Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Fresh Water Systems
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #1

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Pensacola Beach , Florida
Leak behind fresh water fill box

Hi everyone. We have a 2016 Flying Cloud 30FB (bunk model). During our recent Thanksgiving trip, I noticed water leaking from the underside panel directly below the fresh water fill box while filling the fresh water tank. I pulled the box and found that the interior line and clamp had backed off the fill box inlet pipe. This should be an easy fix, but the interior fill line barely reaches the skin of the trailer, so there’s not enough slack to securely clamp the fill line from the outside before installing the box. My wife has smaller hands and was able to get it close, but we still have a leak. I pulled the microwave and all the drawers in the area to see if I could get access from the inside with no luck. I don’t see an easy way to access it from underneath either.
I wish I had taken a picture but I’ll do my best here… From looking at the fresh water fill box, it has two pieces: the box/housing and the inlet pipe with the cap. The back of the housing has a couple of plastic tabs that act as stops to allow the cap to be twisted on and off, but there’s also a gap that seems to allow the inlet pipe to be removed from the box by rotating it past the tabs. With the inlet pipe removed I could clamp it to the interior line, install the box, then rotate the inlet pipe about 10 degrees back over those tabs. However, I can’t remove the inlet pipe without forcing it and damaging those tabs, and I’m not sure I could rotate it back over those tabs once installed anyway.
This really should be an easy fix. I have a feeling I’m missing something obvious. My last idea is to rig some kind of an extension to the back of the inlet pipe. The extension would reach further into the interior fill line and would probably stop any leaking even if the clamp isn’t quite secure.
Has anyone run into this before? Any advice is appreciated.
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving.
-Steve
Everage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
I have the same issue on my 2019 FC26, and I just logged on to see if there was an easy fix. I get drips at the city fresh water connection, and also have a leak whenever I use the wastewater flush connection.
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, when my trailer was brand new it had a water leak on the floor after filling my fresh water tank. I found that when someone at the factory was trimming the vinyl flooring, they cut the fresh water filler hose. I wanted to remove the filler assembly but it was sealed on the outside and had about five pounds of sealer inside of the wall; So it wasn't coming out. I did get my filler hose replaced, but it was extremely difficult to do.

I think you can do it, but it won't be easy.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote