Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Now I'm Spooked

Hi,

We took delivery of our new 23D just a little over 3 months ago. Of course it has goog ole' GYM's on it. Is the problem with GYM's so bad that I should run out now & replace 'em?
Has ANYONE had a satisfactory experience with GYM's or am I pulling 4 blowouts waiting to happen?

I check tire pressure each day before hitting the road ad look the tires over at each rest stop. Should I get a TPMS and be careful or change these tires out now?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Well now you've started it. Brace yourself!

Here's my theory. This is an Airstream Forum. Hence, the people on it own Airstreams. Airstream used GYM's as the OEM tire. Hence most people on here with later models have GYMs. So when a tire blows out, it is likely a GYM. So the correlation is that GYMs are crap tires? Is it possible that if Michelin LT tires were what the factory used, they would be the ones maligned instead, since they are the ones most people have?

Those who have had GYM blowouts will be checking in here shortly, with the fact that they had blowouts 'proving' that GYMs are not reliable.

Anyway...

I've run GYMs 25,000 miles on two trailers. Yes, check cold inflation EVERY morning. TPMS I added, as many blowouts can be mitigated by warning signs of decreasing pressure or increasing temperature. Tires rarely just 'blow up." They start to leak from a puncture, or heat up more than usual, etc. TPMS is extra peace of mind. And cheap when it warns of an impending failure and saves $1000s of potential coach damage. Not to mention the potential for an accident.

Michelin Light Truck tires blow out too. They're tires.

Having said all that...the standard tire is now the new Endurance, made in the USA, and I am guessing will be very reliable as well, but even more so, not coming from China. It will be my next tire.

My 2 cents.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #3
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I don't think I would run them for six years ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #4

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Use them for 3-4 years, TPMS essential imho, my tires of choice for replacement are Maxxis 8008. Lift RV and spin test the tires a couple of times a year.
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I used GYMs on 5 different Airstream trailers over a period of 20 years. Never had a problem, not even a flat tire.
Seems like people started have problems around the mid 2000's. I did not use them during that time.
YMMV
Old 07-14-2017, 06:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheriff1 View Post
Use them for 3-4 years, TPMS essential imho, my tires of choice for replacement are Maxxis 8008. Lift RV and spin test the tires a couple of times a year.
That sounds reasonable. We're considering an Alaska trip in 3 years and I'll change the tires before then for sure.

So I've taken a look at TPMS systems. It looks like the sensors attach to the valve stems which makes me think a rebalance is necessary after adding them.

Any recommendations in regard to TPMS?

Thanks
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:43 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
That sounds reasonable. We're considering an Alaska trip in 3 years and I'll change the tires before then for sure.

So I've taken a look at TPMS systems. It looks like the sensors attach to the valve stems which makes me think a rebalance is necessary after adding them.

Any recommendations in regard to TPMS?

Thanks
There are a few good systems out there. I happen to have this one and it does the job.

https://www.amazon.com/Truck-System-...monitor+system

They do recommend switching out the rubber valve stems to metal ones. While having that done, might as well have them spun and balanced.

I took my wheels off at home 2 at a time and took them in. Too many horror stories about tire shops not using the jack points and causing damage. One guy on here was even at the tire shop recently pointing out the jack point to the mechanic, and right then, another mechanic started on the other side and smashed in the water tank cover and drain valve.
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:48 PM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
I am convinced that there was a period after Goodyear started building tires in China, when the quality suffered. There were too many infant mortality failures of GYM tires reported.

Now, I am also convinced that quality improved. Goodyear now builds the Defender in the US and that is supposed to be what is on new AS trailers. No one seems to be reporting early failures on those tires.

So, do you have GYMs or GYDs? If they are GYMs, consider replacement at 20K or two years. That is possibly half life, but very smart insurance and you might want to double down with an even shorter cycle. At least once per year, do the "free spin" test and look for case problems and wear issues. Never exceed 65 mph. The GYDs may be fine, the data is still being developed.

My GYMs had 20K miles and were about two years old when they were replaced. Our decision was partially driven by a strong desire to move to 15 inch tires for the added ground clearance. There are a lot of tire threads. Do the research. It's important to make an informed decision on your approach to tires so your RV travel is not SPOOKED.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
Goodyear now builds the Defender in the US and that is supposed to be what is on new AS trailers.
The newer model is the Endurance. The Defender is a Michelin tire.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:41 PM   #10
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
They are extremely dangerous. Take them off ASAP. Mail them to me for proper disposal.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
The newer model is the Endurance. The Defender is a Michelin tire.
Well, I suppose that is a true Freudian slip. My apology for the error and thank you for the correction. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
On our two new Airstreams we run the GYMs for two years each, sold them and replaced with Michelin. They have a record of failing after that period.

No TPMS on the trailer, pretty much a waste of money. If they fail suddenly, the TPMS just tells you they did and the damage is done. Save the money and put it towards more reliable tires. Or to cover the insurance deductible.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:01 PM   #13

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
No TPMS on the trailer, pretty much a waste of money. If they fail suddenly, the TPMS just tells you they did and the damage is done. .
Strongly disagree. Why would ALL major manufacturers of vehicles be putting them on new vehicles?
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:35 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My view is they are to protect the knuckleheads that don't check tire pressure regularly.

That said, TPMS is in my AS's future as an extra layer of safety.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:11 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
If you peruse the list of topics/threads in this Tires sub-forum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438/

. . . you will see many threads on the Goodyear Endurance [GYE], Michelins, blow-outs and so forth.

The new search function above, with the blue border, works great, so for instance here are the search results for TPMS:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tpms...=airforums.com

which leads to available tire pressure monitor info on this site. For instance this GYM Alternatives thread has some recent comments:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f438...15-156339.html

When we replace our GYM's, we intend to add TPMS as "an extra layer of safety" [as rmkrum just said], as well as the Centramatic wheel balancing system.

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:32 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our "new" trailer had 14" GYMs on it when purchased. One of those tires had a 1997 date code... The trailer has well over a hundred thousand miles on it, and to my knowledge has never had a blowout or tread separation. I'm pretty sure I'd know, as our shop was the only one ever to perform repairs on it during its entire life.
FWIW, I do have a pile of other branded tires that have failed sitting out back, a very small number are Goodyear.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Replacing the tires was good practice

After replacing the Marathons on my trailer this week, after not quite two years of service, and examining them inside and out, they looked to me like they could have lasted quite a bit longer. I was always careful to keep them properly inflated, and protected from the sun when possible, and I never had any issues with them. But in preparation for more extensive travel, and because I feel the new Endurance tires are better constructed, I decided to replace all of them, including the spare.

I ordered 5 new Endurance tires and high-pressure metal valve stems online, and I brought the spare to my local Tire Kingdom first. After it was mounted and balanced, I used it and my Trailer Aid to take the other tires in two at a time. It was good practice, and now I feel confident about being able to replace a tire on the road, rather than waiting to do it for the first time in a stressful situation. It was also the first time I had removed and replaced the spare tire.

While I had them off, I also added Centramatic wheel balancers. We're headed north from Florida to Indiana and beyond, and after the first day of driving I can tell that things are running smooth. After stopping for lunch, I forgot to put away the paper towel holder that was sitting on the counter between the sink and stove, and when we got to our campsite, it was still sitting on the counter where I'd left it.

As instructed, at about 25, 50 and 100 miles after starting the trip, I stopped and used my torque wrench to verify all lug nuts were torqued to 110 foot pounds. Oh, and I had previously replaced all the lug nuts with solid ones so as to avoid any issues with those coming apart.
Old 07-15-2017, 06:13 AM   #18
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
We have our original 14" GYMs still on our 2011. Went out to Steamboat Springs CO last summer and back. Out across KS on the way out NE on the way back. Mountain passes, gravel, and interstates. Watch the pressure (as you already do) and I would think you'll be fine. I am swapping mine out this summer before our next trip. Going to 15" and Goodyear Endurance tires.

Previous AS trailers: (04) 19’ Bambi, and (11) FC 23FB
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:51 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The Federal Government requires TPMS on all new vehicles. That is why the manufacturers install them.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 06:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I would run them for at least a couple of years. I would also use TPMS.

Granted you could still have a blowout with TPMS - but

(a) It is said that many times a blowout is preceded by a slow leak allowing the tire to overheat and then causing a blowout. The TPMS should detect the slow leak before it gets to that stage.

(b) If you do get a blowout, the TPMS will tell you immediately and you can take immediate action. Without it you could be driving miles down the highways with chunks of tread flailing away at your valuable trailer and possibly causing thousands $ of damage
that "Might" have been avoided

I use the Michelin LT tires now - but still would never travel without TPMS on teh trailer (and tow vehicle)

Despite having the TPMS - and no matter what tires I have - I also make a point of doing a walkaround to look at all tires (also the trailer itself, hitch, and bike rack) every time we stop for a rest or for gas etc. Doesn't take more than a couple of minutes so why not!?

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote