Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2011, 01:24 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Do I need new tires?

HI Airstreamers. I have Goodyear Marathons on my 2003CCD International. They were made in 2007. I am the orginal owner of these tires. They were made in China. They have low milage, but I am pushing it as far as their age. Yes, I have read the concerns about Marathons. My AS has sat in the backyard for almost two years (bummer), but now I am ready for some trips, my life has slowed down again. I only moved the AS back and fourth twice in the last two years, yes I know that is my bad. It seems I have 14" rims, the standard ones I assume. So, what is the current new tire recomendation for this model? Anyone out there can give me some information on this? Thanks in advance. J.
J Goertzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
limited options on 14 inch tires

we just replaced the GYM's on our 2006 Safari 23 with more GYM's because in the 14 inch tires, there are only two choices GYM or Carlisle and most folks on here seemed to say that the Carlisles were too stiff. There are plenty of tire threads, and many, many, many opinions.. so use the search button and see for yourself.

We are about to take our first week long trip on the new tires so if there are issues I will be back on here in a week with my experience.

one thing that im being told which seems to run counter to some suggestions here is to not inflate the tires above the mfg inflation specs. have been told this both by tire dealer and by AS certified service folks. but i guess to each their own.

D
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I would not consider 4 year old tire past their service life. Getting the the end and not at the end.

Proper inflation and frequent checking of that and prudent driving around road hazards would be in the best interest of your tires and any tires for that matter.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goal15 View Post

one thing that im being told which seems to run counter to some suggestions here is to not inflate the tires above the mfg inflation specs. have been told this both by tire dealer and by AS certified service folks. but i guess to each their own.

D
The story behind that is in the automotive industry, in which vehicle manufacturers will specify a lower than maximum inflation pressure to compensate for engineering deficiencies in the vehicle's suspension.
Personally, I recommend the maximum pressure for the load range tire your trailer was originally equipped with. Inflation pressures have risen within load ranges over the past decade or two. Load Range C tires, for example, used to have a maximum inflation of 45 psi, now it's 50 psi.
I would not recommend putting maximum pressure in a ten ply tire on your trailer, there is no need, and the increased pressure along with the naturally stiffer tires, will cause havoc with your trailer.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
To throw in another opinon. I tend to get tires with a load range at just greater than the total max load. (5% or so) Then I keep my tires inflated to max pressure to handle that max load. At times the load won't be maxed out however I keep my tires inflated there. Travel trailer tend not to have a great load fluctuation over the course of service. The biggest weight increase would be liquids. I typically travel with empty tanks. Liquids weigh a lot and are cheap to free to buy. (Water is usally free and waste isn't someting that I cherish) Now one may have to offset handling issues that a load of water could fix. However that is a discussion for another thread.

And generally RVs of all types gain weight as they age. Just like humans, they could get a diet and clean out the stuff that has been stored and never gets used any more.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Leslie , Michigan
I worked as a mechanic/shop manager for a BF Goodrich dealer for ten years. What they recommended was replaceing tires evey 7 years no matter how much tread was left on them. I would say that is a good rule of thumb for any tire. It had to do with moister getting to the steel belt, causing it to rust then seperate. So since your tires are only 4 years old, I would say you are fine as far as age goes.
Bad Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Goertzen View Post
HI Airstreamers. I have Goodyear Marathons on my 2003CCD International. They were made in 2007. I am the orginal owner of these tires. They were made in China. They have low milage, but I am pushing it as far as their age. Yes, I have read the concerns about Marathons. My AS has sat in the backyard for almost two years (bummer), but now I am ready for some trips, my life has slowed down again. I only moved the AS back and fourth twice in the last two years, yes I know that is my bad. It seems I have 14" rims, the standard ones I assume. So, what is the current new tire recomendation for this model? Anyone out there can give me some information on this? Thanks in advance. J.
With reference to the health of your tires, I might be more concerned about the length of time they have sat motionless than their actual age. Four years isn't too old, really, but because they have sat without being moved there may be other issues. Tires do their best when they are used. I would take a good long hard look at them...and then if you do decide to keep them, watch them carefully and keep them inflated properly, check them often to make sure they are holding air as you might expect.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Getting some good feedback and I appreciate it. My regular tire dealer I have dealt with for years ( I bought the 4 marathons I currently have from him 4 years ago per my request) he recomends Hercules Power STR tires. He does not care to sell Carlyie tires anymore because of complaints from customers with trailers because of blowouts to soon after purchase. "Goal 15" mentions that in the 14 inch there are only GYM and Carlisle's, but these Hercules are 14 inch. So, any feedback on Hercules Power STR tires?? Thanks in advance again, Jim
Old 06-11-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
I am starting to feel like I'm a fan boy, but again I recommend the Continental Vanco 2 made for heavier Eurovans with a good weight rating, even in 14" at Load Range D.

Continental Vanco 2

Continental USA Car / Light Truck / SUV -Vanco™2

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
I replace my tires every 4 years like clockwork regardless of appearance and mileage.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
J. , I couldn't find which CCD you own from your profile, so that could be a factor. If it's a 22' CCD then I would get new tires especially if your tow vehicle really is a Ford Ranger. A 22' trailer having a tire come apart would be a handfull for someone pulling it with a Ford Ranger. What length is your trailer? You also didn't put your location in your profile or where you plan to travel to. If you live where it's hot hot hot or plan to go there, then fresh tires are even more important.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I will be replacing my tires, still wondering about opinions in regards to Hercules brand. My TV is a Ford F150, super cab and the AS International CCD is 22 feet. I live in California, its hot at times. My feeling is, after reading about trailer tires off and on for a few years is, (1), I better take better care of them in the Winter than I have done in the past, (2), keep them at factory recomendation inflation, 3, don't overload the AS or TW. (4), stop every two hours, stretch my body, and then do a full visual inspection of AS and TW before getting back on the road, (5) try not to drive at night or when tired, (6) replace tires every 4 years, even if low mileage. Of course there are other concerns, but these will help, along with the Airstream communty's feedback.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Hercules Tires

My dealer didn't menton Hercules so i looked them up online.... interestingly their dealer network includes only one place in Dallas and one place in Fort Worth with a heavy presence in San Antonio. So there may indeed be a third option. Should you go that way, will be interested to see what your experience is. But in any event, it looks like your plan for dealing with your tire seems pretty sound.
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote