea I made her at Quartzite did it!

Doesn’t have to be RV specific, I can adapt house type unit.

Any good ideas / experiences?

Thanks, Safari64
Safari64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I use the single cartridge version of this unit: GE Dual Stage Water Filtration System - GXSV65F at The Home Depot. I have been very pleased with it. I use the same filter on my ice maker line too.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:07 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Land Yacht 30
Old Hickory , TN
I use the Everpure that I got a Camping World. The ones for home use from Lowes or Home Depot would work just as well. The faucet has one built in too, but that is over kill and I don't use it any longer (takes another cartridge and a battery even).

Everpure Water Treatment System - Item - Camping World
Between 'steams...
reday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:28 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Parkdale , Oregon
Under the Kitchen sink water filter

Safari64,

I am on the tail end of a major plumbing remodel in the kitchen in our 06 Classic. I have changed out all of plumbing stuff in the sink area. I moved the drainpipes and trap down the wall, and positioned them to make more room under the cabinets. I bought the PEX crimping tool, and the ring cutter, some sections of PEX pipe, and a couple of large bags of assorted PEX parts, so that I could re-route the hot and cold pressure lines to a convenient place to make more storage room under the cabinets. I changed out the Moen faucet that had a filter in the neck of the faucet, for a new kitchen faucet, and a new single flavor drinking water faucet for the filtered water, and an instant 200-degree hot water dispenser.

I installed an under the counter water filter system to provide filtered water for the instant hot water heater and for a little higher grade of filtering for drinking, because the Moen filter had no way to provide filtered water to another fixture.

There are a lot of different options as you have found. Price, level of filtering, ease of filter changing, space that the system takes up under the counter, are filters and parts available after 5 or 10 years, and ease of replacing the entire system if it becomes obsolete, are all factors that I used in my decision in choosing a single stage canister filter for our system.

We have decided to use the GE Single Stage Drinking Water Filter System Model GX1S01C that is available from Home Depot and is a generic sized housing. The filters that are available for this housing are a generic size that fits other brands of housings that accept 9.75 x 2.5 inch filters such as Culligans. The idea of having a generic size and type of water filter means that you should be able to get filters at most any hardware store, or a replacement housing if necessary.

There are smaller systems and larger much more elaborate systems. I was originally looking for a single canister system that allowed filter replacement under pressure, like the one in the fridge at home, but not all sizeable hardware stores even had this type of system much less replacement filters. Some of the larger systems add or use chemicals, and the reverse osmosis systems are large, costly, and complex, and you can’t find replacement parts and filters everywhere.

The water filter is mounted on the back wall of the cabinet under the sink, the pipes and connections are PEX, the filter canister has the type of pipe connections that are hand tightened compression fittings that have grip wings for easy replacement, and every fixture has a shutoff valve feeding it for future repairs.

All of this filtering system is in addition to the outside city water filter. This project got a little bit larger than I was counting on, but now at the end I think that it will work well for us.

Hope that this helps.
Steve
darlingbooks is offline   Reply With Quote