Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
Silver Bullet

2008 22' Safari
Pueblo , Colorado
Plastic fresh water drain valve replacement

I have a 2008 Safari 22' and noticed that the plastic drain valve on my fresh water tank needs to be replaced. I would really like to replace the valve with a new copper type fitting I found on eBay. Only problem is how does one remove that plastic drain valve? Any suggestions-thanks from a new guy on this Forum.

The attached photo shows the plastic and brass replacement. It appears that a hose clamp is located inside the metal box behind the drain valve. Do I need to remove the box totally?

Semper Fi,
Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fresh water drain.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	240462  
jpleitgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Have you tried removing the screws that hold the OEM one in and pulling it out?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Silver Bullet

2008 22' Safari
Pueblo , Colorado
yes - I didn't yank on it too hard - maybe I need to be a little more aggressive. I did attempt to twist, turn and pull
Old 06-11-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
My trailers have an inspection plate on the bottom of the FW tank cover right below the drain you are showing. Removing that plate should get you into the area where a short length of hose attaches the valve to the tank. You should be able to loosen the hose clamp and get the plastic valve out to install a new valve.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 01:14 PM   #5
Silver Bullet

2008 22' Safari
Pueblo , Colorado
Thanks Dan, but no inspection plate. I could cut one out.......

Semper Fi,
Joe
Old 06-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Joe,
If you are handy, that's certainly an option. You can make a cover for the new hole from those rolls of aluminum or galvanized metal available at Home Depot, etc. Since you can see a hose clamp, we will assume (bad karma, etc.) you have the same setup as both of my rigs. Access near that valve should let you see the problem. Aside from dropping the pan or cutting the new hole, I don't have an idea that will do much for you. Good luck !!!

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #7
Silver Bullet

2008 22' Safari
Pueblo , Colorado
Roger that thanks I'll mess with it this weekend

Semper fi
Joe
Old 06-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Joe,
I am sure you looked! Run your hand under there, too. There should be an "inspection" plate...

If not, be careful when you cut.... A Dremel with a cutoff wheel would be a great investment which you will use again.. You need to cut wide but shallow because you do NOt want to clip the fresh tank.... Looking at the picture, I seem to see a plate on the bottom...also the plate that attaches with the white valve.. Does that give a bit of clearance to verify what is behind the plate?

The valve you have does not need that long barb.. It may not fit in there.. May even crimp the drain line... Secure the trailer and remove tires so you can see and work in there!!!

Semper Fidelis!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Also, check inside the trailer, in the pump area for a cutout in the floor whereby you can see and access the hose clamps. Mine has an approx. 6" X 6" access hole where the water lines come through to the pump.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:20 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Also, check inside the trailer, in the pump area for a cutout in the floor whereby you can see and access the hose clamps. Mine has an approx. 6" X 6" access hole where the water lines come through to the pump.

Hi, this is the correct answer, at least for mine. It will be very difficult to reach, but it can be done. After you see how it is made, you will have a better idea as to where to cut an access hole. Airstream should have put access covers for this plastic valve and all of the tank sensors. I would like to replace my tank sensors, but the locations are a secret and I'm not guessing or removing my tanks to find them.

Do not pull on this valve. You might break where it attaches to the tank and then you are in big trouble.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Looks like the perfect lifetime replacement,

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 06-12-2015, 08:31 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Looks like the perfect lifetime replacement,

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...obalID=EBAY-US
I have one of those in my onboard repair kit. When the plastic fails, I have it on the ready.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I have one of those in my onboard repair kit. When the plastic fails, I have it on the ready.
That sounds like a good plan.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #14
Silver Bullet

2008 22' Safari
Pueblo , Colorado
Thanks all - if I can't access I will cutout an access hole on bottom behind the valve. As mentioned I did notice that the metal tank has about 10 screws on the side where the plastic valve is located - this might allow me to gain access - if not I will need to cut the access hole. Thanks again for all your help! I'll keep you guys posted.

Semper Fi,
MSGT Retired
Joe
Old 06-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Check your owners manual. It should tell you if you have an inspection port. Maybe those screws are part of it. All older AS had a circular plate that exposed a big screwed plug on the bottom for cleaning and winter drainage...which most us never use
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote