Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2016, 01:52 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
1968 Overlander - First Polish

Hi everyone, Yesterday I started polishing for the first time. Since my Overlander skin is in pretty good shape (just removed clear coat last fall) I am using Nuvite G6. Still working on my technique, but the results are encouraging. I do have some minimal swirling.

We are not going for mirror shine (this year at least) so I was hoping that the progressive quality of G6 (gets finer as it is used) would allow me a single pass. Time will tell if this is correct.

Will update on process with more photos but in the meantime see the ones I've attached and more here https://goo.gl/photos/zMvU7XSkhK1P8nyd7

As an aside...
  • someone used silicone on my marker lights at some point. Advice on getting it off?
  • Our original WBCCI numbers are #1377 and #3793. Could someone look these up and tell me if either is available and/or previous owner's name?

Gear:
  • Citristrip
  • Harbor Freight 10amp/7inch polisher...bought on Sale for $39!
  • Spray bottle of denatured alchol
  • Twisted Wool pads also from Harbor Freight...prefer to order from Vintage Trailer Supply but their shipping times are rediculously long and expensive! Only buy from them when I have to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160310_162642.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	258585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160310_162659.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	258586  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160310_112321.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	258587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160310_112314.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	258588  

Old 02-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Lugnvik Sleeper

Hi AirstreamPDX,

Did you remove one or both arms off of your sleeper? How do you like it?
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
IKEA sofa

I noticed this post was a few years ago. Do
You still have your overlander? If so, wondering if you could send me a picture of what the IKEA couch/bed actually looks like in your trailer? I'd really appreciate!
So what did you guys end up using as your table? The original? I'd love to check out!
We've got original couch/bed but it doesn't feel/ look like it will be comfortable.
Thanks!
stephiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
stephiejo,

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully PDX will answer. We've been inspired by a number of his ideas.
It looks like the Ikea sofa might just fit across the width of the trailer, although, I'm not sure where he may have moved the fresh water tank. Can of Beans may have done some measuring. We didn't like the front sofa either and wanted a bed where we could each get out on our own side. I'll offer what we did in the following link; https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html

Since our 68 Overlander was a twin, we converted one of the twin beds into a dinette/bed.

Good luck,
Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 02:15 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post
stephiejo,

Welcome to the forums. Hopefully PDX will answer. We've been inspired by a number of his ideas.
It looks like the Ikea sofa might just fit across the width of the trailer, although, I'm not sure where he may have moved the fresh water tank. Can of Beans may have done some measuring. We didn't like the front sofa either and wanted a bed where we could each get out on our own side. I'll offer what we did in the following link; https://www.airforums.com/forums/f39...er-155180.html

Since our 68 Overlander was a twin, we converted one of the twin beds into a dinette/bed.

Good luck,
Roy and Marie

Wow! Great photos! How did you paint your tub/sink
Etc? Ours is that awesome 60's yellow. Mr. Tubby I've heard is a good choice? I'm tempted to leave it it's original yellow, but the white just looks fresh and clean.
Also, looks like you have both AC and heat separately? We're thinking of putting/heat/Ac all
One unit on top if we can find one that mounts to roof?
Our kitchen is in great shape, we're able to even salvage the original stove, which is exciting.
I would like a small microwave, but not sure how it will fit.

Putting bamboo flooring in, electrical and plumbing
And let's just hope we're off and running by this Summer!

Thanks again and any feedback is so appreciated!
Best,
Stephie and Billy
Old 02-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bookmark for future updating

I am just amazed at some of the creative things our members can come up with to bring their trailers into camping condition again! Keep up the great work and keep posting all you do with lots of photos! Thanks All! Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:27 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Stephie and Billy,

The tub in our '68 is original. I think Airstream backed off the 60's yellow in '68. We did recoat the tub, sink and toilet bench in our '64. It was the yellowish color you described. Since we had to gut the '64, we had a commercial tub spraying company do the job. I set up a small spray booth in my shop to avoid overspray. That was over 10 years ago and it has held up very well. I'm confident, the job could be done with the tub in-place, if needed. There may be a photo at 64airstream.com.

We added a microwave in the '64 and don't use it very much, so we left it out of the '68. A small microwave would probably fit easily below the stove top, in the cabinet.

We skipped the strip heaters in the air conditioner because we had installed a new furnace and have an existing installed catalytic heater. The furnace is pretty substantial (30k BTU) for cooler weather.

I'm sure many would like to follow your progress, if you want to start a thread on your project. Regardless, enjoy the project and even more, enjoy traveling and camping in your trailer.

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 10:08 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALUMINUMINUM View Post
A great satisfaction owning 1968 Airstream is knowing that they never got better. Sure, they got longer and wider and heavier, but they still leak, the floors still rot, the battery still boils, and now, over-priced and over-loaded with features as meaningless as wally's oxymoronic mantra, “lets not make changes, let's only make improvements”. Today, riding profitably on the reputation built in the sixties, Thor attempts to out-luxuriate the SOBs, by slapping in a bunch of “pseudo-glam” and ignores the years of pleading from owners to address the serious issues.

Before you hawg out your unique, valuable, original vintage vents for fantastic fans, consider this…

A $16 reversible radiator fan fits in the original housing. For infinite speeds, It can be installed with a PWM, and reversed with a $5 DPDT switch. I used a $5 harware store 2SPD switch and a $5 eBay solid state 6V transformer for HI/LO. At LO speed, it's comfortably quiet, on HI, It'll suck the hat off your head. It does not interfere or inhibit operation of the original open/close mechanism. Everything installs from inside the trailer, no need to get on roof.

The “Flat-Rate” for this job is one hour. Material Cost $30.

Works like a charm...
Innovative idea! I'm going to have to give this a try.
Gonzo59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags