Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
What should a 'Newby' look for

We just bought a '71 Safari 23 Twin that has been sitting awhile (4-5 years), Besides a good cleaning, what should we expect to need repair or reworking?

I plan to throw out the cushions, drapes and such, replace the tires, replace the gas tanks, and inspect the electrical, plumbing, and break systems.

Wish me luck.............
theterrells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
For a 1971:

Axles, furnace and black tank are three that are worth doing searches for on the forum. All of them have potential issues that are far too detailed to go into on one thread.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
One question before you throw out the gas tanks. Are they aluminum or steel? Aluminum ones are quite pricy and well worth updating. Steel ones, yeah, go ahead and replace them.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
Axles for sure. I would suggest trying to get a look at the frame (pulling back a few sections of belly) and make sure there are no huge frame rust issues...
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterrells View Post
We just bought a '71 Safari 23 Twin that has been sitting awhile (4-5 years), Besides a good cleaning, what should we expect to need repair or reworking?

I plan to throw out the cushions, drapes and such, replace the tires, replace the gas tanks, and inspect the electrical, plumbing, and break systems.

Wish me luck.............
Congratulations on the '71 Safari twin! I also own a '71 Safari twin dual axle.

You'll want to carefully investigate the items mentioned in the thread such as axles, brakes, refrigerator, furnace, water heater, water pump, univolt (if it hasn't already been upgraded), black water tank and fresh water tank. The Armstrong air conditioner is a good one and shouldn't be tossed out needlessly.

Be careful throwing anything out before you've had a chance to fully investigate what it will take to replace the items. You might want to use the existing cushions to measure for new ones. Unless the drapes are trash, you might be best off having them dry cleaned.

Take care and have fun with your Safari.
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Fresno , California
Don't throw your curtains out just yet! You might need them for a size template for new ones if you plan to make them yourself. That's what I'm doing right now.
Congrats on your new rig! Post some pics, whydontcha?!
1977 31' Sovereign "The Mod Pod"
2006 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Mrs.Mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
. . . a second job to pay for everything (?).

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
I have checked the frame, there are 2-3 rivets missing on the underskirt, and it is painted black and looks to be in good shape.

I am not picking it up until next week, tomorrow I am going by to remove the hub caps and spray the lugs with P-B Blaster. I will remove the wheels Monday and have new 7.00X15 tires installed. Figure that will be the best time to check the brakes and axles, I'm sure that it will need bearings repacked at the least.

I will send pictures as I get them

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterrells View Post
I have checked the frame, there are 2-3 rivets missing on the underskirt, and it is painted black and looks to be in good shape.

I am not picking it up until next week, tomorrow I am going by to remove the hub caps and spray the lugs with P-B Blaster. I will remove the wheels Monday and have new 7.00X15 tires installed. Figure that will be the best time to check the brakes and axles, I'm sure that it will need bearings repacked at the least.

I will send pictures as I get them

Thanks for all the advice.
Absolutely get new tires - and make sure that the vendor isn't selling you old ones, i.e., check the date codes (I've seen 3 year old tires being sold as new in tire shops). As well, repack the wheel bearings and check the brakes *BEFORE* attempting to tow the trailer home. If you see that the axles look like they may be problematic, consider having the trailer brought to your place on a flatbed.

Good luck with your acquisition - enjoy!
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Smile Roll up you sleeves

Do it just like you were eating an elephant. Fix everything as you discover it does not work. Get out the manual. Try the electric and replace light bulbs. Try to boil water. Then fix the cook top. Read the manual for sure. If you do not have a manual get one. In a year or two and lots of time and money you will begin to enjoy your work project. Do not take it to a dealer. They will crush you with their lack of attention to detail. After you figure out where the lights are try the 12 volt outlets. Then the water heater. Then the refrigerator and if it works thank god. After you open and clean all the closets you will have a n idea where thing are. Try staying in it in you driveway.

Read read study and don't believe everything you read on this site or any book. It is worth every minute.

I would not ever buy another one but I plan on being burried in my Excella. After redoing an argosy I knew enough to try a bigger and prittier full size. It is alot like getting married. Need patience curiosity and a loving wife.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #11

2009 16' DWR
philadelphia , Pennsylvania
is it possible to tow a 27 ft eddie baurer with a porsche cayenne
roy murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:57 AM   #12

2009 16' DWR
philadelphia , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by roy murray View Post
is it possible to pull a 27 ft eddie baurer with a porsche cayenne
roy murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
yes
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Trailer inspection checklist

Start with the trailer inspection checklist at:

Air trailer inspection.pdf (623.2 KB, 3781 views)

Fix leaks, then replace window, door, and sewer vent gaskets. Repair any damage. Upgrade brakes, tires, 7-way, breakaway switch, battery, and alarms. Then repair/replace appliances and fixtures.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Mobile , Alabama
Four new tires and our trailer is ready to pull home, we plan to do it Wednesday. As I replaced the tires I also pulled the hubs and checked then repacked the wheel bearings. The electric brakes seem to be working, (they move when power is applied) and we will only pull the trailer about 10 miles to get it home so I am not worried.

When I get it home I plan to clean it inside and out, then find and fix problems.

Pictures to follow

Thanks for all your help so far, I am sure I will need much more

Floyd
Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Put a duct tape 'patch plug' over the interior plumbing drains at the bath/shower, bath sink and galley sink (don't forget the overflow safety drain, if provided) just to keep what ever pre-dates y'all in pipes INSIDE the pipes when towing & the wind is winding through the trailer - and then keep the air-lock drain traps full once home while you clean and disinfect the system.

This would be a good opportunity to clean and dump the holding tank if its not spotless already - yes, a PITA to include a dump stop now & have the hose & valves checked and working but still easier than a special trip later on. I failed to do this, or tape the drains, when retrieving my new trailer and regret it.. see 1st Dump & North Country Warning!!