Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Emergency Breakaway Control

The other day I stopped by our storage unit to get something from our Airstream. While doing a walk around I noticed that the controller used to set the trailer brakes had a hole in it. After further inspection it looks like there was some kind of electrical failure, the switch looked fried. When I pulled the safety wire it didn't budge. I have two questions, first what could cause this and second, is this something I can repair myself?

Sorry, I'm talking about the emergency breaking system that get set if there is a hitch failure.
raynickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You can replace the breakaway switch for about $20. But you will need to check the brakes themselves to see if they are still functioning. Is it possible that the switch was pulled out partially while it was stored? That would provide full power to the brakes until something burned out. The switch obviously. But perhaps also the brakes.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
Ray,
Check the wiring from the battery to the breakaway switch, especially where it is tied up tightly with other wires. I had this happen on a 5th wheel trailer and it melted a bunch of wires that ran along side. Luckily non of them shorted together, but they needed replacing.
Tom_J
Valacidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2000 28' Excella
Mount Juliet , Tennessee
Thanks!

Thanks for replying so quickly. I'll follow up on the items that you both recommended. I'm not very good with electronics but I know enough to check the items you mentioned. Ray
raynickel is offline   Reply With Quote