Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Tires and tire size

Been looking around on the forum and still not sure of a few things..while I was under my 73 Ambassador pulling the fresh water tank this morning I noticed all four of the tires are worse than I thought... I knew I was going to have to buy tires before taking it anywhere....

The size on the tire reads H78-15 ST......is that a size still available? or if not what does it convert to?

I bet these tires are going to be expensive....

What size would you recommend on my trailer and where should I purchase them?

Thanks for any info
Old 03-08-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyMoonshine View Post
Been looking around on the forum and still not sure of a few things..while I was under my 73 Ambassador pulling the fresh water tank this morning I noticed all four of the tires are worse than I thought... I knew I was going to have to buy tires before taking it anywhere....

The size on the tire reads H78-15 ST......is that a size still available? or if not what does it convert to?

I bet these tires are going to be expensive....

What size would you recommend on my trailer and where should I purchase them?

Thanks for any info
The correct tire size for Radials is, ST 225/75 R 15 either load range "C" or "D".

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
KY how about these tires and rims. $194.95 for tire and rim.
Loadstar ST225/75D15 Bias Trailer Tire with 15" Aluminum Wheel - 6 on 5-1/2 - Load Range D Kenda Tires and Wheels AM3S913
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The letter sizes were used on bias ply tires. Since this system was discontinued in the late 1970s it is possible you have the original tires.

Vintage Tire Size Conversion Chart - Vintage Car Connection - Old tire sizes

I would suggest a modern trailer tire of similar dimensions such as the ST225/75R15 in load range C.

The H78-15 had an overall diameter of 28.4" and was used on 6" wide rims. The ST225/75R15 Goodyear Marathon has an overall diamater of 28.3" and also specifies 6" wide rims.

Some forum members recommend the use of light truck (LT) tires instead of trailer tires, though this is controversial.

You can check prices at tirerack.com but you should end up paying around $100 tire. I have found it more practical to buy tires at a local tire shop. The choice is yours.

If you have one-piece rims you can probably reuse them depending on the condition they are in.

You may have two piece rims which most shops will not service. If that is the case you may have to replace the rims.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #5
Hillbilly Hagrid

1973 29' Ambassador
Stanford , Kentucky
Thank you... I have one piece wheels and they look to be in good shape..
I always try to purchase local if I can find what I need....

We only have Goodyear s...Tire Discounters...and NTB in my area...and Sears and Samsclub..

I like the Maxxis...wonder who carries them?
Old 03-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I've had Goodyear Marathons and others. I've been most satisfied with Marathons. BTW, if you are just now replacing the original tires, it is many years over due. Even if there is plenty of treadwear left, trailer tires should be replaced at least every 7 years or less depending on how your trailer is stored. Dry rot is the major cause of trailer tire damage. Another major cause is backing in and making a tight turn while backing. This can cause too much flex in the tires and cause a belt to break.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote