Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
1968 Overlander Update with Photos

My wife and I bought our Overlander last April just before the arrival of our first boy. I wanted to update the group and share some photos of the improvements I've made and maintenance we've performed with a lot of input and suggestions from this list. The photos will help tell the story better than a long post so here is a bulleted list. In general, I am doing my best to not put any more holes in cabinets, trailer etc and being careful to preserve original elements, even if I am removing them. I see myself as a steward of this trailer and want it to be preserved beyond my ownership...though we have no intention of selling. For the moment the Airstream is our extra bedroom or "In-law Suite" and we make it pay for itself by renting on Airbnb. https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/6030421
  • Replaced uncomfortable/poorly functioning gaucho with an Ikea Lugnvik Sofa Bed: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90214134/
  • Just last night installed 5 mini blinds using a variation the method outlined in this thread except I didn't use any screws and just 3m VHB tape which is amazing: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f454...nt-111812.html
  • Stripped clearcoat using Citra Strip.
  • Sealed leaking mushroom vents with vulkem 116
  • Added new smart TV on articulating arm. Very happy with installation! see photos
  • repaired leaking propane at pilot valve on oven...btw, after seeing yellow gas paste settled with time and gravity at the bottom of threaded connection...will only use yellow teflon tape on gas fitting in future
  • resealed refrigerator vent, spraying out with silver paint this weekend
  • replaced gas regulator which was also leaking, with automatic changeover Cavagna model
  • added under cabinet Ikea LED strip lighting (that I already owned but wasn't using)
  • added (2) Broan 174 electric cadet heaters.

Still have to chase some leaks, especially at rear trunk/bath near dump valve. My intention is to use Git Rot at this location to repair some of the rot once the trunk leak is located and fixted. Window gaskets need replacing all around. Plumbing vent covers ordered and to be installed soon. (part of leak chasing) Would like to figure out air conditioning and/or fantastic fan for this summer.

Attached are a few photos and here is an album with a bunch of photos:

https://goo.gl/photos/zMvU7XSkhK1P8nyd7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100574.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	214.4 KB
ID:	256856   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100560.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	256857  

Name:	P1100570.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	256858   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100571.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	256859  

AirstreamPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
congratulations

A great satisfaction owning 1968 Airstream is knowing that they never got better. Sure, they got longer and wider and heavier, but they still leak, the floors still rot, the battery still boils, and now, over-priced and over-loaded with features as meaningless as wally's oxymoronic mantra, “lets not make changes, let's only make improvements”. Today, riding profitably on the reputation built in the sixties, Thor attempts to out-luxuriate the SOBs, by slapping in a bunch of “pseudo-glam” and ignores the years of pleading from owners to address the serious issues.

Before you hawg out your unique, valuable, original vintage vents for fantastic fans, consider this…

A $16 reversible radiator fan fits in the original housing. For infinite speeds, It can be installed with a PWM, and reversed with a $5 DPDT switch. I used a $5 harware store 2SPD switch and a $5 eBay solid state 6V transformer for HI/LO. At LO speed, it's comfortably quiet, on HI, It'll suck the hat off your head. It does not interfere or inhibit operation of the original open/close mechanism. Everything installs from inside the trailer, no need to get on roof.

The “Flat-Rate” for this job is one hour. Material Cost $30.

Works like a charm...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_3311.JPG
Views:	238
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	256891   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3310.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	256892  

Name:	DSC_3308.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	237.6 KB
ID:	256893  
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
That does look better than a fantastic fan and I'd guess way less likely to leak
Old 02-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
That's a great fan! Where did you get it at. I'd like to do that also. That's looks awesome. Do you think it will work on a 75 argosy?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
NO HUMBLE OPINION

1968 20' Globetrotter
ANN ARBOR , THE GREAT LAKES
Hi there Rugjenkins,

The fan came from the eBays. “12V reversible radiator fan”. They offer a variety of diameters, CFMs, Watts, manufacturers, colors, and methods of attachment.

At some point in the seventies, Airstream changed to a side hinge vent. I don't know if Argosy followed. There's a respected contributor to Airforums named “Aquinob” who did something like this to a seventies vent that is very unlike a sixties vent. Aqinob's account of his fan adventure is well explained and clearly illustrated. It may be closer to matching what you have. I'm certain that if you type “aquinob fan” into the google window of the search function, You'll find his many page journey both informative and entertaining.

It's a fun little project. You may have to tailor it to your particular vent. I tried a 9V transformer for low speed, but it wasn't low enough. I tried an LED dimmer PWM, but it caused the motor to emit an audible whine. If you require infinite speed range, use a High Frequency PWM, and it should be inaudible. The two speeds, Tornado and Quiet Breeze, suffice for me.

I was able to resist the Hillbilly in me, and not use a 1973 VW Superbeetle heater/defroster fan switch that I already had, but I'm certain that would have worked as well. You could most likely source everything from your auto parts store.

AirstreamPDX,

Viewing your mid-bedroom makes me want to nap. My vents have the very same glaciers of sealant. I've seen others like that too, and conclude that the factory applied it.

Nice work.

Happy Trails
ALUMINUMINUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
1954 15' Byam Holiday
Vintage Kin Owner
Linden , Michigan
TV Set-up

Good Morning, please tell me about your TV set-up. What size are you using? What bracket system did you use? And, how are you running the internet to achieve getting Netflix?
Thanks!
StevieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:31 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieB View Post
Good Morning, please tell me about your TV set-up. What size are you using? What bracket system did you use? And, how are you running the internet to achieve getting Netflix?
Thanks!
We are running a 32" smart TV and running Netflix to it through a wifi router we plumbed from our main house router. We can run the TV wirelessly exclusively, but the picture,/response is better this way. The trailer head v it's own WiFi network. The TV size was determined mainly by the height. We wanted to swing it out and then Beck out of the c way when b we weren't watching. The gap in the plywood bulkhead at the refridgerator is ~27 inches. This dictated the height of the TV. I can't see needing to go bigger than 32". From the gaucho it seems quite generous. The mount is something I hacked from Amazon. Really I only cut some length off the top and then cut the bolts a bit shorter so I could reverse them and screw them down into the counter. I also used vhb tape as you can see. Here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Articulating-Foldable-STAND-V001K/dp/B00QKVIHWG The stand cost $40 and is incredibly well engineered and solid. I feel we got great value above the cheaper, flimsy TV stands. Overall I am quite pleased with the installation, function, and flexibility of our setup especially for an old Airstream!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:19 AM   #8
Myrna

1968 24' Tradewind
Buellton , California
Thanks for all the information. Getting ready for the cosmetics so I can set out. Nice simple improvements. The replacement for the Gaucho is good. Do you miss the storage?
dpaul.syv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Absolutely amazing "resto-mod".
That trailer is beautiful.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:17 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul.syv View Post
Thanks for all the information. Getting ready for the cosmetics so I can set out. Nice simple improvements. The replacement for the Gaucho is good. Do you miss the storage?
We don't miss the storage. In fact much of the generous storage in our Overlander goes unused.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Hi, so what is in that white vented area on the kitchen cabinet?
Nice idea on the fan, I am happy with the Fantastic Vent Fan I put in but would have liked to keep the original vent.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:00 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
Hi, so what is in that white vented area on the kitchen cabinet?
Nice idea on the fan, I am happy with the Fantastic Vent Fan I put in but would have liked to keep the original vent.
The vented area is a Broan 174 heater. That was an existing door/magazine rack in the plywood. In an effort to keep everything "restorable" to original, I saved the magazine rack so it easily could be reinstalled.
Old 02-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #13
Myrna

1968 24' Tradewind
Buellton , California
Window blinds

I have followed suit and like the brilliant idea that you passed on and improved on. My blinds are here and I am having a hard time locating the 3M VHB tape. There are too many model numbers. Can you get me that? I tried using your photo to match up, even that proved ineffective. I want to be sure I purchase the right material. Also, what have you sourced out as your lower fixed window coverage. I have a couple of ideas, tho have not worked out the practicality.
Thanks!
dpaul.syv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Here it is Dpaul: TapeCase 0.75 in Width x 5 yd Length, Converted from 3M VHB Tape 5952 (1 Roll)

I had to trim about an 1/8" off of the .75" so I would likely order .5" to do the job. The stuff is absolutely tenacious so would definitely hold. I would also use just three strips, one at each end of blind and one in the middle. The (4) ~3" strips I used is overkill. For the lower windows I am probably going to order the same blinds, they will just be small.

BTW, I've had them about a month now and they've gotten a bunch of use. They are working out great!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:01 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
San Angelo , Texas
Shower curtain track

I really like the way you did your shower curtain, specifically that there is no hanging rod or track. Looks like it is glued onto the endcap. Would you reveal what it is and where you got it? Thanks!
Joy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy M View Post
I really like the way you did your shower curtain, specifically that there is no hanging rod or track. Looks like it is glued onto the endcap. Would you reveal what it is and where you got it? Thanks!

Thanks Joy M. It is a modified ceiling curtain track with the mounting flange cut off and then adhered with 3m VHB tape. I labored for some time about how to do this without hanging something down or drilling into the endcap. I am quite happy with it and a huge improvement over the nasty original accordion "shower curtain" unique to 1968. Only thing I would change are the rings, which are a bit large but I will change later when I find smaller ones. Take a look at my google album which has more process photos. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003PGQHPI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o06_s00
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC6U9G?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o06_s00[/URL]
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003I8J4QC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o06_s00[/URL]
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4E4HPI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o06_s00[/URL]
[URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC4UYI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailp age_o06_s01[/URL]
Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Here is the google album: https://goo.gl/photos/zMvU7XSkhK1P8nyd7
Old 03-04-2016, 08:16 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
1958 22' Flying Cloud
San Angelo , Texas
Thanks for all the info and links. You're very innovative and your trailer is beautiful!
Joy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Jackson , Tennessee
Hi, AirstreamPDX:

Thanks for sharing your work with the rest of us; I enjoy seeing and learning from what others have done. Your redo is very nicely done - congratulations!

Looking through your pictures, I couldn't tell what was going on with the exterior skin work. Did you just remove the clear coat? I would prefer to keep my mill finish, and if clear coat removal on mine ends up looking like that, I'd love it.

Also, have you needed to remove any of the 3M tape, requiring some type of solvent?

Thanks again,
Alan
TennTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennTex View Post
Hi, AirstreamPDX:

Looking through your pictures, I couldn't tell what was going on with the exterior skin work. Did you just remove the clear coat? I would prefer to keep my mill finish, and if clear coat removal on mine ends up looking like that, I'd love it.

Also, have you needed to remove any of the 3M tape, requiring some type of solvent?

Thanks again,
Alan
Alan, I have removed the clear coat using CitriStrip. I am at the beginning of the process of sealing and polishing as I go. Trying to track down a leak at the rear. Haven't found it yet. Probably the window. I may resort to a non period correct drip cap. In the meantime I am trying to stabilizing the plywood subfloor rot at this spot with 'GitRot'. Seems to be working so far.

I haven't tried to undo 3M VHB, but a long razor blade should sever the connection and then one would have to clean up with a solvent I imagine. Can't be worse the cleaning up Vulkem, that is for sure!

Tags