Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Question on my plumbing repair

The PO had put a piece of heater hose in the cold water side of the copper in the bathroom closet. I winterized by filling all traps and pump w/antifreeze and blew out the lines from city water supply without a water heater bypass. I sweated in copper in place of the rubber today before the new 12v setup goes in there, But when I pressurized the plumbing system w/40psi to soap those joints I dont think I had pressure on that line as the cold side of the lav faucet would not blow air but the hot side would . The hot and cold in the galley blew air as well as the supply to the water closet. Do you think I have a low spot that has a ice block. I put a elec. heater in there as its going down to 9 degrees tonight. Any advice would be great so I can continue my 12v work. Robert
bertro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I think you're on the right track. If that doesn't work, check to see if either a check valve, or the cold faucet in the lav has frozen shut. Sometimes a small piece of ice will keep the faucet or check valve jammed, and those are places that are hard to clear when blowing the lines.

A few minutes under a 60w lamp will thaw them out.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 04:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Thanks alot I'll look into those things in the AM. I thought I winterized good enough in November. I wont give it a quick job next year and put a bypass in and pump the lines full of anti-freeze. Thanks again Robert
Old 02-04-2008, 04:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Thanks again Mark for stepping up so quick to ease my anxiety problem. The last few days the temps. were good here and another air test prevailed. As you said the lav. valve must have been blocked. No bubbles on any soaped joints. How great. Robert