Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
priming the pump

Now we have a fully functional and non leaking city water supply plumbing system, I tried to fire up the old plunger type pump. It spins, but I wonder if there is some way to prime it? Its probably needing to be replaced, but I'd like to see if it is functional, if it can be made to work. It's so cool, with all the exposed mechanicals....

I don't know if it is original, but it has the electric motor on top, a toothed belt and the plunger that goes up and down when switched on.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My Airstream depends on a FloJet VSD

Those pumps are cool looking. I have two of them.

Both of them work, but neither are plumbed into my American Classic because they are too doggone loud.

These pumps are self-priming upto 29 feet or so of head. If yours is not immediately pumping water then there is a problem. Problems could include:
  • No water to pump.
  • Obstruction in the line (before or after pump).
  • bad check valve in pump.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
OK, thanks. Yeah, it is loud... at this point, it's kind of a novelty. I'll check the check valve, there is water in the tank and the level is about level with the inlet on the pump. There was a lot of crud in the lines, which I've flushed out. I'm amazed it still runs