Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #81
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Not sure I believe the speed limit link posted above. The only state I checked is Michigan because that is where I am now. The Michigan speed limit for towing with a passenger vechile is the posted speed limit.

That's exactly what I'm trying to point out. A few people on here have a view point and instead of researching thoroughly, they post the first thing they can find that supports their claim and start pulling the safety card and calling people law breakers and irresponsible.
thinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #82
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Guys, I can't go through every vehicle code. Maybe some of it is wrong. Could be. Not sure. I have found other articles statin similar. I know it's posted in certain states. But my point is that 55-65 ain't 'slow drivin'. It's an acceptable and very often mandated speed for towin. My point ain't even that ya can't go fast. Just pass me and don't tail me cause it ain't makin me go faster.

That's all. I'll see y'all on the road. I'm the guy in the right lane goin 55.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:16 AM   #83
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinder View Post
That's exactly what I'm trying to point out. A few people on here have a view point and instead of researching thoroughly, they post the first thing they can find that supports their claim and start pulling the safety card and calling people law breakers and irresponsible.
Ya don't need research to know what feels safe. Right?

Ya gotta understand that I spend 11 months a year on the highway and the only folks that have made me uncomfortable are folks that are drivin fast. I ain't ever had a 'slow' driver make me feel unsafe.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #84
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
Guys, I can't go through every vehicle code. Maybe some of it is wrong. Could be. Not sure. I have found other articles statin similar. I know it's posted in certain states. But my point is that 55-65 ain't 'slow drivin'. It's an acceptable and very often mandated speed for towin. My point ain't even that ya can't go fast. Just pass me and don't tail me cause it ain't makin me go faster.

That's all. I'll see y'all on the road. I'm the guy in the right lane goin 55.

I've got no problem with people towing how they want to tow. My problem is when someone implies or outright says what I or others are doing is unsafe/ irresponsible/ illegal with nothing but opinions and single sided arguments to back it up. Drive 20, I won't tailgate or pass you. But if I'm rolling 70 don't chastise me because you THINK it is a problem. If you have reasoning and data, I'm all ears.

Saying stopping distance is more is only a single side, of course that is true, but by that logic what is a safe speed if slower always decreases stopping distance? Is there a differential equation you're using to compare against DOT data to derive a speed? Of course not!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 AM   #85
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
So by that logic you're de-rating an N rated tire by 25% so L rated marathons should have a max speed of 56 mph? .....
No, the 2 speed things are different. It's a little difficult to explain coming at it from this end. It makes more sense if you start with the idea that ST tires are speed restricted and the speed rating is just a measure of the quality of the tire.

Quote:
...... Where are you finding this speed restriction? The only reference material I can find is speed rating.
The speed restriction is part of the tire standard as published by the Tire and Rim Association - the US tire standardizing organization. You can also see it here: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

The first table is for ST tires and one of the entries is max speed.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Just to clarify, the chart I posted was for maximum speed on interstates, not towing speed or back road speed.
I believe back road speed is controlled by the county, or town, not the state. (Waldo, Fl. won as the biggest speed trap. HWY 301 goes through, it's divided 4 lane and the speed limit goes 65/55/65/35 Boom, there's the cop!)

However, I couldn't find any chart of towing speeds for the US.
I think each state sets it's own and posts it.

If you think the US is confusing, try driving in Europe.
Signs like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeichen_330_-_Autobahn,_StVO_1992.svg.png
Views:	82
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	290115  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #87
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Quote:
I've got no problem with people towing how they want to tow. My problem is when someone implies or outright says what I or others are doing is unsafe/ irresponsible/ illegal with nothing but opinions and single sided arguments to back it up. Drive 20, I won't tailgate or pass you. But if I'm rolling 70 don't chastise me because you THINK it is a problem. If you have reasoning and data, I'm all ears.

Saying stopping distance is more is only a single side, of course that is true, but by that logic what is a safe speed if slower always decreases stopping distance? Is there a differential equation you're using to compare against DOT data to derive a speed? Of course not!
It's just too much experience of having folks on the hwy get truly mad I'm goin 60... even 65 sometimes. Or 55 round a tight curve that has a yellow sign suggestin 50. Or even for slowin down for construction. They're all just so mad cause they don't have enough time to do what they wanna do. I grow tired of havin to ignore people tailin me at 60. Maybe at 45 I'd understand.

And it all feels kinda dangerous with these folks. So maybe it ain't you. Maybe you're very safe, but my experience is that a lot of folks wanna prove somethin on the hwy. And it often becomes dangerous. So we gotta think about that as we travel and maybe err on the side of safety, if we can.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #88
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
No, the 2 speed things are different. It's a little difficult to explain coming at it from this end. It makes more sense if you start with the idea that ST tires are speed restricted and the speed rating is just a measure of the quality of the tire.

The speed restriction is part of the tire standard as published by the Tire and Rim Association - the US tire standardizing organization. You can also see it here: http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf

I reviewed that table in the past and noted it was only up to D rated tires and that it was in 2005 prior to the endurance. Also it says they are in the process of revising, I'm searching for an updated PDF now.

Additionally the first table Shows ST tires being used for an RV in the Steering positons and all positions not trailer use. I was under the impression you couldn't use ST tires on a motorhome but I might be confusing passenger tires on a trailer.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:17 AM   #89
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinMan View Post
It's just too much experience of having folks on the hwy get truly mad I'm goin 60... even 65 sometimes. Or 55 round a tight curve that has a yellow sign suggestin 50. Or even for slowin down for construction. They're all just so mad cause they don't have enough time to do what they wanna do. I grow tired of havin to ignore people tailin me at 60. Maybe at 45 I'd understand.

And it all feels kinda dangerous with these folks. So maybe it ain't you. Maybe you're very safe, but my experience is that a lot of folks wanna prove somethin on the hwy. And it often becomes dangerous. So we gotta think about that as we travel and maybe err on the side of safety, if we can.
I certainly understand that. I get tailed doing 70 here! I just fold the mirrors in and just keep on doing my thing. Its certainly not us tailing you, I promise!
Old 07-22-2017, 11:28 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post

I just sent you an email, so I can continue try to understand without getting side tracked
Old 07-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #91
Elliot/Barbara

Airstream - Other
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Collins , Colorado
I am running at 80 psi as Discount Tires said I needed that to handle the max load rating. I did have to tighten up all my cabinet hinges as on my first trip everything opened and much broken glass.
If I go back to 65 psi what happens to the load capacity?
ElliotA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
California had a towing vehicle speed limit of 55. That applied even to motorcycles pulling a trailer. Towing vehicles were restricted to the two right lanes that were rougher than a corn cob and beat up the rig pretty hard.

A lot of the trucks passed me when I was driving home on I-10 at 55 towing my first Airstream (2013 25FB International Serenity) for the first time with my 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI. Murphy showed up and there were delays due to a road hazard (drew) flat tire on the Mercedes (right rear) that developed while at a rest stop. Five hours later after a Keystone Cop fire drill getting the flat fixed, I was able to continue the trip from about 10pm to 4 am.

When I crossed into Arizona, everyone but me speeded up to 75. Traffic was light and the trucks and cars could see the rear running lights of the Airstream and passed with no issues. I would flash my headlights when the trucks were past me so they could pull in.

It was safe driving experience. I could feel the bow wave push of the big rigs when they got close and passed. The Hensley Arrow hitch prevented any sway issues.

The 55 mph speed is appropriate for the V6 diesel power band and when climbing in the mountains it can maintain that speed by dropping back to 4th gear and 3,100 rpm. I can drop to second gear and 35 mph (the posted speed limit) when descending into the Salt River Canyon on US60 returning home and the back pressure of the diesel allows for no brake application being necessary.

The lower speeds reduce the heat build up in the trailer tires. I thought that was prudent driving back with the OEM GYM ST225/75R15D tires used at the time. I switched to the 15" Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires after parking the trailer in the storage area based upon articles on the forum and had no failures to date.

A screw in the corner of one of the 15" Michelin tire sidewall radius required a replacement tire under the road hazard warranty.

The 15" Michelin tire models I have installed onto two of my Airstreams are no longer available and have been replaced with the "Defender" series which have a slightly higher load rating at the same pressures.

When towing, I respect the yellow speed signs for turns and hills whether the person behind likes it or not.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 07:33 AM   #93

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Gye - Goodyear endurance

Technically, the load capacity would go up. But there is a double edged sword here. As a tire's pressure goes down, more flexing of the tire occurs. This produces heat. The faster a tire turns the more heat it generates. So you have this double equation of speed and inflation pressures that affect the life of a tire.

A great example of this theory is Airstream's statements that with their tandem axle trailers, you could tow with one wheel of a tire is disabled. The instructions however are to reduce speed to 45 mph. Why? Well one of the reasons is that with one tire carrying all that weight, that tire is going to flex a lot more, but the offset to that is the reduce speed which will slow the wheel turns and subsequent flex. As long as that tire can dissipate the heat that is gained, the tire can carry loads which are in excess of the normal capacity.

The entire charting system used to determine load capacity of a tire is built on the concept of the ability of a tire to dissipate heat. Too much speed creates heat, too little air pressure creates heat. That's the balancing act. As the tire turns slower it can carry more weight. As the inflation pressure goes up, it can carry more weight. Once the generated heat caused by flexing of the tire reaches the point where it exceeds the tires design points, a structural failure occurs and the tire starts flying apart.

The goal then is to recognize those factors and keep those tires within their design limits. The only way to do that folks is by monitoring your driving speeds and inflation pressures. That's what inflation charts are showing you. Speed, inflation (load), which are the components that generate heat.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:00 AM   #94
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Ive been all through the Texas transportation code and I cant find the trailer speed limit, the only thing I can find is a few articles naming the 65mph speed limit and not referencing the code and if they do, there is nothing in the code. I.E. referencing Texas transportation code 545.352, and there is nothing there regarding speed.

So again, I'm just trying to find fact, not opinion or quick internet search help.

And for the record, I stated Highway not interstate.
See post number 67, please. The info on this link may be out of date.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to the forum! I believe there may be a D-rated GYE, and that issue is discussed in at least one of the threads linked in one of the first posts in this thread.

My recollection is that the D-rated GYE would not be suitable for most Airstreams, in terms of either its weight rating or max speed designation.

YMMV
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ce/sizes-specs

D Rated for ST215/75R14
E Rated for ST225/75R15, ST235/80R16, ST235/85R16, ST255/85R16
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #96
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

When towing, I respect the yellow speed signs for turns and hills whether the person behind likes it or not.
You're more patient than I am. I think a lot of the roads in southern Missouri had those speed signs put up when Model Ts were the majority of cars on the road. Traveling on bicycle tires, I don't think they could take turns like today's cars and trucks. I just can't make myself slow to 25 mph when I can clearly see that a much higher speed is just fine. I guess I'm a risk taker. I also am not too concerned if the person behind me doesn't like the speed I'm traveling. If he/she is in a bigger hurry than I am, that's their issue.
On another note, I was with some older gentlemen on a BMW motorcycle trip once. Their rule of thumb for going around turns was, multiply the posted turn speed by 2, then subtract 10. So a 30 mph turn was safe at 50.
I only rode with them once.. I don't like wearing out a set of tires that fast.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:46 PM   #97
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I just got a 2018 27' with 15" Endurance tires and the owner's manual says they are rated at 87 MPH.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:36 PM   #98
AVS
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Chino Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I just got a 2018 27' with 15" Endurance tires and the owner's manual says they are rated at 87 MPH.
Did yours come with metal stems like these and is that standard now with the Endurance tires?
These are the stems recommended for use with TPMS systems, correct?
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170727_195653.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	290654
AVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:39 AM   #99
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Gye - Goodyear endurance

Traveling mans post on speed limits while,towing was interesting. Here in Colorado, it states:

Towing speed limit: 65 mph
Did you know?: Colorado allows you to tow two trailers at once.

So, when towing two AS's at the same time, maybe you should decrease speed more[emoji12][emoji12]

I admit I like driving and tend to drive aggressive when in my car alone. Speed limits on roads here are posted max 75, and I tend to go 5 over.

When I started towing the AS, I knew I needed to become a defensive driver and slow down. At first setting cruise to 65 on a posted 75 seemed stupid. However, I am now used to 65 and that is the max speed I tow at.

After first trip and stuff all over the AS floor, I now also obey those yellow signs and slow down. Haven't had anything on the floor since then.

I feel more comfortable at the slower speeds now, and in all reality, I don't think 5 to 10 mph difference impacts my time much at all. I also feel the rig "more out of control" when I get faster than 65.

I also now know how truckers feel, whenever you are driving with a safe distance between you and the next vehicle in front of you, and some idijit always has to cut In Front of you.

Y'all drive at faster speeds if you want, and if you feel safe, That's your business, and I won't judge. I do feel after reading much in this topic that under inflation and overspeed are the two primary reasons any tire blows, regardless of brand.

So be aware of the speed rating, slower is better, and make sure you always check lugs and pressure before you tow. This formula has worked well for me.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:15 AM   #100
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Very comfortable at 65. Much easier on the pocketbook also. That helps me more than anything..

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote