Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2004, 08:12 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
I think a wet sanding with a very light- such as 1500-2000 grit paper is always a plus- even though you only have what sounds like mill marks- that brush look- it'll even out your skin nicely. Scratches require a deeper sanding- if you have none, don't bother. Also- run a test section with just SS on a 3M pad a
austreampete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2004, 05:26 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
okay....this all sounds wonderful...what is a fair price to pay someone to do this for me...i just want a better looking 1983 310 moho....but with 8 kids, and i just found out this morning another on the way...i don't have time to do this myself...i don't need perfect...i would be thrilled with anything better than it is....thanks
froggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:44 AM   #83
Scott and Susan Mixon

SS needed!

STEF...this [below] from 9/2003. Do you still have any SS left? We have a '71 Airstream in desperate need of some help!

Quote:
I've still got quite a few bottles left. Just to clarify, TT is the one who's selling it, I'm just helping out by shipping it for him. I've seen the invoice and at $4 a bottle, he's selling it for less than it cost him, just so folks can try it out. He really does just want everyone to have a chance to give it a try. If it does work and people want more of it, my husband and I will look into selling it, but it will be closer to $9-10 a bottle.
SoccerFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:19 PM   #84
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
About FF's mess-

I was speaking with Mr Brown, the man who makes the SS, and he said that the cleanest way to use it, is to apply it and wipe it around by hand, and then buff it off.

TT's instructions, and I remember you were a guinea pig, said that he put it right on the pad, and hammered away at it. Brown agreed that it works well, but gets messy, especially if you use a lot. He suggested cutting down on the amount you apply to the pad and smearing it around with it off before spinning it, or use an applicator and wipe it on by hand and then buff after its set.

Hope it helps! Cheers. Peter.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:02 PM   #85
3 Rivet Member

TT put it on the pad. Smeared the pad on the trailer and then turned it on.
TBKP's Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:39 PM   #86
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Even distribution seems to be the key. Daubing it on the skin proved to be a definite no-no for me.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 02:18 PM   #87
2 Rivet Member

www.southernshine.net

Has anybody else ordered from www.southernshine.net? I placed my order on July 22 and here it is Aug 9 (18 days later) and I still haven't seen my order. They have, however, after I requested a response, confirmed my order and payment. I am just curious if anybody else has had experience with this web site.
75Airstream500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 03:06 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Southern Shine is said to be made by Brown Labs in Ormond Beach, Florida.

Is there someone there in that area that can check them out with the BBB or the Chamber or drive by and see if they at least have a storefront or etc.
Are they in the phone book?
Course may be made in the owners kitchen. Apparently one owner is a pharmacist.

Might just be somone elses product transferred into a new container.

But it makes no difference if it works and if the supply lines are honest.
From what I have read the stuff works but the marketing has been a little suspect. But most of the sales were not from the "manufacturer" as I recall.
It is certainly very mysterious.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadeo
Is there someone there in that area that can check them out with the BBB or the Chamber or drive by and see if they at least have a storefront or etc.
Are they in the phone book?
You can check this as easily as anybody else. The info should be available over the internet.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #90
Vintage RV

1959 24' Tradewind
Atascadero , California
Send a message via Yahoo to plowboy
Has anyone polished thier AS w/ metalwax

Has anyone tried Metalwax? I don't know if I should be posting this question here or start a new thread. Thier website (www.metalwax.com) shows an airstream which was polished using this product. I was going to try it myself but would like to know if anyone else has used it.

Paul
plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:09 PM   #91
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edie g
You can check this as easily as anybody else. The info should be available over the internet
Edie G. thanks for the tip. But I tried that before I posted.
I did a google and a yellow pages search. Nothing under Brown Labs. Southern Shine brought up the above linked web site. also lots of Airstream forum threads.

If I recall correctly Ormond Beach is in a cluster of other communities. But even using Florida only I returned nothing. I do not know how to access BBB or Chamber info thru the web. I very much hope that SS is a legit deal, since it seems to work according to many reports.
roadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 10:51 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I ordered my SS from these people and got it in about 5 days:

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/polish.htm
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2004, 02:22 PM   #93
2 Rivet Member

Finally...

I finally received my order from www.southernshine.com today, 20 days after I placed my order online. I think I will try the other suggested link next time. I was anxious to test it out, however, and I was very pleased with the results. It worked fast and easy. Just a warning though, shake well and don't even do your test in nice clothes. It is really runny...I think I may have ruined a pair of nice pants unless someone knows a secret to removing the green spill I have just adopted. I will post a before and after shot once we get it done.

It was very ironic. Today I came home to (2) boxes in the mail. One was the SS I ordered 20 days ago and the other was the sikaflex-221 I ordered yesterday afternoon! (ordered from: http://www.austinhardware.com/produc...478&pf_id=3243) I was SO amazed at how quickly the sikaflex came...and that was STANDARD ground! Shipped to Oklahoma from Missouri.

Anyway, off I go to shine!

Lisa
75Airstream500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 01:51 PM   #94

tried in vain to reach e mail address given to order some SS, could use some
help as it sounds to good to be true , many thanks Robert Moe
ROBERT MOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:57 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Portland , Oregon
How much SS?

Bob,

What size is the bottle listed at the website you posted? Is it 32oz?

Others,

I saw some mention earlier that it might take 3 bottles for a 31' AS. Does anyone have any recent feedback on the number (and size) of bottles needed?

Has anyone compared SS to Gord's?

Thanks,

Malcolm
malconium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 04:13 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

SS shine on 1990 and newer

I would like to see results of anyone polishing a newer AS with SS, or metal wax. I have not seen any except a picture from a $9000 job done in California
on a 97 limited.
It is my understanding that only pre 1984 models will polish up with good results.

Rick
0557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 05:50 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Hi Malcom, the bottle I got was the 8 oz. size. I use it sparingly, and it does seem to go a long ways. Its the best aluminum polish I've ever tried. Got it from: http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/polish.htm
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 08:19 PM   #98
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Re: how much SS and Re: Gord's

I've used three 8 oz bottles to get about 80% of my Caravel polished thus far, but I've had to redo some of the panels.
So it looks like my ratio is going to be approx 1/4 oz of SS per lineal foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malconium
Bob,
Has anyone compared SS to Gord's?
Thanks,
Malcolm
I mentioned on a different thread that I tried a sample of Gord's on my aluminum LP tanks and it seemed to work as well as SS. Perhaps others have tried it and have some input?

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Old 08-20-2004, 07:19 PM   #99
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Almost done

I snapped this pic just 2 hours ago. I have only 2 panels and some redos left, I'm estimating another 8 hours or so to finish.
If you look at it up close and personal, there are numerous flaws, but good enough is good enough for me.
Am I glad I did it? yes
Would I do it again? no
Would I recommend that anyone else use SS to polish their AS rather than the tried and true method? not if you want a mirror shine and are just looking to save some time and $ but cannot be happy with less than a pro result.
But that's just me.
My opinion plus 37 cents could buy a postage stamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aug20001.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	8450  

Old 08-21-2004, 04:13 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Professional Results-

Are acquired by the tried and true method of wet sanding and then polishing- choose whatever you like- SS worked great for me- had I have sanded the whole trailer I'd have had a perfect job.

Using a buffer, with compound from the expensive suppliers and then a cyclo to remove all the damage you just did- is a waste of time and the creation of a whole new job. Spend $1 on wet n dry paper, get 800/1200/2000 and spend the $10 on a bottle of SS and TRY it on a square ft of the trailer and see what you have- nothing lees than fantastic- and no swirls. The pads cost a little more- but well worth it. Its realistically a 20-30 hour job if you get on it and hustle- a long devoted weekend did it for me- but mine is splotchy- I only wet sanded my problem areas and they look better than the rest- can't tell from a distance, but I'll repeat it in a few months.

You guys have the information to do it right- its been all over this forum for 2 years now- anyone who doesn't try this one first has my sympathy- its the simplest and most straightforward- and least expensive as well- way to get you trailer shined yourself without making it a 100-120 hour job with "tried and true" thats not available in any real aircraft facility that polishes.

Aircraft are polished this way- or with a tool called Airmark if its on a larger scale- but when I asked around- no one said that they used a cyclo- I'm sure some do, but very few- its only a trailer hobbyists item- not practical for production.