Old 07-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Zip Dee

Andy,

I called Zip Dee last week about getting new fabric for my awning. The guy quoted me a price of about $27 a foot, as Lewster stated earlier. Does that include the tube? The man at Zip Dee never mentioned anything about it. Or is that something I should call back and ask explicitly about?

I know they have a good reputation for quality stuff, but man are they expensive....

Old 07-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Andy,

I called Zip Dee last week about getting new fabric for my awning. The guy quoted me a price of about $27 a foot, as Lewster stated earlier. Does that include the tube? The man at Zip Dee never mentioned anything about it. Or is that something I should call back and ask explicitly about?

I know they have a good reputation for quality stuff, but man are they expensive....
Jim.

Zip Dee is # 1. All of their products are # 1. Their prices, while seemingly high, are really rather cheap, when you
figure the cost per year.

Other brands, last 5 years, generally speaking.

Zip Dee's last 25 to 30 years, and more, especially when they changed to nylon stitching.

The cost you were quoted, is for fabric "only."

The cost for the case, fabric and roller is much more.

I am not at my office, so I can't quote a price.

The cost of the "CFR" considering "ZERO" risk of installation, is well worth it.

The cost for "fabric only" gets to be far more expensive than the "CFR," when you consider the failure rate of proper installation to be almost 100 percent.

I don't know who you talked to by name, but if it was "Matt," I would take what he says less than a grain of salt.

Sorry, he just sent a drop shipped awning to us, instead of directly to the customer, "as the paper work that he filled out" instructed him to do.

The "real" Zip Dee answer person is Linda.

However, she is in Hawaii right now, staying at the Hilton Hawaiian Village, my home away from home.

I think she will be back to work on the 16th of July.

Andy

Old 07-09-2007, 02:54 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Ashland , Missouri
hmmm, really appreciate all this information. our awning had been rolled up wrong. backwards somehow, my husband is the one who studied it.

we found measurements and figures for a new awning somewhere in all the paperwork/manuals. sounds like someone may have taken the awning fabric off to measure or whatever and then attempted to get it back on and functional. ?

seems that even if we took it off, got it cleaned up, had someone sew it up, it still could be a mess to get it back on. fabric can be very hard to coax, sort of like herding cats.

i know the zipdee is worth what it costs. but given we will only be able to leave our AS at our camping resort (have them spot for us for about $10 since we had to sell our gas guzzling crew cab) and use who knows how long.. a year? 10? these $.25M hospital bills and $5000-$8000/mo drug bills
don't leave much room for long range spending or planning.

looks like it will be a screened pavillion for us.

sure am glad we didn't do anything that would have been a waste of money. we'lll just shove her back in there or dismantle or whatever and get over it!

e
Lost Valley Lake Resort #5611
http://www.lostvalleylake.com Woodalls 5W, Coast to Coast 5 Star. Coast to Coast members come enjoy!
cccamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:09 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Our local Airstream place replaced fabrics on our Zip Dee awnings and we have no problems with them.

We saved a lot of money since our hardware was in good shape.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Ocean Isle Beach , North Carolina
OMG. Wish I had seen this post before I ordered the new awning fabric for all four of our awnings. I want to find a Zip Dee youtube video to watch how this is done.....the stupid paper they send with the new awnings is puzzling to say the least! I spent a lot of money and looks like I am doomed to failure.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:18 PM   #20
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Replacing the fabric is not hard.... I took mine off, had all the seams restitched and put it back on.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:54 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
My wife and I did ours yesterday, took about 90 minutes. It wasn't difficult and turned out great!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	286618