Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2004, 12:19 AM   #101

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Lookin' good, Shari! Forrest is an alright-guy for setting you guys up with that - it looks fantastic! I'm looking forward to taking a closer look at it at the VAC rally. Maybe when I come home I'll finally dig in and sew mine up. I've got the canvas, I just need to get to it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:26 PM   #102
3 Rivet Member

Shari,
Love your long awaited vintage awning and how cool to get it from Forrest!
Just a couple of questions about the mechanics because it's pretty much just what I want. It looks like just 3 poles with guy wires and one across the back end by the trailer. Is this right?
I would like to order the poles from REI if so since we dont have one around here. Do you know the part numbers? Also how is it attached to the trailer? I have some things that look like "eyes" on my trailer. I assume that this is what they are for.
Thanks, Heidi
hhuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 01:55 PM   #103
4 Rivet Member

Shari: Great looking rig! How did you special order that beautiful cloud in the sky?
Old 07-12-2004, 03:22 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Thumbs up Yeah...Forrest is terrific!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuber
Shari,
Love your long awaited vintage awning and how cool to get it from Forrest!
Just a couple of questions about the mechanics because it's pretty much just what I want. It looks like just 3 poles with guy wires and one across the back end by the trailer. Is this right?
I would like to order the poles from REI if so since we dont have one around here. Do you know the part numbers? Also how is it attached to the trailer? I have some things that look like "eyes" on my trailer. I assume that this is what they are for.
Thanks, Heidi
We use three poles along the front & five guy lines, stakes and tensioners - two on each corner & one in the center. We got them all and the 1/8" nylon rope from REI. Here are links to the REI website with exactly what we got:

Poles
Stakes
Tensioners

There are no poles at the trailer, the wind was just blowing and the awning was a bit 'kinked'. It attaches to the trailer with an extruded plastic cord. Some use rope or have the fabric wrapped around it, ours just has the exposed plastic cord. Works great!

Even with the wind...it didn't take any longer to set-up or take down than the Zip Dees our neighbors had.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 03:24 PM   #105
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShep
Shari: Great looking rig! How did you special order that beautiful cloud in the sky?
Pretty cool cloud...huh?! I'd say 'Welcome to Colorado'...but we were about a mile & a half into Wyoming

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 07-13-2004, 09:01 AM   #106
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
As you know, I am preparing to make a DIY awning, but I do have some questions. It looks like there are lateral support poles. I have copied one of your photos for some questions:

1. Are there lateral support poles (Poles A-D in the photo)?
2. Is there a rope welting (piping) to hold the awning in the channel?
3. What is involved in getting the awning connected to the trailer? Do you need a ladder?
4. Are the lateral support poles tensioned? If so, how?
5. How deep is it (distance from trailer to outer edge)?

Thanks!

Mary
Attached Images

fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 10:46 AM   #107
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
The picture is too small to read your notes...but I think I get what you're asking.

There are only the three vertical poles...no intermediates on ours. The awning itself is basically a flat piece of 8'x10' (10' along trailer) 'fabric' with a scalloped edge & a 5-6" vertical seam at the two outside corners to form the valance. There are no other seams on ours along the edges (or valance) only a plastic extruded 'piping' that fits into the awning channel. The saggy crease just out from the trailer is because the wind was blowing and the guy lines had slacked a bit. Post #105 above shows all the pieces (and links to where I got them) there are, 3-poles, 5-stakes, 5-tensioners & about 90' of rope.

We do use a small step stool to feed the welt into the awning channel, but it slides in pretty easily, just need that extra 12-18" step.

Hope this helps...

Shari

Old 07-13-2004, 11:13 AM   #108

1968 17' Caravel
In Calistoga I saw all kinds of awnings, and several had extra poles in the fabric to help keep it stiff, but they were unnecessary, in my opinion. There were many awnings, even large ones, that only had the verticle poles holding them up and held them up just fine, as long as the guylines were tight.

I have also seen pictures of someone who has a slightly taller center pole, so the awning is angled up in the center like a boy scout tent, so rain will drain off and not puddle on the awning. Obviously they live in the NW!

Old 07-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #109
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
Elastic at the top?

Stephanie,

I came into this thread a bit late but I had a thought about your window awnings. Could you perhaps attach them to the window at the top by adding a strip of elastic band from side to side that would go under the window? If the elastic was permanently attached at both sides then you would install the awning by slipping it over the window sort of like putting a pillow case on a pillow.

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #110
3 Rivet Member

Shari,
Thanks for the exact info-links and all! I'm thinking that I may make the canvas part myself or have it sewn at an awning co. here. Seems easy. Do you think that the increased weight of the canvas (over vinyl) would still hold up with the setup you have? Also I just have 2 eyes sticking out on the trailer-I guess I'll just tie it on. Sounds like you have something different.
Heidi
Old 07-13-2004, 02:55 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Your welcome Heidi ~

Quote:
Thanks for the exact info-links and all! I'm thinking that I may make the canvas part myself or have it sewn at an awning co. here. Seems easy. Do you think that the increased weight of the canvas (over vinyl) would still hold up with the setup you have?
I don't think the canvas will weigh much more...this is pretty heavy vinyl, the kind with fabric mesh in it, not the flimsy kind.
Quote:
Also I just have 2 eyes sticking out on the trailer-I guess I'll just tie it on. Sounds like you have something different.
You're right, I have an extruded aluminum awning rail instead of the hooks...maybe the Caravels didn't have the rail as a standard item, I don't know...

Shari

Old 07-13-2004, 05:29 PM   #112
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Yessiree! That's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks for the quick reply--sorry about the picture--I'm still trying to figure out the scaling issues for posting pics.

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 06:59 PM   #113

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Stephanie,

I came into this thread a bit late but I had a thought about your window awnings. Could you perhaps attach them to the window at the top by adding a strip of elastic band from side to side that would go under the window? If the elastic was permanently attached at both sides then you would install the awning by slipping it over the window sort of like putting a pillow case on a pillow.

Malcolm
Yes, in fact I saw several at Calistoga done like that. Looked like they stayed on just fine. They used wide elastic, and I think the ones I looked at closely had one elastic band near the top and another near the bottom.

Heidi, my Caravel has an awning rail, but I think the PO installed it.

Old 07-13-2004, 08:59 PM   #114
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhuber
I just have 2 eyes sticking out on the trailer-I guess I'll just tie it on.
There's a place in Denver called Cherokee RV, it's a salvage yard, and they have awning rails. I'll bet there's someplace near you similar...or maybe Camping World or AS dealler can get one if the eyes/ties don't work.

Shari

Old 07-13-2004, 09:44 PM   #115
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Looking Awnings...

Greetings Heidi

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
There's a place in Denver called Cherokee RV, it's a salvage yard, and they have awning rails. I'll bet there's someplace near you similar...or maybe Camping World or AS dealler can get one if the eyes/ties don't work.

Shari
Awning rail is a part that is not unique to Airstream, but it may be white or colonial white if sourced from someone other than an Airstream dealer. When my Airstream dealer installed new Zip Dee window awnings on the bathroom and bedroom windows of my Overlander, I learned that it is a normally stocked part in their service department.

Good luck with your awning project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 09:48 PM   #116
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
More blue Rocky Mt sky!

Nice photos Shari! Again, we are just happy you could use it. I need to read the forums more often though, my ears are burning!

Here's a photo I took while lounging under my Zip Dee in the Sand Dunes National Monument last week. It was pretty windy, with gusts to 25 mph, and if you'll look carefully at the photo, you'll see that I used a rope tie-down to stabilize the awning. The old fashion, vintage, style has had that all along! So, I don't know that the vintage awnings are at any great disadvantage compared to the expense of a 'modern' one, eh?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zip Dee from down under, a.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	7744  
Old 07-14-2004, 09:57 AM   #117
3 Rivet Member

Thanks to all who provided info on the awning rail. Still trying to figure out how they work. We're going camping this weekend and usually see 1-2 AS. Maybe I'll see an awning rail.
Now for the big question-if those eyes are not for an awning what are they for? They are in just the right place for an awning-2 eyes sticking out of the trailer. Seems like you could just hook an awning to them but rain will go through. I'll try to post a pic when I get home.
Heidi
Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #118

1968 17' Caravel
It could have been a previous owners response to not having an awning rail. I'd think an awning rail would be better, because it would spread out the stress of being tugged on by the wind over a larger area, with more rivets supporting it. Not saying your won't work though. Can't wait to see the picture of what you have.

Old 04-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #119
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Just had to do it...

Although we used the awning Forrest gave us last year and loved it, we finally got the awning of my dreams! It's custom made by TCT & A Industries out of Twin City, IL out of Sunbrella fabric. I also ordered extra fabric to make window awnings out of...maybe I will finish them tomorrow and snap a few shots to post.

The coordinating ZipDee chairs are on order...we're stylin' now!

Shari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1306.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	11358  

Old 04-09-2005, 09:25 PM   #120
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Nice looking awning. Suits you guys and your lovely trailer to a 'T'. Once you get the chairs, you'll have to post another picture.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote