Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 AM   #101
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I went from GYMs to Michelins (P rated 15" tires) and despite the higher speed tolerance - I try to stay at 62. Seriously thinking about the GYEs when the next set of sneakers is needed and despite the 87 mph rating, I'll still keep it at 62.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #102
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
The new trailers do have proper tire placards. My new 27' 2018 has the Endurance tires, and although the sidewall says 80 PSI, the placard for this particular trailer says 65 PSI.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM   #103
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutboy View Post
Traveling mans post on speed limits while,towing was interesting. Here in Colorado, it states:

Towing speed limit: 65 mph
Did you know?: Colorado allows you to tow two trailers at once.

So, when towing two AS's at the same time, maybe you should decrease speed more[emoji12][emoji12]

I admit I like driving and tend to drive aggressive when in my car alone. Speed limits on roads here are posted max 75, and I tend to go 5 over.

When I started towing the AS, I knew I needed to become a defensive driver and slow down. At first setting cruise to 65 on a posted 75 seemed stupid. However, I am now used to 65 and that is the max speed I tow at.

After first trip and stuff all over the AS floor, I now also obey those yellow signs and slow down. Haven't had anything on the floor since then.

I feel more comfortable at the slower speeds now, and in all reality, I don't think 5 to 10 mph difference impacts my time much at all. I also feel the rig "more out of control" when I get faster than 65.

I also now know how truckers feel, whenever you are driving with a safe distance between you and the next vehicle in front of you, and some idijit always has to cut In Front of you.

Y'all drive at faster speeds if you want, and if you feel safe, That's your business, and I won't judge. I do feel after reading much in this topic that under inflation and overspeed are the two primary reasons any tire blows, regardless of brand.

So be aware of the speed rating, slower is better, and make sure you always check lugs and pressure before you tow. This formula has worked well for me.

Well said . . . rushing around isn't the purpose of our excursions anyway. Relax, and take in the sights.
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 02:34 PM   #104
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotA View Post
I am running at 80 psi as Discount Tires said I needed that to handle the max load rating. I did have to tighten up all my cabinet hinges as on my first trip everything opened and much broken glass.
If I go back to 65 psi what happens to the load capacity?
I think the appropriate measure is to consult the tire manufacture's chart for PSI at a given weight.
The only way to do that is to weigh each tire.

I was at a RV rally where for a small fee, they'd weight each wheel separately. You pulled forward on to super thin scales (1"?) and recorded the reading. Then you could consult the tire manufacturers chart for proper inflation.
I wouldn't trust anything I heard at a tire store.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 PM   #105
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Ravenna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
I went from GYMs to Michelins (P rated 15" tires) and despite the higher speed tolerance - I try to stay at 62. Seriously thinking about the GYEs when the next set of sneakers is needed and despite the 87 mph rating, I'll still keep it at 62.
Trust you "de-rated" the load capacity of your "P" type tires.

IMO the 87 "rating" only reflects the fact that the GYE design was tested for the 30 min at the speed the release test requires. It is too bad that ST type tires get to still be considered "OK" if they pass the 1970 tests and not the tougher 2004 tests required for P and LT tires.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:42 PM   #106
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Trust you "de-rated" the load capacity of your "P" type tires.

...snip...

Absolutely! 1984# per tire. As the scales show about 6000# on trailer axles loaded for camping with WD hitch engaged, I have plenty of headroom even de-rated for P tires on my trailer.
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote