Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
Awning mount custom trim install!

The Zip-Dee awning mounted on my, 2001 30',on the rear bed room window has always presented a cleaning problem because of the mount. The stright mounting hardware is attached to the end of the coach, but both ends are open on the curved ends. This allows dirt and debree to collect on the fabric below and shows a dirty spot everytime I open it. So, this is my fix.

I purchased a short section of aluminum angle, 1/2"x3/4" and cut a templet the size of the opening.(see pic's) I cut the 3/4 side to match the curved opening, and attached it with pop rivets on the 1/2" side. I left a 1/6" gap to prevent touching the skin and then used a mastic filler to make it shed water and dirt. One could use other plastics or materials to make the filler pieces but this one seemed to work and shouldn't present a problem for any future repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim 1.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	49284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim 2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	49285  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fin.Trim 1.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	49286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fin. Trim 2.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	49287  

fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Nice job, Fred! I need to install a Zip Dee on the rear window of my trailer (if I get brave enough) & will definitely keep that tip in mind!

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Fred,

Nice job!......but you didn't really have to go thru that. The awning rail flexes as does the cloth connection between the rail and the cover. You can rivet it right to the curving wall with no ill effects!

I've done many like this and if Zip-Dee thought that you needed the spacer template, they surely would have included it with the awning.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 09:50 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
No trim??

Lew, if AS knows this the correct way to mount the Zip-Dee, then why didn't they finish the job at the factory????? Is it to make the curved section of the end replaceable with removing the window awning?? And are they finishing up like this now??

Confused, retired manufactureing engineer!
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred bartlet
Lew, if AS knows this the correct way to mount the Zip-Dee, then why didn't they finish the job at the factory????? Is it to make the curved section of the end replaceable with removing the window awning?? And are they finishing up like this now??

Confused, retired manufactureing engineer!
Hey Fred,

I can't really say what the factory is doing, as I installed mine myself and do all of the other installs the same way. It sure doesn't make sense to leave that end hanging in the breeze.

I'll give Zip-Dee a buzz and get the answer from them and let you know what they say.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote