Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
ASHEVILLE , NC
No fresh water pressure from pump

Hi,

We were sanitizing the fresh water system today and ran into a problem. We open all the valves and drained the system. Next we closed all the valves, put a bleach mixture into the fresh water tank, and filled up the fresh water tank. Opened the hot water valve on the kitchen faucet and turned on the pump. The pump made noise but nothing came out the faucet . . . nothing, no water, no air . . . . nothing. Is this right? Doesn't sound good to me . . . . any ideas?
mosbymorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Sounds like the pump lost prime. Make sure all the drain valves are closed, run the pump and pull a vacuum on one open faucet and see if you can get it to prime.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Exactly what happened to me. My water pump was original (12 years old). Apparently the chlorine solution hardened the diaphragm. I replaced it with the latest version from Amazon. It was around $70.

Take the pipe off the input to the pump. Turn the pump on and see if you can feel suction. If not you can try disassembling the pump to be sure there is no trash in the valves, but I'm betting you'll have to replace the pump.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
The pump shouldn't need to be primed (IMO)

The pump is not centrifugal, and has a lift spec. It should be able to lift water a foot or so from the tank.

That said, what Steve suggests might clear any trash from the valves.

Al
Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I've had them do it.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I agree, probably just an air lock in the piping between the tank and the pump...

If it was working before, I wouldn't suspect the pump itself, unless you ran it 'DRY' for an extended period when pumping out the water initially...

I've found the easiest way to 'prime' the pump was to:

1. make sure ALL valves and drains are CLOSED....
2. unscrew the hose from the hand-held shower hose...
3. open the cold water side of the shower hose valve...
4. turn on the pump's power switch...
5. pull a vacuum on the end of the hose - SUCK on that sucker..!

This should allow you to 'pull' water up into the inlet side of the pump to get that vital fluid flowing again...
Old 03-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Many years ago I had added 12" diameter loops of flexible tubing to both sides of the pump to reduce transmission of pump noise. Not too long ago my pump would not prime after a de-winterization. I could see water coming up into the pex, but it couldn't quite make it to the pump. I disconnected the loop on the intake side, filled it with water, reconnected and started the pump. It promptly re-primed itself.
Siegmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
After I sanitized my system, the pump would not pull water from a full tank. I checked the filter screen, not clogged. I pulled the filter screen off the pump and put my finger over the intake fitting while the pump was running. Nothing. I pulled the pump and disassembled it. The diaphragm was hardened and yellow. When the new pump came, I hooked it up to the same pipes the old pump would not draw water from and it worked like a champ.

Per Shurflo the pump is supposed to be self-priming up to 12 feet. I suspect as the pump ages the diaphragm hardens resulting in reduced lift and output pressure. It sounds like several have had success with priming the pump, but when I put in my new pump I had much more pressure in the shower, more than I would expect from the 5psi increase in the specified performance.

When I first posted about my problem, someone responded that I had found and fixed a problem in the making at home instead of while out camping.

YMMV, but I'd change my pump again in a heartbeat for $70 in the convenience of my driveway.

Al
Old 03-13-2014, 08:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Try disconnecting the discharge hose from the pump. Run the pump until water comes out the discharge. Hook the hose back up. Open a faucet.
If the pump is good, you should get water when you turn on the water.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I had the same problem last spring ,the pump would not work I had a look at it and diagnosed a stuck pump pressure switch ,I tapped on it and away it went and worked fine all summer , my trailer was a year old at the time ,I'm going to have the pump and switch looked at and hopefully replace the switch under warrantee .
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Unless you have already checked the obvious, the filter maybe clogged with winter garden growth from the bottom of the tank.

Not that this ever happened to me or anything
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
ASHEVILLE , NC
Thanks everyone for your help,

I was able to locate the water pump and disconnect it. I brought it in to my favorite local RV repair facility, and they tested it out and found that the pump was Kaput. So, I got a new one, and replaced it in my driveway where I was close to tools, the internet, my bed, and the ice chest with appropriate libations. Success in that I still have "ten little fingers and ten little toes" (one of my grandson's books) and running water. Life is good!
mosbymorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
mosbymorgan...

Couple of thoughts... I don't exactly know what 'kaput' means - motor bad, or pump part bad...?

If it's just the pump part that's 'kaput', you might want to check the manual for your old pump (can usually find on internet's Mfg'r site) to get the part number (s) of the internal pumping parts or a 'rebuild kit' - you can then have a 'backup' available for the cost of these repair parts...

Just a thought...

At least you've got the problem fixed...
Old 03-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
The ShurFlo Revolution is a great replacement pump choice
It is cheap effective Ans usually a direct fit.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:27 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Versailles , Indiana
We are experiencing the same issue with our 1980 31' CB. Pump runs (rather loudly), no water even though the fresh water tank is over half full. Did find a crack in a T valve under the kitchen counter (in the skinny cabinet - of course.) Now trying to find replacement T valve and praying other connections are solid. (suggestions welcome!) One note - our trailer sat for 10+ years due to the PO's extended illness. They thought they winterized after their last trip, but that was years ago. Could this be a dry diaphram issue?

We'll then try to prime our pump to see if it will work. At least we have easy access to the water pump, so that's a plus.
Rhino33 is offline   Reply With Quote