Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2017, 08:08 PM   #1
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Help with Prodigy P2

We left Tucson today and about 90 miles into the trip I got an SH code for a short followed by a oL for overload. With the oL code flashing there doesn't seem to be any braking. If I unplug the 7 pin connector and plug it back in everything goes back to normal for a while then it goes to oL again. Parked at a site with truck off, left 7 pin plugged in. oL flashed for about an hour then went to normal. The SH code has not come back, just the oL. Any ideas what it could be. Going to start checking wires here soon.
ITSNO60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #2
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Update: I just checked over all the wiring. The trailer is new and all the wiring is in good shape. I checked at each wheel and where they pass thru the axle tunes, and the entire length of the harness, all good. Before I did this I disconnected the prodigy then reconnected it. It showed the normal nc code for not connected. Then as soon as I plugged in the 7 pin connector the SH code for short came up. Goes away when I unhook.*
another question I had is when driving without braking what should the display read? Mine was reading 3.8 the whole time. Is it possible it was braking and overheated the trailer brakes?
ITSNO60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 10:15 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
corpus christi , Texas
We had the same codes come up last week. Was not getting good connection was our problem. Try cleaning your connections truck and trailer. Spray some wd 40 on them them plug and unplug repeat wipe clean then let dry.
thehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
I disassembled the 7 pin connector this morning and cleaned/polished the connection points with sandpaper. Didn't have any WD 40. I'll try that Monday. You may be right about a bad connection as today everything would work great for a while Then drop out again. Seems like bumps in the road would affect it. I also got the n.c. code a few times. I bought a new 7 pin receptacle which I will try if the WD 40 doesn't do it.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
mamaroneck , New York
Wd 40

Wouldn't recommend WD40 as it leaves a film and attracts dirt. Use an electrical electronic spray cleaner from any hardware store instead
jackanddiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
To the earlier question about "normal" reading, I have used a P2 on two different trailers and two tow vehicles. When no trailer is connected the display reads "nc". When the trailer is connected and the truck is in park or driving without braking the display reads "c". When the truck brakes are applied the display shows a number between 0 and 12.0 indicating the voltage being applied by the controller to the trailer's braking circuit.

If your P2 is reading a number when you are driving and not depressing the brake pedal I would suspect one of three issues. Either 1. The P2 is not wired into your truck's electric system properly and it believes the brake pedal is depressed even when it isn't 2. Your truck's brake light switch is defective and causing a signal to the P2 that the truck has brakes applied when it does not (this might be confirmed by seeing if the truck's brake lights come on and off as you depress the brake pedal... if so, this is not the likely cause of your problem) or 3. The P2 is defective.

Since the P2 has an inertial sensor as part of its voltage adjustment system, if you are getting a numeric reading on the display even while driving a constant speed I would wager your P2 is malfunctioning.
GammaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
diesel maniac

Airstream - Other
Tucson , AZ
Thanks for the explanation. I took the wheels off today and found on one where the wires were melted into the brake shoe bracket. A tiny bit of wire was exposed, so tiny I could barely see it without a magnifier. I fixed it and now everything seems to be working correctly. I bought a new controller to keep in the truck just in case. Seems like a poor design the way the wires are routed, at least they should've put a piece of heat shield there.