Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I just purchased the Fleet Specialties Sentry System but not yet installed it.

The things I liked about this system are the fact that it can be configured to the axle configuration I have, four on the TV and 6 on the trailer. The batteries are watch type and user changeable. The gauge mounts in a standard 2 1/8 pod. The senors are programmable in different ranges and changeable should I tow a different trailer with different tire pressure.

This system was originally designed for the commercial market and has several design advantages.

http://www.tiresentry.com/

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Milton , Florida
Dill model 1504 TPMS

We installed a Dill, model 1504, TPMS yesterday (2006 30' Classic). The sensors install inside of the tire, and transmit pressure and temperature. The GYM tires were inflated with nitrogen, to 65 psig, and rebalanced at this time.

The cold inflation pressure set point (which is adjustable) is set for 65 psig, and the unit will alert at 20% below and 30% above this set point. These alert points, relative to the cold inflation pressure set point, are not adjustable. This translates to a low pressure alert point of 52 psig, and a high pressure alert point of 85 psig for our setup.

The unit will alert for high temperature when the temperature inside of the tire exceeds 176 degrees F. I hope that the temperature feature will serve as an early warning system for wheel bearing problems, but I do not know for a fact that it will.

Battery life, for the sensors mounted inside of each tire, is quoted at 5 to 7 years. The battery is not replaceable, so new sensors will have to be fitted when a battery fails. I guess that this will translate to be a sensor change at an end of tire-life tire change (5 to 7 years?).

The unit alerts automatically, as required. It also scans and displays the tire pressure on one tire at a time. One can manually (press a button) display the tire temperature on one tire at a time.
Centramatics wheel balancing & Dill TPMS
Hensley hitch & Maxim skylights
Voyager Camera System WVOS713
2010 FORD F-250, ITBC, 6.8 liter V-10 gas, with VIAIR on-board air system
nickmeloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:24 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
We parked the 'stream 2 weeks ago...in the back yard...last weekend I fired up the truck to run an errand and the Hawkshead lit up...low tire on the trailer...35 psi

I was out of town all week and this morning went to look see what was up...19.4 psi and a honkin' big bolt thru the center of the tread...the plug seems to be holding...

Notice the red flashing on the top of the monitor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hawkshead Phlat.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	119323  
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Warranty Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87MH View Post
I installed a Doran system in March of 2010 - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems, School Bus Safety and LED lights from Doran - I now have a "no reading" on one of the transmitters - don't know if it's the battery or the transmitter itself.

Unit is supposed to have a two year warranty - up to 5 years life on the batteries - have not yet contacted them about the failure - will post back to let you know how it goes.
Doran replaced the transmitter - no problems.

Took about three weeks total - but that was across the holidays.

Good warranty service. Not a bad unit for the price.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
We parked the 'stream 2 weeks ago...in the back yard...last weekend I fired up the truck to run an errand and the Hawkshead lit up...low tire on the trailer...35 psi

I was out of town all week and this morning went to look see what was up...19.4 psi and a honkin' big bolt thru the center of the tread...the plug seems to be holding...

Notice the red flashing on the top of the monitor...
I'm glad to hear that it worked as advertised.

It looks just like mine, with the exception of number of sensors.

I like the warm secure feeling that I get from mine so much, that I got sensors for the truck also. I also monitor the spare on truck and trailer.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I have the Hawkshead system. I believe it was a little less expensive than some, and I especially liked the fact that you can easily change the batteries in the sensors yourself,

It has worked reliably for me for several seasons now.

Because our trailer and tow vehicle are both quite long, I also bought an optional battery operated signal booster that I place into the overhead front storage cabinet of the trailer when we travel.

I probably didn't need this $60 extra, because on one trip, I forgot to bring it and the system still worked fine - still it gives me the confidence that I have a good strong signal and may be beneficial in colder temperatures and/or if the batteries in teh sensors are getting weak.

I would buy this system again.

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:42 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Both the Pressure Pro and Doran TPMS work well for me... but note (excerpt from my March 5, 2011 article "TPMS - Update"):

"Over the phone, Doran Sales Representative, Debbi Gerdes, told me that people tend to over-tighten the sensors when screwing them on the tire valve stem, which can cause the inner O-ring to bulge out or become loose and can lead to failure of the unit. Debbie advised to just get them barely tight enough to seal. She also said that the seal is not normally visible on the sensor, but if it is seen, it could be gently pressed back in place with a dental pick."

TPMS - Update

SilverGate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:21 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Other than the Hawkshead web site, where is a good place to buy this product? I am thinking about buying their HD Plus for $329 but think I might find a better price somewhere else. Thanks-

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:04 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
here's my experience with hawkshead:

i installed the system and it was working fine for a while...

someone stole my sensors of my truck (while un-hitched) and my TMPS monitor did never alert me of the missing sensors, in fact it happily continued to show the "correct" tire pressure.

after back and forth the sold me new sensors at a 40% discount (still around $95.- for 4)

next one of the sensors stopped working, after an other back and forth they did replace the sensor (under warranty)

next the TMPS monitor would show low batteries on all sensor, i put new batteries in, after less than an hour agin low bat signal... oh well with almost 3000miles left on that trip i said screw it i guess i just hope no tire blows...
back home they are telling me now that my (just about 3 months out of warranty) monitor is defect, they are happy to sell me a new monitor for $60 (instead of $120.-) if i send the old one back

so... on pretty much every single trip i had some kind of issue with this system, worst of all i don't ever know if it even will work correctly when a failure would happen... so after sinking almost $500 in a system that seems not reliable in my eyes i am not sure if i want to drop an other $60.- to only have some other troubles again...

the replaceable batteries are nice but don't seem to last very long... so replace batteries yourself and have aging sensors, or get new sensors with new batteries every 3-5 years for close to the same price...

i think i'll switch to pressure pro...

anyone interested in a slighty used hawkshead system with 8 sensors? i also have 8 metal stem valves i never installed and 4 of the 8 sensors have not been used and have new batteries with them
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
someone stole my sensors of my truck (while un-hitched) and my TMPS monitor did never alert me of the missing sensors, in fact it happily continued to show the "correct" tire pressure.
Wow, that's disturbing!

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
here's my experience with hawkshead:

anyone interested in a slighty used hawkshead system with 8 sensors? i also have 8 metal stem valves i never installed and 4 of the 8 sensors have not been used and have new batteries with them

Sorry to hear about your bad luck - we have had a very good experience with Hawkshead after two seasons of use. I have had to replace a couple of the sensor batteries, but I buy them from Hong Kong thru Ebay for next to nothing and free delivery so no complaints there!

Other than that, no problems.

What price are you asking for the old system? I wouldn't mind having a bunch of spare sensors just in case! Maybe I could put a couple of the motorcycle and motorcycle luggage trailer!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-15-2011, 07:39 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I went with the lithium HD Hawkshead sensors that last for 5 years. Then you send them back for new batteries. It is a sealed system. My Hawkshead saved my bacon on 2 blowouts. I am very glad I have them.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:05 PM   #53
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
My experience with Hawkshead has been very good. Right at first I had two unrelated sensor problems, that were taken care of quickly at no cost.

Since then, no problems at all. Its been two years. I leave the sensors on my truck year around. I change batteries each spring. I have sensors on the spare tire on both TT and TV. Not only does it let me know what the spare is doing, it also is a spare sensor if one malfunctions during a trip.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:05 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I have sensors on the spare tire on both TT and TV. Not only does it let me know what the spare is doing, it also is a spare sensor if one malfunctions during a trip.

Ken
Ken, That is interesting, I always thought that the sensors had some sort of centrifugal switch in them such that the wheel had to be rotating to turn the sensor on - obviously not, must be just a switch that detects any sort of motion, else you wouldn't get a signal from the spare.

Good idea, maybe I should order an extra sensor!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Ken, That is interesting, I always thought that the sensors had some sort of centrifugal switch in them such that the wheel had to be rotating to turn the sensor on - obviously not, must be just a switch that detects any sort of motion, else you wouldn't get a signal from the spare.

Good idea, maybe I should order an extra sensor!

Brian.
Most, if not all, TV OEM mfrs use sensors which have a motion switch incorporated in them. That's why they have an estimated life of 10 years. I am unaware of any of the valve stem sensors which are switched, thus the shorter battery life. They switch on whenever there is air pressure applied (installed on the stem). That's why I remove mine whenever parked for more than a day or so.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:16 AM   #56
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
That's why I remove mine whenever parked for more than a day or so.
I like that idea if it substantially increases battery life. I may not remove them if we're traveling from place to place and only stopping for a day or two. But it would certainly make sense to remove them if the rig is stored for a few weeks (or months).

I've heard others say the set-up can be tedious. Do you have to go through the same set-up procedure when you re-install the sensors? Do you simply mark the sensors and put them on same tire. We have not purchased a system yet so I don't understand all the details.

Thanks for the info.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:20 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Most, if not all, TV OEM mfrs use sensors which have a motion switch incorporated in them. That's why they have an estimated life of 10 years. I am unaware of any of the valve stem sensors which are switched, thus the shorter battery life. They switch on whenever there is air pressure applied (installed on the stem). That's why I remove mine whenever parked for more than a day or so.
Tire Stat by Mobile Awareness are switched by motion. You can also air up the tire without removing the sensor.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:24 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Here is a link.
Transportation Safety Products

They are spendy but a high quality commercial unit.
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Here is a link.
Transportation Safety Products

They are spendy but a high quality commercial unit.
Nice, but, WOW....$685?
Old 09-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
I like that idea if it substantially increases battery life. I may not remove them if we're traveling from place to place and only stopping for a day or two. But it would certainly make sense to remove them if the rig is stored for a few weeks (or months).

I've heard others say the set-up can be tedious. Do you have to go through the same set-up procedure when you re-install the sensors? Do you simply mark the sensors and put them on same tire. We have not purchased a system yet so I don't understand all the details.

Thanks for the info.

Lucius
No, re setup required, at least on the Doran.