Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2006, 03:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Woodside , New York
Does this price sound right for a Caravel axle?

After waiting two weeks for an appointment, then two MONTHS for an estimate, yes two months I finally received an estimate for a new axle on my 68 Caravel. The estimate is for $1600. It is a single axle.

I found this shocking and appalling. Could this be accurate?

Included in the price is a charge of $142.50 just to gather the proper measurements.

I don't know the forum rules for commenting about repair costs but this seems outrageous.

At this point I am ready to bring the Caravel anywhere else in the country where I can be treated more promptly and reasonably priced.

So forum members if you have had this work done and where happy with the quality of work please reply to this post or comment here and I will pm you.

I am located in the Northeast but am willing to go say up to 1000 miles for a good experience. We'll call it a "Axle Vacation". I was thinking about heading the the Outer Banks of NC.

Sometimes I really miss living in the NW.

Geno
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno
After waiting two weeks for an appointment, then two MONTHS for an estimate, yes two months I finally received an estimate for a new axle on my 68 Caravel. The estimate is for $1600. It is a single axle.

Included in the price is a charge of $142.50 just to gather the proper measurements.

I don't know the forum rules for commenting about repair costs but this seems outrageous.

At this point I am ready to bring the Caravel anywhere else in the country where I can be treated more promptly and reasonably priced.

So forum members if you have had this work done and where happy with the quality of work please reply to this post or comment here and I will pm you.

I am located in the Northeast but am willing to go say up to 1000 miles for a good experience. We'll call it a "Axle Vacation". I was thinking about heading the the Outer Banks of NC.

Geno
Geno,

Since you are in the northeast, call Colin Hyde at GSM Vehicles. He is in Plattsburg, NY

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Geno
New complete Henschen axles cost $800.00.

We are the exclusive distributor for them for 20 year and older Airstreams.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The price sounds a little high, but not outside the realm of reason. A shop will (probably) have to pay the $800, plus shipping, to their shop. Let's say shipping is $100 (just a round number). They now have $900 in it, plus what sounds like a minimum shop charge of an hour's labor, for two guys (one has to hold the measuring tape, and write down what the other guy says ).
If I use that assumption for a shop labor rate ($75/hour is cheap), and two guy's labor for two hours each, that's $300 to put it in. They will need to mark up the price of the axle, so they can stay in business. A 20% markup on this stuff is probably a little low, but I'll use that figure anyway.
$900
+ 180 (markup)
+ 150 (to measure the trailer for the axle)
+ 300 (to install the axle)
=$1530
x 6% sales tax
=$1621.80

Does that kind of look like the estimate they gave you?

Also, I helped a forums member install an axle in a Caravel a few months ago. After she paid for the axle, shipping, odds and ends we needed to complete the job, and gave the two of us that did the work a few bucks for doing it, she had about $1300 in the job.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:39 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Sounds outrageous to me

New axle from Inland $ 800 (no measuring charge because it will be the right one)

Freight < $100

Labor to install $150 ( 2hrs @ 75/ hr)

new shocks $75
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air
New axle from Inland $ 800 (no measuring charge because it will be the right one)

Freight < $100

Labor to install $150 ( 2hrs @ 75/ hr)

new shocks $75
Are you volunteering to drive to Geno's house and install his axle for him for $150?
Do you think the shop should give him the axle for what they paid for it? If so, why? How long do you think Wal-Mart would remain in business if they sold everything for exactly what they paid for it?
Old 11-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #7
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Figure that the frieght will be a little more maybe $165 or better. But... there should be no measuring involved. If you have the serial number of the trailer, make, model year - they (henschen) know what kind of axle you need!

It only takes about an hour to do this job, with the proper tools and work space.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I myself am in the repair business and I don't know about 150 dollars to
measure the axle only ,and what about the 2 month deal ? somthings goofy there already ,possibly they just don't really do airstream work or would rather not do the work at all . I agree though that when you go to a shop
for work you won't get parts at cost ,and why should you anyway ,everyone has to make a living .That said Inlands price and all sounds good compared to that shop price,and further, its 150 per hour then if two guys took each a min
hour labor to measure the axle and thats not right .First of all ,the shop should say UP FRONT that it will be a min hour at 75 per hour ,but may take
longer could be 150 00 ,then the customer knows the price ,say well the one guy had to hold the tape measure for me ,so it took two guys ,sounds like BS
to any one paying attention .you need to be careful when estimating jobs
as thats exactly why people get upset.Go with Inland or a comparable shop .
If you go Inland ,the right axle ready to go in will be delivered .

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 06:47 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
to that shop price,and further, its 150 per hour then if two guys took each a min
hour labor to measure the axle and thats not right .First of all ,the shop should say UP FRONT that it will be a min hour at 75 per hour ,but may take
longer could be 150 00 ,then the customer knows the price
Scott
That was an example, just throwing out numbers. The shop labor rate could well be $150/hr, or $142.50/hr. If that were the rate, the numbers would make more sense. Everything else would fall into line, as far as time and cost, and Geno could supply the serial number to Andy, and eliminate the $142 measuring fee.
Old 11-07-2006, 12:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Woodside , New York
Well thanks folks for all your input...

Terry,

Your estimate is almost to a tee correct. There is no markup on the part though. There are shipping costs and an "installation kit" which leaves me at just under 1700. I am a little upset that the shop is charging me $142.50 for measurements. They claim it was two hours or labor.

I am thinking that the axle is available at a retail price, to the public or a wholesale price, if it is being sold to a shop etc.

Janet,

Sounds like that may be the direction I go. Thanks for the simple reply.

Scott,

I think you are right on track with that they don't do Airstream work. The RV shop had many high end motorhomes. Not a single Airstream. Due to the high end vehicles they had on there lot I expected prompt quality service, what I got was a lack of attention. They did tell me that it would be about $150 to do the measurements in advance.

Finally is Inland RV the only shop in America that you can pickup a axle from?

Once again thanks all.

Geno
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #11
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi Geno--Try www.dexteraxle.com. After you have looked over their axles, click on Find A Distributor, and call one in your area for a no cost measurement and same day quote. I just had Dexter axles put on my A/S and am well satisfied with the cost and service.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Just put an INLAND RV axle on - $800 for axle and ~$85 for drop ship to my house. Need some info - PM me, I'll give you lots. Get the 12 inch brakes and Andy's recommended angle and poundage.

Shock Mounts on BACKWARDS - no real issue, I will have those cut off and re-welded but the axle is on and rides beautifully. One man job - with several jacks - 2 man job very easy.

You need a 1/2 inch drill bit as the holes do not align - again - no real issue - just know that up front. Drill on your back is a pain.

33033 Monroes work great for shocks.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Well thanks folks for all your input...

Finally is Inland RV the only shop in America that you can pickup a axle from?

Geno
1. We have all the correct specifications.

2. Dexter does not make a correct weight rating axle for your trailer.

3. Airstream and Henschen research has demonstrated what happens specifically to your Caravel, if you under or over rate the axle.

4. We have been doing what we do for over 40 years. Henschen and Airstream has confidence in that to both issue contracts with us knowing that we get it right the first time, with rare exceptions. We strive to keep Airstreams, original as possible, not a collection of off brand parts.

5. All we need is the trailer serial number.

6. Dexter needs all the specs. If it's wrong, it's your problem.

Andy
Old 11-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
BTW - Greg at INLANDRV is a great resource of information. Never failed to answer my question - may not of been what I wanted to hear BUT an answer is always good and appreciated.

Just thought I add this - ASK ALLOT OF QUESTIONS. You will be happier in the end.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It would be an issue to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
...Shock Mounts on BACKWARDS - no real issue, ...[snip]...33033 Monroes work great for shocks.
If you mean the axle arrived that way, you are a more benevolent soul than me. Welding must be done carefully on this type of axle or the the rubber innards will get smoked. I would have returned the axle.

Are the 33033 Monroes rated for horizontal service?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
If you mean the axle arrived that way, you are a more benevolent soul than me. Welding must be done carefully on this type of axle or the the rubber innards will get smoked. I would have returned the axle.

Tom
No - the 33033 are only replacements for the vertical mounted older style axle.

I had a rally to go to, the older axle was shot - I mean it was wasted. The tabs for the shocks are welded way out on the arm - far away from the rubber. I believe I can grind them off and then (to minimize the heat) weld them back on safely. Well aware of this issue.

I do not believe "benevolent soul" is a good description of me at all. I called INLANDRV and expressed my dislike of being told that the new axle was a "bolt on" replacement and this occured - they could of had the tabs left off and I would have been better off. For the money it should have been an "exact replacement" but it did "bolt on" with some modifications to it and the trailer and some drilling so I guess I made it "BOLT ON". The torsion arm stop blocks had to be removed from my frame as the "incorrect" placement of the shock mounts interfered with the movement of the axle. NOW I have to get the new shock mounts cut off - re-welded - and have the stop blocks re-welded. Cost is important, this will be some bucks. I LIKE THE AXLE - I WANT TRUE REPRESENTATION OF THE FACTS.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

Tom
1966, 67 and 68 Caravels had a variety of different ways the shock brackets were mounted. The chassis were not always the same for those years.

No one seems to know the reasons why.

Cutting the shock brackets off and rewelding them, does not void a Henschen warranty, nor can you harm the rubber rods.

To destroy the rubber rods, is near impossible as opposed to overheating the spindle, destroying it before you could overheat the rubber rods.

Obviously, that is not likely to happen.

None the less, the warranty would not be in any form of jeopardy.

Andy
Old 11-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Andy,

I understand production year changes.

What I do not understand is why this information was not shared with clancy boy. If asked, I get the impression that he would have looked at his setup & provided a description, sketch, or other information to ensure that a drop-in axle was delivered to his job site.

He even indicated his willingness to weld the mounts himself if he had understood that might be necessary.

I agree with his sentiment about representation of facts. Karma-wise, I approve of his last post.

Since I have returned axles in the past, I make this post.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #19
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlandrvcenter,inc
5. All we need is the trailer serial number.

6. Dexter needs all the specs. If it's wrong, it's your problem.

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw
Andy,

I understand production year changes.

What I do not understand is why this information was not shared with clancy boy. If asked, I get the impression that he would have looked at his setup & provided a description, sketch, or other information to ensure that a drop-in axle was delivered to his job site.

He even indicated his willingness to weld the mounts himself if he had understood that might be necessary.

I agree with his sentiment about representation of facts. Karma-wise, I approve of his last post.

Since I have returned axles in the past, I make this post.

Tom
Andy:
Doesn'tsound like your comment was strictly correct. Not picking on you, but if he gave his serial number, why didn't things match up?

JB
Old 11-08-2006, 09:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy:
Doesn'tsound like your comment was strictly correct. Not picking on you, but if he gave his serial number, why didn't things match up?
Serial numbers provide detail specifications, but not for the 66-67 and 68 Caravels.

The only thing serial numbers confirm for those years, and only for the Caravels, is the weight rating and out bracket dimensions, nothing more.

I agree, it is a difficult situation at best.

Andy

Tags
caravel