Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1980 31' International
Nashville , Tennessee
1980 International Center Bath / Rear Bedroom - 31'

First post here..please be gentle

I've purchased a 1980 Aistream International - Center Bath / Rear Bed - 31'

I've always wanted one and I fancy myself a bit handy, so i figured why not.

I intend for her to remain stationary in the near term. I am thinking septic system with hook up to the house. I live way out in the woods in TN, so I'll be fending for myself.

In any case, I look a long hard look at this old girl and she seems to have good bones, so I grabbed her.

The body is in good shape and free of dents. The tongue is a little rust. The tongue wheel is adequate. The electric jack for the tongue wines a bit when in use.

The steel under the body of the trailer is clean and rust free. The floor is solid throughout. There are a couple spots that might be a little soft, but it could just be that I am a little fat.

The shocks seem to be in good shape as witnessing the trailer being towed to my house. The tires are in good shape (1/4 tread)..one needed to be inflated a bit before towing. When I'm inside when parked it doesn't move a whole lot. I have 4 heavy duty BAL leveling jacks ready.

Front door into trailer has broken door handle. All windows have solid glass and working locks. A couple windows missing screens. Windows and body do good job of keeping water out (as analysed after pressure washing and multiple hard rains).

Seems like all of the plugs and lights work. The inverter hums a bit loud, but it works. The refrigerator gets cold but the compressor is loud.

I'm not sure how to test the water system. The pipes under the sink in the kitchen and in the bathroom look clean and solid. The sewer pipe exiting the trailer looks clean and solid. The water intake door is clean and free of debris.

Condition of storage tank - unknown
Condition of water heater - unknown
Condition of water pump - unknown

I connected the house water hose to the intake pipe next to the sewer pipe on the outside. Both sinks worked, but there was also a black 1/4"? pipe in the bathroom that wasn't connected to anything and just spewing water. I pointed it into the shower and just let it drain through.

I'm not sure how to test the stove/oven.

Condition of LP Gas system - unknown

I'm not sure what to look for on the air conditioner / heater. The labels have worn off and I'm missing the knobs (a pair of vice grips are in place at present).

Condition of air conditioner - unknown

In order to be able to camp in my new trailer I believe I need to be able to get the stove and the water system to rights. I want to do it right the first time, but I don't want to do a body off restoration in the process.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to jump in? What else should I be thinking about that I am not? Have I lost my mind?

Kind regards,

Aaron

Stay Close
adell50 is offline   Reply With Quote