Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Chemainus, Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Dexter Electric Brake

Recently had a major failure under warranty on one of my brakes - a Dexter Nev-R-Adjust unit. For service Airstream put me on to the manufacturer, Dexter Axle.

I sent Dexter photos of the issue along with the axle serial number and they gave the go ahead for repair at a local spring and axle shop, Island Spring in Ladysmith, BC, Canada.

I just received the check for the full amount for the repair work. Dexter warranty rep Lorrie Hiemstra was excellent to deal with. Just over three weeks from original problem to check in the mail! I am very satisfied with the outcome and Dexter Axle gets top marks from me for backing their product.
Sailor-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Glad to hear it - good to know folks stand behind their products.

What was the issue and on what kind of trailer?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I had an issue with my Dexters as well. They were self installed, and Dexter overnighted the new parts to me. I will definitely buy from them when I am ready to replace the axles and brakes on our 1970 project trailer.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-d View Post
Recently had a major failure under warranty on one of my brakes - a Dexter Nev-R-Adjust unit. For service Airstream put me on to the manufacturer, Dexter Axle.

I sent Dexter photos of the issue along with the axle serial number and they gave the go ahead for repair at a local spring and axle shop, Island Spring in Ladysmith, BC, Canada.

I just received the check for the full amount for the repair work. Dexter warranty rep Lorrie Hiemstra was excellent to deal with. Just over three weeks from original problem to check in the mail! I am very satisfied with the outcome and Dexter Axle gets top marks from me for backing their product.
Hi!

Would you mind posting what the exact failure was and the photos?

That might help someone else to do an inspection before their brakes fail.

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
On mine, one of the brake shoe hold down springs broke which allowed the adjuster to fall to the lowest point of the drum and go around and around. The other was a broken adjuster spring with the same result. Both failures happened right after installation, and I didn't note any scratches, etc on them when installing. Since replacement, they have been trouble free for several thousand miles.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 09-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Chemainus, Vancouver Island , British Columbia
Dexter Electric Brakes

Responding to the request:
Would you mind posting what the exact failure was and the photos?
That might help someone else to do an inspection before their brakes fail.

My trailer is a 2012 Safari 22FB equipped with a single 6K axle and 12" brakes, tow vehicle a 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500, 5.3l V8. I noticed the brake situation when doing routine wheel bearing servicing a couple of months ago. A bit of background; a few months earlier I returned from a 6000 mile round trip from Vancouver Island to Rockport, Texas. I had no indication of brake problems other than an occasional slight grinding sound that my wife often noted when doing guide duties - I never did hear it, being way back on the opposite side. I never noticed lack of braking power.

I pulled the left drum and replaced the stock Chinese bearings, races and seal with USA made Timken parts. One observation I did make were rusty coloured deposits in the grease and what appeared to be fretting on the bearing bores. No sign of compromise of the actual axle spindle though.

After jacking up the trailer right side and spinning the wheel I heard a god-awful grinding and clanking. I pulled the drum and out fell the remains of the brake ajuster spring and the brake adjuster (star-wheel). The drum was heavily scored, the magnet severely worn and the Nevr-R-Adjust cable assembly was missing. Closer inspection of the shoes found what appeared to be an impression of the missing Nev-R-Adjust cable on the trailing shoe. Both shoes were relatively unworn which leaves me with the impression that the right brake probably had not been functioning for 6000 miles or so. I had the trailer in for some minor warranty service in Seattle, Buda TX and Portland OR during the trip and nothing was mentioned at any of the dealerships of unusual noises.

To get back underway for local warranty work I secured the shoes at the bottom with lockwire and clipped the electrical leads. The remainder of the story is in my original post. It is beyond me how the malfunction came about; how can the brake adjuster and spring part company with the brake shoes?

Cheers - Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	372.6 KB
ID:	196622   Click image for larger version

Name:	1a.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	297.0 KB
ID:	196623  

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	606.1 KB
ID:	196624   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	196625  

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	207.3 KB
ID:	196626  
Sailor-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
The adjuster spring brakes, allowing the adjuster to slip from its mounted position and fall to the bottom of the brake drum. From that point it spins round and round grinding against the inside of the drum, and of course providing no braking what so ever. I now carry an extra pair of springs just in case. The tell tale sound is a rattle in the hubs. In my case, a trusted friend and fellow 'streamer even told me "That sounds like a broken adjuster spring". To which I replied, "That's impossible, these are brand new brakes". He was right, I was wrong and now the reason I carry extra springs.

As a follow on, when I contacted Dexter about the problem they jumped on it immediately. They were very through and even replaced the drums which were a brand X and not Dexter. Because of their response, they created a customer for life including the two new axles and full brake setups I will need for my current project trailer.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Old 09-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Fort Worth , Texas
Great pics and explanation! I hope this will prompt folks to check their brakes at least as often as recommended.

Thanks for the great post! All the best! :-)
Old 10-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Valparaiso , Indiana
I just replaced the tires on my recently purchased '75 Sovereign 31' and pulled the drums to check the brakes. I found the exact same pieces on the drum, except mine are rusted and have obviously been tumbling around in there for a while. When I order new brake assemblies, should I get the 6000# or 7000# capacity Dexter Nev-R-Adjust?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor-d View Post

I also had brake problem that was handled very well by Dexter.

Bonding failure...

The thread documents the whole adventure start to finish.

Bob