Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Self tapping bolts everywhere?

So had the stab jack bolt come loose, stripped.... called AS dealer... they said, replace bolt with a larger self tapping bolt. Ok, I get that.
Then, the large strap that holds the fresh water tank up decides one day it’s going to fall off on one end. Guess what the dealer said.... larger self tapping bolt?

So let me get this straight.... everything on the underside of this thing uses self tapping bolts that screw into “whatever” happens to be up there?

Makes me wonder how these guys ever stayed together at all?
Jeffndaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
My impression as well.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
If you can find some rivetnuts that might be a little more secure. They go in like a poprivet but are threaded with a machine screw and a lock washer it should hold .
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I have been using rivet nuts ever since I have had an Airstream. They work very well in many applications. I also keep a supply of various size and length stainless steel sheet metal screws on hand. Pop rivets are also a must.

Unlike your house that is static, Airstreams move down the road vibrating and hitting all kinds of bumps. Things are going to come loose. This is the nature of the beast. That is why rivets are used wherever feasible.

If nothing ever comes loose on your Airstream, you are probably not using it enough.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffndaile View Post
>>snip>>
So let me get this straight.... everything on the underside of this thing uses self tapping bolts that screw into “whatever” happens to be up there?
<<snip<<
Do not fasten to "whatever". New bolts should be into the frame member where the old bolt was originally. It is preferable to remove the old bolt and re-use the same hole with a new fastener.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:48 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
And beware of the new screw length, you dont need to poke a hole in something on the other side.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Self tapping bolts everywhere?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Do not fasten to "whatever". New bolts should be into the frame member where the old bolt was originally. It is preferable to remove the old bolt and re-use the same hole with a new fastener.

I only use the same holes the old bolt came out of..... the “feeling” I get, is that the new bolt doesn’t “thread” into the .... like a nut on the upper side.
I get the distinct impression that the material that the new bolt is going into his thin.

Another thing is the fact that those self tapping bolts are a real pain to try and find locally.. eBay I guess...
Old 11-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #8
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captnkirk54 View Post
If you can find some rivetnuts that might be a little more secure. They go in like a poprivet but are threaded with a machine screw and a lock washer it should hold .

Wow, i’ve never heard of rivet nuts thanks for that tip!
Old 11-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
Airstreams move down the road vibrating and hitting all kinds of bumps. Things are going to come loose. This is the nature of the beast. That is why rivets are used wherever feasible.
Rivets for security? I'd use bolts with nuts and aircraft nuts at that.
But that's expensive and time consuming, and it's not the Thor way. "It only has to last until the warranty expires."

It also reminded me to drain my water tank. The dealer filled it even though I asked for 20% because I didn't want to carry 400# of water around.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Cherryville , North Carolina
Rivetnuts are used in aircraft I used them in my plane all the time to secure items from vibration.
Captnkirk54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #11
BradT

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Milton , Georgia
A self threading bolt coming loose on the stabilizer jack is sometimes a clue that moisture is getting in and rusting the frame. Doesn't take much rust to make the self thread bolt let go in that thin steel.
I noticed a missing bolt on a stabilizer jack, near the trailer centerline. I carefully replaced it with a larger bolt w nut & washer. A year later I was removing it to replace the floor.
I recommend checking for moisture and rust.
Brad
bradt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Flying Cloud
Allen , Texas
I can tell you self tapping screws don't hold everything together. My water tank came out the bottom going down I-40. Waiting on parts to come in for almost a month.
WBCCI#8934
prostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
I think I’ll be taking a trip to the dealer so he can check “everything” on the underside.
It would seem that installing the tanks earlier in the build process would allow for the tanks to be installed with nuts spot welded to the frame.... but look at all the money they save, by just giving us the minimum till warranty runs out.

Makes me really appreciate good craftsmanship when I do see it.... it’s a moral issue really.
Old 11-18-2017, 06:05 PM   #14
jeffndaile

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Clarkston , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
And beware of the new screw length, you dont need to poke a hole in something on the other side.

Bad thing about self tapping bolts, is that they usually get longer as they get bigger.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
[QUOTE=A W Warn;2035936]Do not fasten to "whatever". New bolts should be into the frame member where the old bolt was originally. It is preferable to remove the old bolt and re-use the same hole with a new fastener.[/QUOTE

That's exactly correct, but use the next size larger, otherwise you stand a good chance of stripping the threads..

Just sayin'

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote