Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Gas Stove Burner Igniters Won't Fire

The gas stove burner igniters in my 2017 25FB won't fire. Does anyone have idea about how to troubleshoot the issue?
Old 09-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I believe you will find a 12V circuit that goes into the stove. I'd start by checking it with a multimeter.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:59 AM   #3
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Begin by lifting your stove top up and looking below to make sure the wires that connect the ignitor to the burners are connected. You may also be able to tell from above if you see a small spark at each burner when you activate the rotating ignitor knob. Also, check the rotator knob to make sure it's turning the ignitor. The plastic tab that does the rotation can break off. Then you need a new knob.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

A lot of the exact details vary depending on exactly which version of the stove you happen to have. The basic check the ignitors / check the switch(es) / check power in still apply.

Bob
Old 09-09-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
I believe you will find a 12V circuit that goes into the stove. I'd start by checking it with a multimeter.
Not necessarily. My stove uses piezoelectric ignition, just like high-end butane lighters, only bigger. Press on a PZT (Lead Zirconate Titanate) or quartz crystal in just the tight way, and it makes a brief current that will cause a spark. No 12v circuit from the batteries at all. These igniters can quit working if the crystal inside develops cracks.

I don't even bother with the piezoelectric ignition on my stove burners anymore. I just light them with a long-handled butane lighter for barbecue grills. More reliable. Light the lighter first, then turn on the propane, and whoosh, lights every time.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Los Osos , California
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I report back next week when we have the to dig into the problem.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
sl4
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Hendersonville , North Carolina
2018 Classic solution

My stovetop ignitor would not activate nor would the oven light work. Took it to Airstream of South Carolina and the tech, after an hour of troubleshooting, determined that unless the galley lights were turned on via the Firefly the oven llght and ignitor did not get any current. ???

nowhere at all in Owners Manual is this mentioned, and so wonder what logical process AS used to wire the system in this manner??

Thanks to Matt at John's RV in Lexington SC for bird dogging this problem.
sl4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:00 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
The gas stove burner igniters in my 2017 25FB won't fire. Does anyone have idea about how to troubleshoot the issue?
Not the answer you seek, but I keep a gas wand in the cabinet above the stove. Maybe mine will work, but I find it's just as easy with the gas match $4 everywhere.
If it's important, raise the stovetop and push the igniter.
It should throw a small spark at each burner. I think we don't get enough gas get to the burner before pushing the button. You need the correct amount of gas/air for stoichiometric combustion.
(okay, I confess, I had to look up the term.)
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4 View Post
My stovetop ignitor would not activate nor would the oven light work. Took it to Airstream of South Carolina and the tech, after an hour of troubleshooting, determined that unless the galley lights were turned on via the Firefly the oven llght and ignitor did not get any current. ???

nowhere at all in Owners Manual is this mentioned, and so wonder what logical process AS used to wire the system in this manner??

We also have a 2018 30' Classic. The only thing that has to be turned on to make the ignitors and oven light operate, whether on shore or battery power, is the red battery disconnect switch. The galley lights have nothing to do with it, or at least they shouldn't.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:07 AM   #10
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl4 View Post

Hi

That's what's known as a wiring error. They do indeed happen in RV's and in great big commercial airliners ( yikes !!!). Get it fixed while you are still under warranty.

Bob