Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Tires
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2011, 07:54 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Any new updates on Tredit and LT tires?

I know this has been discussed extensively, but I'm just looking for an update from you 16" LT users after a HOT HOT summer.

Any issues? Clearance, failures, etc?

Is anybody using any other brand LT load range E tires other than Michelin? There are some deals out there on other brands of LTs.

I searched on Tredit and found some are using this wheel:

TR4 Mod

Has anyone used this one? Is the rear surface Centramatic friendly?

T02

I am gonna pull the trigger sometime soon as my GYM are over 5 years old and I have filiform on my OE wheels.

Thanks.
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
LONDON , ON
Unfortunately we have not been able to use our trailer more than a couple of times (3,500 miles) this summer but have had no issues regarding clearance or performance with the 16" Michelin LT's. They do look really good though.
SilverCottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Right around 2500 miles since we've put the Michelin's and the T 02 wheels on. Absolutly no problems, tires hold pressure well and the "peace of mind" is priceless!
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Two years ago I put a new axle on my 20' Argosy. This year I changed to 16" wheels and put on Goodrich TA 225/75 R16 tires, E range. I aired down the tires to about 60# so they would not be so stiff, following the capacity tables for that tire size and range. I had previously weighed my Argosy to determine the axle capacity needs, so I was able to pick an air pressure from the tire tables to agree with my weight.

The Goodrich TA's in that size and range are what the GMC motorhome owners Forum all swear by. It is a very popular tire, and not nearly as stiff as the Michelin. That also contributes to the softer ride that Inland Andy is always talking about.

I only have a few thousand miles on mine now, but so far I am very pleased with the ride quality as evidenced by the lack of movement of "stuff" inside after a tow. The trailer tracks like a bloodhound, and tows beautifully.

If you have an older AS, seriously consider a new axle and converting up to 16" tires. I always thought my Argosy towed well, but now it is better in all ways. Just a wonderful tow and ride.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Where do you get 16" Rims with the AS bolt pattern. It sounds like these maybe the same tires that are on my Ford Excursion Tow Vehicle.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

My 25 Safari has a 6300 gvw of which 6000 is running on 4 tires.
I am running P235 R 75 15 Michelin LTX XL tires. The XL stands for extra load and each tire has a load rating of 2200 pounds,approximately, at 50 pounds of pressure so there is plenty of capacity for my trailer.
The tires that cam on the Airstream were 225R ST 75's and there is minimal size difference between the new tires and the old. The new tires went on the stock wheels and mount easily.
The new tires are made to run in hot weather so I anticipate no problems unlike the old tires which blew up with regularity whenever I ran on the freeway in hot weather. As a bonus, I can safely run at 70 mph which was above the 65 mph rating of the ST tires.
15 inch tires are worth considering for a smaller Airstream or one with 3 axles.
handn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
These are the specs you are looking for:

Size: 16 x 6 Bolt Pattern: 6 x 5.5 Bore Size: 4.25 Load Rating: 2830 lbs @ 80 PSI Offset: 0mm

I ordered mine at a NW wheel and tire place, 6 Robblies who have outlets in Washington and Montana at least maybe more areas. You can find some on line too, I am sure. I had no problems with clearance, but you do need to check that carefully, especially if you have dual axels. I had no issues with my single axel Argosy. The final tire size is about an inch larger in diameter than the original, so you gain a half inch of ride height also. Probably closer to the original ride height of the old 700/15 original bias ply tires that came on the rigs of my 75 vintage.

I found the Goodrich TA 225/75 16 E tires in stock at Costco in Missoula MT, but they had been ordered for someone who had not picked them up. Otherwise Costco could order them for you.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote