Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Does anyone know if there is an abrasive of any kind or grade in the SS?? Can it be used on newer (Alcoa Plasticoat) to remove or minimize minor scratches (not through the coating)???
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #122
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
When my friend and I ordered a case of SS from the manufacturer, he sent us half of the case with a higher abrasive content. SS needs to shaken before using but before shaking the bottle, you can see the line of separation between the two different liquids. On the bottles with the higher abrasive, that level of the thicker liquid was an inch or so higher than the less abrasive bottle. SS has a mild abrasive in it. You can tell when you rub it between your fingertips although its barely discernable. It should work on your clearcoat.

FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 09:27 AM   #123
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Yep, there's no doubt about that. With hand rubbing and a little pressure, you can readily remove clearcoat with SS. I'm not recommending that, but I've done it and I know it works, at least on my clearcoat.

I just got my bottle of Gord's. I'll hand test this weekend at the Forum rally in Vermont. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a few willing volunteers to join the testing process, on my trailer!

Gord's separates even faster than SS, so you definitely need to follow the directions and shake it frequently. Just standing for a few hours, it will completely separate into 90% clear liquid (mineral spirits?) and 10% greenish sludge.

By the way, don't get the idea I'm going to come back this weekend making a recommendation of SS vs Gord's vs Nuvite vs Rolite vs Mother's vs Met-All, etc. I'm going to play with the Gord's a little, not polish an entire trailer with it. To date, my experience and that of others has been that there is no "magic bullet" solution. I will comment on what Gord's did in brief testing and let others take it from there.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 10:51 AM   #124
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
I just got my bottle of Gord's. I'll hand test this weekend at the Forum rally in Vermont. Maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a few willing volunteers to join the testing process, on my trailer!

I have 2 alluminum tanks that I'd be happy to volunteer for this test. you could polish one with Gords, the other with SS, and we'll post the pics afterward.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 10:56 PM   #125
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
All finished!

I finally completed the SS polishing project on my '71 Caravel 2 days ago, not to my complete satisfaction but I decided enough was enough. Some areas shined up much better than others.
I had a buyer waiting in the wings, pending the outcome of the polishing job and sold the coach yesterday, so I guess I didn't botch it up too badly.
My next Airstream will be bought for pure enjoyment with only necessary maintenance to keep it operating and looking good. No more polishing for me, be it SS or any other method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ext001.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	8615   Click image for larger version

Name:	ext002.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	8616  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ext003.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	8617   Click image for larger version

Name:	ext004.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	8618  

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:26 AM   #126
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Hey Rog

How long did it take you and what would you say the level of difficulty was? Say 1 is a cake walk and 10 is very difficult.

Guess your glad to be finished! After all that why did you sell?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:39 AM   #127
2 Rivet Member

inch by inch we're shining our 65 AS :(

I don't think I read enough before we started this project. I bought a Dewalt 7/9 polisher and a couple of bottles of Southern Shine and probably 30 rags from the auto dept at Walmart. The wool buffer pad is caked with hardened black goo. I don't understand the method for getting it off. If I put a screw driver next to the buffer while it's running won't it be pulled right out of my hand and possibly injure someone? Like maybe poke my eye out? We are also using Duragloss Metal Polish and Mother's something or other. My husband and I just keep going in circles of using the 3 different products--usually by hand with a rag. The results are OK but very slow and it looks like small water spots some of which are rust colored below the surface. Is there any way these can be removed? No amount of polishibg seems to touch them.

Should I buy the Nuvile products and the spur? Another $100

We don't mind the work but it doesn't look like we expected.

Ann
PS...Anyone want to come to the beautiful wine country in the Finger Lakes of New York and "show us how it's done?"
AnnZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:24 AM   #128
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
You know

Quote:
PS...Anyone want to come to the beautiful wine country in the Finger Lakes of New York and "show us how it's done?"
Ann,
I WISHED...Sounds like lovely country...
Let's see if we can help you and your husband...
In order to get those imperfections removed,
check this thread for some ideas~
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=6614
personally, the only real way to get down to the level your talking abt..I found you had to do it by hand..It's different for each unit and, what worked for me, might not work for you..
You just have to keep trying until you hit upon the method that works best for you.
Good luck to you both~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #129
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnZ3
If I put a screw driver next to the buffer while it's running won't it be pulled right out of my hand and possibly injure someone?
Ann,
You take a large flat blade screwdriver in your right hand. Grasp the screwdriver shaft so that your thumb is against the flat portion of the screwdriver blade but not at the end of it and the handle is near your little finger. Holding it firmly and with the buffer spinning you will place the screwdriver blade in so it is parellel to the pads surface and starting from the center you let it work to the edge. When you place it in the center and work out the spinning motion must be away from you and as you draw the screwdriver toward the edge of the pad the screwdriver will be pulling in your hand rather then pushing. If your still unsure as to what I am saying go to any body shop in your area and ask them to show you how to clean the buffing pad by using the screwdriver and while your there ask them about the spur too.

Quote:
The spur will not clean away the gum-up as well as the screwdriver does. Actually the sput is more for fluffing out the pad but it does clean it a little too. If your really not experienced with this type equipment then the spur might be a better idea. I really can't tell you about the Nuvite yet as I am trying out Rolite myself. If I am not pleased with it's results then I will go back with the lighter grades of Nuvite to try to get more shine.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:40 AM   #130
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
I don't think I read enough before we started this project. I bought a Dewalt 7/9 polisher and a couple of bottles of Southern Shine and probably 30 rags from the auto dept at Walmart. The wool buffer pad is caked with hardened black goo. I don't understand the method for getting it off. If I put a screw driver next to the buffer while it's running won't it be pulled right out of my hand and possibly injure someone? Like maybe poke my eye out? We are also using Duragloss Metal Polish and Mother's something or other. My husband and I just keep going in circles of using the 3 different products--usually by hand with a rag. The results are OK but very slow and it looks like small water spots some of which are rust colored below the surface. Is there any way these can be removed? No amount of polishibg seems to touch them.

Ann

Hi Ann of the Finger Lakes,

I polished the Flying Cloud with SS. One thing you need to check on is if your TT has a clearcoat as needs to be removed before polishing. Mine did not. Can't remember how you do tell but is posted on website somewhere. Just do a search.

I have listed a couple of posts I made that can give you an idea how to do and before/after pictures of my TT.

Also, if your goal is to get a fairly perfect mirror shine, then the SS method may not be for you. You can see before/after pictures of mine in threads below. But those pictures are from about 10 feet away. Up close you will see some swirl marks or not as shiny spots, etc.

I did buy a rake to clean pads. I think cost about $6.00. Don't think I am an expert at this. Just do search on site for others opinion of doing SS polishing. Don't overuse the SS. A little goes a long ways.

Only use fine sandpaper 1000 or higher on the really pitted spots. However, there are some that say you shouldn't use sandpaper.

The black goo is pretty much all picked up by the buffing pads. The little remaining I removed with Terry Cloth towels and a little mineral spirits.

Read the PerfectPolish website on how they do. Even though I didn't use the Cyclo Polisher or Nuvite, it will give you tips.

Randy
Ex-resident of the Finger Lakes

http://www.airforums.com/forum...692#post108692 Post #60

http://www.airforums.com/forum...4358#post54358 Post #18

http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=6816 Post #3
54FlyingCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:48 AM   #131
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
Hey Rog
How long did it take you and what would you say the level of difficulty was? Say 1 is a cake walk and 10 is very difficult.
Tim, I wish I had kept track of the hours, but I worked on it in my spare time throughout the summer and I can tell you that I seriously underestimated how long the job would take, especially since it cannot be done in direct sunlight and I didn't have a sheltered or shaded area available.
The clearcoat stripping alone was nearly half the battle. The wet sanding , polishing, buffing and waxing were much harder than I expected, so I'd have to give it a 10 on the difficulty level.

Quote:
Guess your glad to be finished! After all that why did you sell?
Quite simply, I got carried away and let my ego override my common sense. What I originally wanted was a nice little AS to camp in with minimal investment.
What I wound up with was a "showpiece" with major investment in both time and $ which I can't take into the backwoods areas I like to camp in for fear of damaging it. I also took into account the fact that the new shine was going to require constant maintenance.
If I decide that my next one must be polished, I'd hire the job out to a pro. My time will be better spent in enjoying my AS rather than showing it off, but that's just me.
Different strokes for different folks.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #132
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I hear ya Rog. It is lots of hard work however one trys to do it.

I also understand about having a trailer to use vs a show piece. My trailer is completely compounded and looking ok. Then this year my kid ran into with is bike while camping ;-(

I started up again with the finishing buffing a couple of weeks ago. Its tough to get some time to get to work on it when you have to do it outdoors.

Did having your trailer polished bring more $$ at the time of sale?
Old 09-06-2004, 02:40 PM   #133
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Quote:
Did having your trailer polished bring more $$ at the time of sale?
I don't think there's any doubt that a polished trailer will fetch a much better selling price, but considering the cost of supplies and equipment plus the many long hours of hard labor, I seriously doubt that it's a justifiable procedure just to raise the resale value.
Besides, it's harder to part with a nice shiny trailer after you've worked your butt off on it.

Old 09-06-2004, 02:44 PM   #134
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
The results are OK but very slow and it looks like small water spots some of which are rust colored below the surface. Is there any way these can be removed? No amount of polishibg seems to touch them.

Ann,

I have come to realize the polishing an Airstream is just like dieting to loose weight. Different techniques work for different people and bodies. Just like different techniques work different on Aistream trailers.

Part of the biggest time and energy killer is learning the style that works for you and your trailer.

I searched all I could on the net and I am still learning new stuff.

I'll give you a couple of links you have probably seen already but just read and reread and experiment. No matter how you do it, it's a lot of hard hard work and somewhat expensive depending on the tools you have and the method you choose.

Perfect Polish
http://globetrotter64.home.att.net/complete.htm
Old 09-07-2004, 05:19 AM   #135
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
Tim, I wish I had kept track of the hours, but I worked on it in my spare time throughout the summer and I can tell you that I seriously underestimated how long the job would take, especially since it cannot be done in direct sunlight and I didn't have a sheltered or shaded area available.
The clearcoat stripping alone was nearly half the battle. The wet sanding , polishing, buffing and waxing were much harder than I expected, so I'd have to give it a 10 on the difficulty level.

Quite simply, I got carried away and let my ego override my common sense. What I originally wanted was a nice little AS to camp in with minimal investment.
What I wound up with was a "showpiece" with major investment in both time and $ which I can't take into the backwoods areas I like to camp in for fear of damaging it. I also took into account the fact that the new shine was going to require constant maintenance.
If I decide that my next one must be polished, I'd hire the job out to a pro. My time will be better spent in enjoying my AS rather than showing it off, but that's just me.
Different strokes for different folks.
I think this is the path we are going. We just bought our AS about 3 weeks ago. I bought it from a man from Louisana who advised us if we wanted to polish it to hire a "laborer." I thought why bother with that..I have my own in house laborer. So I looked on line and fell in love with the polished vintage Airstreams...especially the Caravels. I've ordered blue and while striped awnings and my husband and I are polishing like mad with the fall winds starting to blow here in New York. I am having small thoughts creeping in...imaging us opening the doors to my son's barn and seeing a completly oxidized AS with mouse droppings inside next May.

Thank you all for your help and the web sites.

Marching on....

Ann
AnnZ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 08:29 AM   #136
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
Gord's

By the way, I did post a mini-review of Gord's polish in the "Gord's Polish Will Work For You!" thread.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #137

Hamilton , Montana
Southern Shine Is Back

Hi, My Name is Ryan, And i will be rebooting the Southern Shine company come mid July. There will be a website to order the best metal polish out there. you can email me directly at ryanlbogdon@gmail.com Thanks
STHRN_SHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Glad to hear it. I think I still have a partial bottle somewhere out in the shed. I always had good luck with it on hard metal parts, such as the rear bumper.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote