Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Hello Pierre , South Dakota! I swear everything in our Northern Tier States should be required to have a label attached that reads "Caution, Winter is closer than it appears" to include all highway signage, vehicle license plates, milk cartons, purchase receipts, all prime-time television w/ hourly 'tests of the emergency broadcast system' ... Okay, fine, might be almost enough with just those

Does the A/C fan spin freely?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #22
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Ok...everyone! I got too excited and wanted this fixed immediately. After working on this today I can clearly see how long this will take. I am going to try and just repair the bathroom area floor as it seems to be the worse. I removing everything out of the bathroom to remove that piece of sub flooring. If I am not see a lot of frame damage, maybe just maybe...I can get by without a total frame off. But again I said maybe!

My air conditoner is blowing cold air, but the fan will not turn. My refrigerator will not work. I don't know about the stove. I am shocked that all my lights work. This is going to require extensive work and time. For me time is the enemy because Winter is knocking on my door. Thanks for all your advice, yes it took a little wind out of my sail but you all were honest. Ok, so if I have a good winter and if everything goes well...just maybe (Pretty Girl) my camper will be ready next summer.

I will post pics of before and after from time to time.

Thank you all!
Unfortunatly the only way to properly asses the frame is to drop the belly pan. On my frame all the areas under the windows and openings were pretty thrashed. I had to chop a lot of metal out. I had to basically rebuild the rear of the frame and the whole area under the door. Check out my thread and you will see what I had to do.
I would go with marine grade ply for the sub floor if it is in your budget. I went with Aquatek, it is really solid stuff.
By the way you sound like you know your way around appliances, good for you!
marzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Welcome Star. I'm from Splitrock Township near Sioux Falls, SD. I bought an Airstream trailer in June of 2010 to take a trip to the UP of Michigan. I was going to leave in September. I started to clean the trailer, test systems, repair some minor neglect damage, and get ready for the trip.

The trailer was in good condition but nothing worked. What did work, my partner didn't like, and other items like the 35 year old gas furnace and the gas water heater I didn't trust. The original built-ins I didn't like, and the upholstery and furniture was past it's useful life.

I replaced the 3 roof vents with Fantastic fans, replaced the 7-way, replaced the clearance lights and breakaway switch, replaced the air conditioner, replaced the furnace, water heater, refrigerator, cooking oven/range, plumbing, sink, faucets, floor covering, interior walls, cabinets, counter tops, and installed a new bed, end tables, bedroom wall cabinet, new closet, a new jack knife sofa, and am just finishing installing new window shades.

I just finished installing a new CO detector, propane detector, and smoke alarm. Early in the project I sealed seams, detected and fixed 11 separate leaks in the living area, installed all new window and door gaskets, added solar film to windows, replaced sewer vent gaskets w/screens, set up the brakes, packed the wheel bearings, added new grease seals, bought and installed 5 new tires, installed a front window rock guard, bought a new Reese hitch, bought Rock Buster rock/mud flaps for the tow vehicle, and bought a set of extended mirrors for tow vehicle.

This spring I stripped the clearcoat and polished the trailer exterior

Next I intend to replace the awning material, add blinds to some of the interior windows, have drapes made for some of the windows, and buy a recliner to add to the living area.

I past $10,000 (over purchase price) in hard costs long ago. I didn't account for all the small costs . . . $12 here . . . $20 there. It adds up pretty fast.

I still haven't taken my vacation that I bought the trailer for.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Star, welcome to the forum. Splitrock, I bought a 1981 Excella II, spent 2 years doing what you did. Sold it, never once took it on a trip. I know just how you feel.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Look at it this way. You bought the Tradewind for $400. Not a bad starting price so as you pile in money and time your creation will grow in value. I bought a 72 Tradewind for $8,000. Put another 8 K in her doing all the stuff, axles, fridge furnace, woodwork, curtains. They after I was done she was stolen. So you might want to budget for insurance. Wish I would have.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote