Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2010, 09:20 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
Add spare tire storage to rear, has it been done?

I have an '86 25' sovereign, and would prefer to store my spare tire under the bed in the rear. Before I cut a hole in the rear of my trailer, I need a door frame and door. Preferably the same profile and radius as the side storage door, but large enough to slide a wheel through it. Would appreciate any suggestions on where to find the material. Thanks, Mitch.
cmkirkland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1948 16' Wee Wind
1964 26' Overlander
2007 19' Bambi
crossville , Tennessee
allrite aluminum will build to your specks and are reasonable. be sure to specify mil finish and you shouldn't have any problem.
crestonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkirkland View Post
I have an '86 25' sovereign, and would prefer to store my spare tire under the bed in the rear. Before I cut a hole in the rear of my trailer, I need a door frame and door. Preferably the same profile and radius as the side storage door, but large enough to slide a wheel through it. Would appreciate any suggestions on where to find the material. Thanks, Mitch.
You can purchase the ready made rear access door and frame that Airstream uses on the rear bath models.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Why not buy the mount for under the A frame up front, less intrusive.

I do not have anything now, that's what I am thinking of doing.

Bill (Love our AS)
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
My personal preference would be the front mount over an under the bed arrangement, but that is just me. I suspect going the door route may be more expensive, plus you will be adding weight to the rear of the trailer, which may not be a good thing. FWIW my spare is usually just tossed in the back of the truck, though I have laid it on a rug inside the trailer door in a pinch.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Is there a way to put in a door of the width you are talking about without taking out a section of rib? That would require a little more engineering to avoid structural problems later on.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:08 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Is there a way to put in a door of the width you are talking about without taking out a section of rib? That would require a little more engineering to avoid structural problems later on.
The regular rear access door and frame, when mounted at the rear like they do in production, fits between 2 vertical stiffners.

Nothing to cut except sheet metal.

But for a spare, the A-frame tire carrier up front, is far superior, plus much cheaper and can easily be installed.

Andy
Old 01-19-2010, 08:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I see some are wondering why in the world would I go through the trouble of cutting a hole in my trailer. I simply would like an extra access door for outside storage. And one big enough to accommodate the spare tire would be a plus. I am against installing the A-frame up front carrier, because I do not want to add tongue weight. If I could find a practical location for propane storage, those bottles sitting on the tongue would be gone also.

Hey Andy,
That ready made door you mentioned, do I get that from Airstream, or do you have it available.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old 01-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmkirkland View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I see some are wondering why in the world would I go through the trouble of cutting a hole in my trailer. I simply would like an extra access door for outside storage. And one big enough to accommodate the spare tire would be a plus. I am against installing the A-frame up front carrier, because I do not want to add tongue weight. If I could find a practical location for propane storage, those bottles sitting on the tongue would be gone also.

Hey Andy,
That ready made door you mentioned, do I get that from Airstream, or do you have it available.

Thanks,
Mitch
Mitch.

Airstream can only sell that part, if your in Jackson Center.

We have it available.

Contrary however to your thoughts, removing tongue weight as you propose, will have negative effects on it's handling.

The spare tire under the front of the shell, does not add that much tongue weight, since part of that weight goes back to the axles.

If you add the rear access door, you will be spending a bunch of dollars, invest a lot of time installing it, and then you would have to figure out a way to keep the spare tire from moving when your traveling. Next, you will add rear end weight, not good. Then, you will subtract tongue weight. Not good.

Using the up front tire carrier has all positive effects and adding the spare to the rear, has all negative effects.

Your trailer must have somewheres between 10 to 15 percent of it's total weight as tongue weight. If less than that, you will experience towing instability.

Andy
Old 01-21-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Plaquemine , Louisiana
My Sovereigns tongue weight is currently 14% with no spare mounted anywhere on the trailer. My personal preference for tongue weight is closer to the 10% end. And since I want more access to under bed storage, I will probably follow through with making another opening. I just love a good project! Thanks for all of the advice given. I'll be sure to post pics of project.

Mitch