Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-21-2002, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
1966 26' Overlander
1965 24' Tradewind
Rapid City , so. dak.
awning replacement

Has anyone experience with the Carter Super Shade Mark IV (model 349) awning system. We've had some difficulty with roll out and getting the arms to lock properly, which is cetainly not a smooth task at least. However this may very well be due to age alone.

In the area of aesthetics I am interested in eventually replacing the awning fabric, although I am not opposed to replacing the whole unit with a Zip-Dee, which appears to be the leading choice. i am wondering what kind of expenses we can expect going either route, keeping in mind we are in an area with limited resources, certainly Airstream specific.

Thanks for sharing all the terrific advice and knowledge that keeps us inspired...

carmen
carmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Awning Replacement

Greetings Carmen!

I can't claim to be familiar with the Carter Super Shade Mark IV awning system that you have, but I had similar experiences with the A & E Travel Awn 5,000 that was on my Overlander when I purchased it nearly 8 years ago. I was determined to maintain the original equipment awning on the trailer since it had been there ever since I first met the trailer in 1964. After spending more than 1/2 the price of a new Zip Dee awning in repairs on the Travel Awn 5,000, I finally gave up and replaced the awninng with a new Zip Dee - - ended up splurging on window awnings for the bedroom and bathroom of my coach as well. The Zip Dee operates more smoothly and is much more attractive in its closed position than the A & E. The choice was even easier when the A & E rep told me that the only parts of my awning that would still be supported via new parts would be the roller tube assembly and awning fabric.

While it may be difficult to give up on the original equipment awning, it may be financially prudent as it doesn't take too long to invest a great deal in repairs before you know what is happening. The Zip Dee is an extremely high quality unit, and the three (main curbside, rear bathroom, and streetside bedroom) awnings were less than $2,700. installed - - my dealer called Zip Dee to get the precise instructions for measuring the awnings prior to ordering to be sure that he ordered the precise size with the proper hardware.

Good luck with your decision!
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 08:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
awnings

I recently purchased a full set of zip-dee's used from colaw Rv salvage in carthage missouri . The full set with all hardware was about 800 dollars. A 21' and a 8' for the double windows and a 4' for the single window. I did not get the rear window awning because we have the original blinds in the back. They had a 2002 32 that they had just put on the lot the day we went. It was wrecked while it was being delivered and still had the plastic on the floor. So we got lucky and got the awnings off of it. Their web site is www.colawrvsalvage.com . We drove 6 hours to get there and I would have driven twice that far to save $1500. Good luck.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 06:18 AM   #4
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Lucky You!

You must have cleaned them out, I have been talking to them for three days trying to get Zip Dee Awnings and They are all out.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 09:26 AM   #5

Carmen,

Check the FIAMMA awning (in most parts catalogs or on the web)
I will be buying one with the grey fabric.
They are easy to install and to use , all you need to do first is have the shell painted grey.

Ron
NewStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote