Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2007, 07:33 AM   #21
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action
And yes your system is quite rare. It did not work well so many units have been converted to electric.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
I amend my statement to be:

It was not a well understood system by owners so many units were converted to electric operation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
E over H

Why not pitch the vacuum unit into the weeds and get a good electric over hydraulic unit to power the system? The Towbrake unit is excellent.

Since you've got the old system working, I guess it makes no sense to get an E over H unit now. I have the same system in my trailer, but I'm going to dispense with the hydravac altogether and get the Towbrake unit to power the system.

I have a diesel and have no easy source of vacuum either. It just seems to me that we get a battery to power a vacuum pump to create force to move a piston. The Towbrake unit uses battery power to move a piston. It simplifies things.

But what the hay, there's many ways to skin a cat
Old 03-07-2007, 09:21 AM   #23
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Jim,

Slightly off topic.

Your diesel most likely has a vacuum pump too. To power vacuum driven accessories if not the brake booster in your vehicle.

If you are going to remove a working hydravac system or any parts from your A/S, I bet there would be others that would want any thing that your remove. So I would suggest not pitching any of those pieces. If not for you at least for others that could use those parts.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-07-2007, 10:24 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Action,

Rest assured, anything that I remove from this coach will go on here for cheap or for free.

Being a frugal buzzard, I'm going to try to reuse as much as I can when I do my rebuild, but what I don't I will certainly try to see that it goes to a good home!

Actually, I should have realized that my truck has a vacuum pump. Doh! Maybe I can use the old Ausco's then.

I was planning to switch out everything to either Dexter or Kodiak and use the towbrake E over H. I'm not quite there yet

This summer though

Take care,
Old 03-07-2007, 02:33 PM   #25
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Action,

Rest assured, anything that I remove from this coach will go on here
Kool!
>>Action
Old 03-07-2007, 09:18 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Tweeking the system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella CM
One thing you might consider, even if you mount your vacuum supply on the trailer, is a "T" in the vacuum line with a ball valve to atmosphere. This allows you to set the trailer brake by hand when you are at the hitch. I find it very conveient to "blow down" the system when I stop to adjust or inspect or park for a short period. Having the 4 wheels locked tight is added safety. I would fabricate a pump electrical over-ride to shut the vacuum pump off when the ball valve was open using a micro-switch or momentary off spring loaded button switch (you want this so you wont forget to turn it back on). This would also give you a way to shut down the vacuum pump easily. Lastly, a nice, bright L.E.D. (s) to indicate power to the vacuum pump might be good to have. I sure others can think of ways to add work for you to do, too.
Before I finish this project with the ball valve and switch, I have two more questions. I have wired the pump to a fused line to the battery but the vacuum switch needs a 12volt line also and I am wondering if I can tie into the electric jack circuit. Is it reasonable to assume I can add a switch to this circuit that would alternate power to either the vacuum switch or the jack? Is there ever a time when I would need power to both simultaneouslly?
Thanks,
Wayne
wayne.yl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:25 AM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Wayne,

I think you'd be fine like that. Just remember to chock the wheels before you raise the trailer off the ball. I can't see why you'd need the brakes when you're stopped and chocked.