Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-02-2009, 07:53 PM   #41
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
grinder question

Would this be a good grinder to use with the Jestco Airstream kit? Is there a better option?

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #42
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
Would this be a good grinder to use with the Jestco Airstream kit? Is there a better option?

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
Man 14.8 pounds for 40 hours You will have some "big guns" when you are done! Try looking for a "buffer" there they should be lighter and have a variable speed motor. Good price though. Mike
http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...keyword=buffer
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #43
1 Rivet Member

1981 27' International
HYDE PARK , New York
Buffer on ebay

I HAVE BEEN USING THIS BUFFER AND IT IS WORKING VERY WELL ATD 10511 7" Polisher w/Bonnet & 1 Year Warranty $49.95:eBay Motors (item 1104
j0urneymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Shouldn't you use a four inch grinder with this kit?
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #45
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Shouldn't you use a four inch grinder with this kit?
I asked that before, but nobody answered. I used a 7 or 8 inch grinder when I polished the first time using nuvite, not sure what to use for this.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:44 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
The small buff pads are 4 inches. I don't see how you could use them with a larger grinder. I suppose if the guard were removed (if possible) any size pad could work. We've bought several brands over the years (we use them in our business) and the Milwallkee has held up the best, although I really liked the Makita I used first.
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I'm using the Jestco products to polish right now. I have both the Harbor freight polisher & a 5" variable speed Makita grinder. Truthfully, the Makita is a bit scarry. Today, I got my $100 Bose earbuds caught in the grinder. They were whipping around & got me in the leg pretty good. I just threw the grinder because I couldn't go through the pain of turning it off. Luckily, it came unplugged on the toss. It still works! I found pieces of the earbuds about 20 feet away! I also hit the corner of the vent from above the stove (on the outside). Yep, I bent it. Thankfully, through all of this, I managed to stay on my ladder! The Harbor freight polisher is a little tamer. I hope to make it through this process without any broken bones. Last time I polished my former trailer, I dislocated my shoulder (with the Harbor freight polisher!)
Good luck....be careful (more so than I anyhow!)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #48
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
The small buff pads are 4 inches. I don't see how you could use them with a larger grinder. I suppose if the guard were removed (if possible) any size pad could work. We've bought several brands over the years (we use them in our business) and the Milwallkee has held up the best, although I really liked the Makita I used first.
Put the 4" in a drill...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
Here I am using a Northern Tool 7" Polisher with an 8" buff. I tried the smaller buffs on a drill, but you do not make the same progress as you do with a 3000-3500 RPM Polisher.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2541 cropped.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	83360  

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):
https://ts8501.blogspot.com/

TAC MN-6
WBCCI/VAC 11736
AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Webb Lake , Wisconsin
I've been using the harbor freight variable speed polisher with a flannel buff pad from Lowes, but they have them at sears also. Sears also has the rouge for buffing. I'm using the red stuff (Tripoli) for the initial cut. and I bought some white rouge for a final buff (with a loose buff pad), but I don't know if I'll go that direction. after experimenting for a wihile with all the different recommendations for polishing, I tried buffing with the tripoli, then following up with a quick hand polish with Mothers, and it works pretty decent. I'm not going for the ultra shine right now. that will be later on.

I've had some experience buffing out aluminum on buffing stands, and I know that it helps to heat the metal before hand, so I've been working on it on the hot days in full sun. I don't think I'm too smart. I did try buffing on the hot side, and the cool side, and didn't notice too big of a difference. I am getting very little distortion on the hot side while I'm buffing though.

the picture of the rear shows the lines left by the buffer, and the spot in the middle is where I did the hand rub with the Mothers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	polish1.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	83392   Click image for larger version

Name:	Polish2.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	83393  

Name:	Polish3.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	83394  
Olielulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:33 PM   #51
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Jestco rouge bars...

How is the rouge applied to the aluminum? I thought it was supposed to be applied to the buffing wheel but wont that tear up the buffing wheel? I dont get it.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:29 PM   #52
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
How is the rouge applied to the aluminum? I thought it was supposed to be applied to the buffing wheel but wont that tear up the buffing wheel? I dont get it.
Take a look at post #49. He's using a buffing wheel with some sort of bar polish. The rouge also comes in a bar. I clamped mine to the ladder rung & ran the buffing wheel over the bar. The wheels don't tear up at all. You really are just using the wheel to transfer the rouge to the aluminum. Like with any other method of polishing, you have to get used to how much polish you apply to your wheel, along with how often you apply it. It all comes with experimenting.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Jestco rouge bars..

Greetings Gen,
The different bars (White, Grey, Rouge-red) are somewhat soft...you hold them in one hand and the grinder in the other....with the cotton buff (wheel) turning...you touch the bar to the buff....it will adhere to the buff...you don't need a lot....then apply to the surface to be polished....about 12"x12" or so...overlapping....then re apply more polish....after awhile the buff becomes clogged and you rake it to loosen the buff and continue...hope this clears it up for you. I have been polishing with this method for about 2 yrs. and have found it to be the best so far for me. I used to polish the Nuvite way and Rolite way and both those methods where twice as long and twice as expensive..but they work also...and after 7 yrs of those methods, changed to the rouge bars....but to each their on.
The attached photo is of a Caravel that I polished in 60 hrs. with the bar method...used to take me appox. 150 hrs the other methods.

Best Regards,
Levon
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5114.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	756.7 KB
ID:	92949  
Levon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jesco is a great company to work with - they are a MAJOR sponsor of our Vintage Resotoration rally in Albuquerque each year - there polishes work extremely well and you will be very pleased with the results - - - the only caution is to be very careful working at high speeds - especially arounds lights and things.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 PM   #55
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Take a look at post #49. He's using a buffing wheel with some sort of bar polish. The rouge also comes in a bar. I clamped mine to the ladder rung & ran the buffing wheel over the bar. The wheels don't tear up at all. You really are just using the wheel to transfer the rouge to the aluminum. Like with any other method of polishing, you have to get used to how much polish you apply to your wheel, along with how often you apply it. It all comes with experimenting.
Thanks, I have the bars too. It just looked to me like the bars would eat up the pads so I thought it best to ask first.

Old 12-23-2009, 05:58 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
1959 22' Flying Cloud
fairview , New Mexico
I've had good luck with the red rouge followed by never dull and the cyclo. Got a very nice shine. not mirror but something that Tamara and I like!!
arodriguez60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:58 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1969 21' Globetrotter
Cambridge , Massachusetts
Levon,
What is the size, speed and make of the grinder did you use to get the result shown in the photo you attached to post #53? I have a 4 1/2" grinder that goes 11,000 rpm. Surely that can't be the right thing. Is the set-up something like what I see in the photo in post #49? What about this adapter that is comes as part of the jestco kit? Do I need it? Did you finish with a Cyclo or was it grinder all the way? Any and all help on this will be appreciated.

John
JoePfznik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:19 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Greetings John,
The grinder I use is a Variable Speed...Maktia...max rpm is 4000...I use it around 3500 to 4000 rpm....I finish with a cyclo.....the cyclo removes the vertical lines that the grinder buffing wheel puts in the metal. Yes, you need the extender adapter...it comes with the Airstream Kit....along with a smaller one for a reg. drill to get into small places around windows and such. Feel free to ask other questions if I can be of help.
Best Regards,
Levon
Old 05-22-2010, 04:41 AM   #59
4 Rivet Member

Waters , Michigan
did jestco go out of business ? I went to the website,and it is no longer in use,any ideas?
PINKBIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 AM   #60
3 Rivet Member

1981 22' Excella II
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Colbert , Georgia
Web site being redone

Greetings,
I ordered a couple of weeks ago off the web site. After reading you post, I went to their site and it says they are rebuilding their site and I think all new and old customers have to register again.

Levon