Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Water Heaters, Filters & Pumps
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
Ruston , Louisiana
shurflo pump "priming" ????

Folks,
Just about to rap up the general restoration of my 64 Safari and then move to the polishing. I replaced the original water pump with a new Shurflo pump and can't get it to pump. It runs just fine but doesn't pump. My question is do these pumps ever require priming of any sort. If so, do you add a tee in the suction line to prime it through? I understood they did not have to be primed?? As always thanks for the help!!
Jim
La Safari 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
You might try opening a faucet or loosening the output connection briefly, although usually they do self prime ok.
There is an arrow on the pump showing the direction of water flow. I assume you do not have it hooked up backward but it never hurts to double check both electrically and mechanically.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Pump?

Mine wouldn't pump either. I disconnected the discharge hose, turned on the pump for just a second and the water came out. Put the hose back on, it's been working fine ever since. Good Luck. OH! Make sure there is water coming into the pump, some have an inlet filter in the supply line, it may have air in it preventing the pump from priming itself.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Winnipeg , Manitoba
Quick question, my pump only primes when I have a faucet open. If I use water and turn off tap just as pump kicks in it doesn't seem to prime till I open the tap again. Is this normal? I'm a little worried about burning out the pump.
Beeswaxowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Prime?

When you say it doesn't prime. Do you mean you can't hear it running? Or does it run and you don't get water? It is normal that your pump won't run unless you open the tap. If the pressure switch is satisfied the pump won't run.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #6

Currently Looking...
Fort Wayne , Indiana
You might also check to see you haven't accidentally switched the pos & neg wires. Just like a fan, it will run, but in the wrong direction.