Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2005, 05:15 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Need a Water filter under sink

2001 Safari's did not come with a water filter so I have been using a filter attached to the faucet for cooking and I filter when I fill my tank. We have been drinking bottled water but want to start drinking from the tap. The little Coligan attachment works well except on the 550 mile gravel road to Inuvik on the Dempster Highway north of Dawson City Yukon. It kept falling off untill I put the lock tite on.
Anyway I should of bought something this winter at the water store Quartzite Az. but did not think of it till we moved on. The International Rally has a water store, prabably the same guy. But we are spending the summer at home this summer for a change. I believe he sells a set up with hoses that fit the under sink fittings without modification and trips to the hardware store.
Anyone have the web site or recomendations.

2001 Safari 27 rear queen
awnings all around & 150w solar
Web Page: https://w9det.bizland.com
w9det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 05:56 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Warren,
I would check out the Camping World website, they have several different types available. And I don't see why a compact under counter unit from a local plumbing supply/home improvement center wouldn't work too. We use both an exterior filter as well as the under counter that came with the unit. Given the condition of some campground water I have seen....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 09:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I have original, (???) filter system in my 65 wind, but I would like to know if any of you more experienced types could tell me where to find new filters for the system. also don't you have to have some minimum water pressure for lots of those new under-counter systems to work, my pressure is not that great with the original pump.
bdlwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1954 25' Cruiser
1990 34.5' Airstream 345
VC Highlands , Nevada
Send a message via Skype™ to Buttercup
RV PARTS OUTLET has the Everpure filter system on closeout for $69 for the complete kit. I just put one in our trailer. I think THIS LINK will work. If not do a search on thier web site.

tk
Buttercup's Web Site. WBCCI #17330, 11281 & 7830. VAC Past President, TAC NV-2 & NV-3
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 28' Classic
Cincinnati , Ohio
Everpure Water Filter

Thanks for the link, Buttercup. I searched for Everpure on the web and they seem to be big in the comercial installation business. What is your experience with this filter? Says something about chlorinator - any chlorine taste in the water?

Couldn't find a length dimension anywhere. Am I going to have to cut a hole in my undersink shelves to make this thing fit. I certainly would prefer to have the filter inside rather than dangling off the end of the faucet outside but I don't know if I can distort my 6'4" body to reach under and finagle the filter into that cramped undersink space on the '04 Safari!!!

Bob Hastings
'06 Classic 28'
'04 Ford F250 V8

Remember :
Happiness is not a station you arrive at, but a manner of traveling.
Margaret Lee Runbeck

BOBHASTINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

We solved the water filtration issue by using the General Ecology Nature-Pure under sink system. It has its own faucet. We've used a General Ecology portable backpacker system for over 20 years so we were very confident. After a full season's trial, it served us very well and I recommend it.

I posted pics of ours some time ago (click here for 22' CCD install).

The cost is $234 direct from General Ecology. I'm sure there are other sources (Camping World?) that might sell it cheaper.

Hope this helps as you investigate options.

Here are the specs (click to enlarge):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	naturepure1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	13076   Click image for larger version

Name:	naturepure2.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	13077  

67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:12 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Clean water?

Several weeks ago we stayed at a campground near my dad's place. We noticed almost immediately that the water, while tested and approved for drinking, had a very strong odor and taste. So we ran out and got an outside Taste Pure in line filter (ceramic cartidge filter which can be cleaned and reused).

Once we hooked the filter up we noticed a difference very quickly. More importantly we noticed the extremely white ceramic filter turning brown very quickly (within the first day). After having it hooked up for almost 3 weeks the cartridge needed some serious cleaning.

Since we've seen first hand what "approved water" can contain in it (tons of sediment) I'd never hook up to an external water supply without an inline filter. Just imagine what that much sediment could do to your water heater.

We're also thinking about an under the sink filter too. Anything to get the water as clean as possible!
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 06:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yes, I forgot to mention that we always pre-treat anything going into our water holding tank with one of those inline filters. Ours comes from Camping World and ran about $35.

Thanks Rich.
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote