Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Excella
Littleton , Colorado
Fresh Water Tank: Metal Drain Valve Replacement

Hello, my drain valve on the bottom my fresh water tank will won't seal so I can not charge my water system. I tried to turn the nut but the entire disc below it turns with it so it is not threading out.

Anyone who has chanced this out have any recommendations? I also need to locate the replacement part as well.

I have attached a photo of it, it's the valve on the right.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drainvalve.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	289238  
brfrgu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 10:16 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Are you sure those aren't low point drains for the galley plumbing?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Excella
Littleton , Colorado
Yes after going through the owner's manual I did determine that they are low point drains. I can't charge my water system since this valve won't close. It appears in order to change out the valve I will have to drop the metal tub from the bottom which I nervous to start since my planned road trip is next week.

I thought about trying to find the line to this low point drain, cutting it and then putting a cap on it just to get through the end of the season, then properly repair it when I winterize it.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Fresh Water Tank: Metal Drain Valve Replacement

Could you not just clean up the area around the disc and lightly sand to rough up the surface then mix up some J.B Weld Epoxy to apply around the disc and let set 24 hours?
That should hold the base in place and allow you to open and close the valve.I just finger tighten and loosen mine as they are kind of delicate.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:03 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Excella
Littleton , Colorado
The valve spins open/close no problem. It no longer functions properly so even when it's closed the water just pours out when I turn on the water pump.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:29 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfrgu View Post
Hello, my drain valve on the bottom my fresh water tank will won't seal so I can not charge my water system. I tried to turn the nut but the entire disc below it turns with it so it is not threading out.

Anyone who has chanced this out have any recommendations? I also need to locate the replacement part as well.

I have attached a photo of it, it's the valve on the right.
Check auto parts place for radiator petcock
https://www.google.com/search?q=petc...Z0EY741X_ihMM:

You may be able to just swap out the internals.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
You can cut a hole in the metal tub to get access to the back of the drain valve. Then remove and replace the valve or cut the line and plug it. You can cover the hole in the metal tub with a small patch of sheet metal and pop rivets. I think that is galvanized steel rather than aluminum so use same materials.
On my trailer I can get to the lines from above in the floor inside my closet.
And i think the jbweld idea could be good, but go further and plug up the drain opening with jbweld. And replace the drain valve later.
You can pull your trailer up on leveling blocks to get more space to work. Good luck with it.
Brad
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:58 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Excella
Littleton , Colorado
Thank you! Great advice and I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of some of this. Thank you all for your help.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
That metal pan supports the tank . So you don't want to drop that pan unless you want to do a bunch of plumbing work , just cut a access hole and and fix the problem and put a patch over it .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Be careful cutting a hole, you don't want to go to far and drill into the tank.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
Might double check which way you are turning the valve to shut it off. Most are backwards from what is normal.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Those cheap plain steel petcocks always fail -- in time. Sorry you have to do major surgery to replace. Hopefully this potential can of worms will not get out of hand!

PS -- Welcome to the forum, brfrgu, although this baptism by fire may not be the best introduction to Airstream life. It gets better!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 05:32 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2001 25' Excella
Littleton , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Those cheap plain steel petcocks always fail -- in time. Sorry you have to do major surgery to replace. Hopefully this potential can of worms will not get out of hand!

PS -- Welcome to the forum, brfrgu, although this baptism by fire may not be the best introduction to Airstream life. It gets better!

Peter

Hi Peter, do you recommend I replace this petcock valve with a different type of valve?

Thanks.
Old 07-13-2017, 07:14 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
After reading again you said water pours when the pump is on. Does it drain when the pump is off? You might look in all access areas above to see if you can determine where the line attaches and make repairs there, at least for now.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:33 AM   #15
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamracer View Post
After reading again you said water pours when the pump is on. Does it drain when the pump is off? You might look in all access areas above to see if you can determine where the line attaches and make repairs there, at least for now.
Exactly.... Put a valve in the middle of the line above the floor.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by brfrgu View Post
Hi Peter, do you recommend I replace this petcock valve with a different type of valve?

Thanks.
Yes, anything but another steel cheap valve. Not sure what you are going to find above the belly pan, but if there is room to get a real brass ball valve into the lines (might as well do both hot and cold if possible), that would be best IMO. But you have to take the discharge from a ball valve and dump it below. You also need access to operate the valves from above if possible.

Too many variables to guess on the best solution. If you can post some photos after you gain access (either from inside, or from below) that would ensure better feedback here.

Possible ball valve:

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Cooper-...lve+brass+ball

They come in all shapes and sizes. If possible I would avoid the plastic valves which AS supplies as OEM low-point drains.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote