Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2006, 06:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Axle

When I started out I went on the cheap trying to save a few bucks here and there because I had more time than money.
Now that I'm on this end of the road of life, I've learned the hard way that in cases of major repair parts, go with the factory original. 95% percent of the time the holes line up and the fit is just sweet.
Bite the bullet and call Inland.
Your blood pressure will thank you.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
No Regrets

I have to say that I have no regrets. Andy's insight into the Airstream world is far greater than mine. I understand everything that went on with my axle and the configuration it came in, and with time will have it set straight. I did get it on and that was the most important thing. I do agree with beginner - buy quality up front - that's what this axle/brakes are - QUALITY. I have no experience with any manufacturers of trailer torsion axles and had to rely on Andy for that.

All this said, for those of you doing an axle change or planning one - get all the info up front. Send pictures, serial number, drawings etc..... and you will have the best available. Hey - it's a 40+ year old trailer - now it rides on a cushion of new rubber.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Guess I am lucky to live where I do. Lots of skilled craftsmen and honest shops in our area. One guy put my axle on in two hours at the quoted price. They had no problem installing a part I supplied. Maybe that's why the company I had it done at grew into a multimillion dollar operation with branches throughout the midwest and enjoys a stellar reputation for honesty and quality.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #24
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi 63air--I also am well satisfied with the work Mutual Wheel, Milan IL did mounting Dexter axles on my A/S. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.--Frank S
Frank S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Orion , Illinois
Thumbs up

Frank S. Glad to hear you had a good experience with Mutual Wheel. I am a firefighter and we often send trucks out there. A lot of lives depend on our vehicles and they always do the needed work on time and correctly.
63air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Woodside , New York
Hey Andy do you even OWN an Airstream?
Geno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 03:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno
Hey Andy do you even OWN an Airstream?
In order to belong to the WBCCI, you must own an Airstream.

My number is 11701.

Doesn't mean you have to use it.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Don't want to get personal but...

Andy,

I never wondered if you had an Airstream because I figured you did. But I have wondered what year & length Airstream you had.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:07 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
Andy,

I never wondered if you had an Airstream because I figured you did. But I have wondered what year & length Airstream you had.

Tom
1967 28 foot.

Andy
Old 11-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Thumbs up I knew there was something about you I liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
1967 ...

You have made me smile.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:58 AM   #31
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Catagory: '68 Caravel for $800. Here's the clue.....

During the return trip from San Felipe Mexico back to Flagstaff AZ this Thanksgiving weekend, our '68 Caravel developed some consistant brake drum noise. Sounded like a spring or some such rubbing the drum. The brake controller then became connected only intermittently, indicated by its LED display. We had to be home and made made our way carefully with no further problems - except that after we parked it and entered a few times to clean it, now the door won't open from the outside. A few searches led me to believe that the door issue could be just a symtom, pointing to the root cause of a worn-out original axle. This may be the time to replace it. I also worry about other problems I couldn't see with a newbie eye. It's probably time for a pro inspection to make sure all else, such as the frame, is intact and not damaged.

Immediate concern is the axle. I haven't gotten the weather to go take a more detailed look yet. But as soon as the day temp gets higher I'll be taking the wheels off and get the process started.

I'd like to ask Andy, if I were to order the axle from you:

What information would be required for a hassle free bolt-on procedure?
(Serial number, pictures of the existing axle, the shock mounting positions, and..??)

The info I gathered here in the past couple of days showed me 3 possible options with the hardware itself: Dexter, Axis or Herschen. I'm thinking Herschen for the stock compatibility, but would like to avoid the extra steps Clancy Boy had to take.

I'm ok with wrenching, having 4 old VWs to work on all the time; that's also where the habit came from to get the OG stuff as often as possible, or the closest to it.

Thanks.

Ricky

p.s. As to opening the door I will see if I can weasel in from the electrical access panel on the street side, underneath the bed/couch. After this Arctic cold front passes over.
roamingwesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:12 AM   #32
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingwesty
Immediate concern is the axle. I haven't gotten the weather to go take a more detailed look yet. But as soon as the day temp gets higher I'll be taking the wheels off and get the process started.

(Serial number, pictures of the existing axle, the shock mounting positions, and..??)

Thanks.

Ricky

p.s. As to opening the door I will see if I can weasel in from the electrical access panel on the street side, underneath the bed/couch. After this Arctic cold front passes over.

All we need is the trailer serial number.

Andy
Old 11-30-2006, 11:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
All we need is the trailer serial number.

Andy
Andy,

Your post #20 states " Serial numbers provide detail specifications, but not for the 66-67 and 68 Caravels."

Don't you need more information for roamingwesty's 1968 Caravel?

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:38 AM   #34
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Andy,

Your post #20 states " Serial numbers provide detail specifications, but not for the 66-67 and 68 Caravels."

Don't you need more information for roamingwesty's 1968 Caravel?

Bill
That issue for most part, has been resolved.

Andy
Old 11-30-2006, 11:47 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
During the return trip from San Felipe Mexico back to Flagstaff AZ this Thanksgiving weekend, our '68 Caravel developed some consistant brake drum noise. Sounded like a spring or some such rubbing the drum. The brake controller then became connected only intermittently, indicated by its LED display. We had to be home and made made our way carefully with no further problems - except that after we parked it and entered a few times to clean it, now the door won't open from the outside. A few searches led me to believe that the door issue could be just a symtom, pointing to the root cause of a worn-out original axle. This may be the time to replace it. I also worry about other problems I couldn't see with a newbie eye. It's probably time for a pro inspection to make sure all else, such as the frame, is intact and not damaged.

The info I gathered here in the past couple of days showed me 3 possible options with the hardware itself: Dexter, Axis or Herschen. I'm thinking Herschen for the stock compatibility, but would like to avoid the extra steps Clancy Boy had to take.

I'm ok with wrenching, having 4 old VWs to work on all the time; that's also where the habit came from to get the OG stuff as often as possible, or the closest to it.

Thanks.

Ricky

If you're looking for an easy exchange just remember - you are trying to replace an axle for a 38 year old trailer from a manufacturer that has been bought and sold twice to a trailer design that has been changed several times over the years (and sometimes in the same year) and has no modern variant with what has to be a one off production axle that is 90% correct for your application. Some modifications and adaptations should be and probably are required - just be prepared for it. The end result is you will be much happier you did the change and will end up with a road worthy trailer to enjoy for 40+ years to come.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
If you're looking for an easy exchange just remember - you are trying to replace an axle for a 38 year old trailer from a manufacturer that has been bought and sold twice to a trailer design that has been changed several times over the years (and sometimes in the same year) and has no modern variant with what has to be a one off production axle that is 90% correct for your application. Some modifications and adaptations should be and probably are required - just be prepared for it. The end result is you will be much happier you did the change and will end up with a road worthy trailer to enjoy for 40+ years to come.
Contrary to opinion, the new owners of Henschen, past or present, have not changed a single thing with respect to the manufacture of the torsion axles.

The retro fitting the new axles to the older trailers, is aboyt as simple as one can get.

Andy
Old 11-30-2006, 05:16 PM   #37
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Quote:
Contrary to opinion, the new owners of Henschen, past or present, have not changed a single thing with respect to the manufacture of the torsion axles.
Honestly, Andy, I don't know what that means. Do you mean Henschen users are happy and loyal to the brand name, or they don't need to tweak/drill/weld to fit?

Quote:
The retro fitting the new axles to the older trailers, is aboyt as simple as one can get.

Andy
From what I have read/was told, the Henschen axle manufacturer does not supply replacement axles with any tailoring for an EXACT fit to my '68 Caravel. By tailoring I mean the new axle's shock absorber brackets will ALWAYS come on the opposite side (for my Caravel)as opposed to where they were on the stock axle brackets, so the 'cut and weld' of the brackets, for my trailer at least, is unavoidable -- Even if I took so detailed pictures that I can see Jesus in brake dust, the pictures won't prevent me receiving a Henschen axle that needs cut & weld.

Is that a fact of life, Andy, that for Caravels, especially mine, the brackets will need to be fixed/repositioned if I wanted to put shocks back on? Others too might want to know how the replacement will fit their different vintage year trailers, but I need to know for my Caravel; I want to take everything into consideration. Please tell.

Also, the Henschen fitting problems for '66 to '68 Caravels, as you said earlier, have been mostly resolved. Would you mind telling me what were the problems resolved, and what remains unresolved?

I don't mind drilling holes to fit the new axle on, don't mind getting Henschens even if it's more expensive, and Henschen axles do have a great feedback from the threads I read so far. Just want to know all about it so I stand firm by my desicion is all.

Again, thank you.

Ricky
Old 11-30-2006, 05:35 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Seems high?

Quote:
I finally received an estimate for a new axle on my 68 Caravel. The estimate is for $1600. It is a single axle.

I found this shocking and appalling. Could this be accurate?

Geno
Geno,

Sounds a bit high - check:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...p-24964-2.html

Specifically post #12 - perhaps a PM to Mr. Crump is in order!

Just two cents from a retired axle dude,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 07:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Honestly, Andy, I don't know what that means. Do you mean Henschen users are happy and loyal to the brand name, or they don't need to tweak/drill/weld to fit?

Ricky

Ricky.

The 66-67 and 68 Caravels from Ohio and California, were if you wish, different in many ways.

Henschen builds axles to specs. Our specs, Airstream or whoever.

Henschen has no idea what axle will go on what coach when Airstream orders them.

The axle mounting issue for the 1968 and older trailers is caused by a change in 1969 of the mounting bracket.

We now ask, but only for the 66-67 and 68 Caravels, the shock position, since we now know that they varied considerably back then.

Other than that, drilling three 1/2 holes on each side takes care of the mounting. The alignment is automatic when the new axle is placed into position. Instructions are sent with each axle purchased for the 68 and older models regarding the new holes.

The shift from Henschen to Dexter was done by Thor, not Airstream. It was done because of internal silly differences, that have long been resolved.

The facts are that Henschen, this spring, will be the primary supplier of axles to Airstream, once again, especially on the larger models.

Airstream and Dexter do not have the congenial working relationship that one would think.

Word has it about a recall and product failures, as well.

As a dealer, we cannot spell out the existing problems. That, Airstream will do, in their usual moderated way, in due time.

For anyone on the outside to make guesses as to the cause of separation of Airstream and Henschen, is fool hardy at best.

There are a number of rumors being promoted, possibly to satisfy personal egos about the entire matter, of Airstream, Henschen and Dexter.

Most Airstream owners insist on replacing like for like, to keep their trailer in the Airstream family as much as possible.

There are many others who for their particular reasons, chose otherwise. Sometimes it's money and sometimes it's a "I will show you" kind of thing.

Airstreaming is a very large industry, and in time, it has gained many many different owners, with many different philosophies.

But the most important factor, is that the "way of life" continues on and on, and flourishes very well, since an agreeing as well as a non-agreeing owner, still make up the "family."

That family moreso than ever, travels the country, proudly towing their Airstream or Argosy, which keeps the Airstream image on the front line for the public at large to see.

That, makes Airstream happy.

And me too.

Andy
Old 12-01-2006, 11:52 AM   #40
aproned dad

1968 17' Caravel
Carmichael , California
Quote:
Ricky.

The 66-67 and 68 Caravels from Ohio and California, were if you wish, different in many ways.

Henschen builds axles to specs. Our specs, Airstream or whoever.

Henschen has no idea what axle will go on what coach when Airstream orders them.

The axle mounting issue for the 1968 and older trailers is caused by a change in 1969 of the mounting bracket.

We now ask, but only for the 66-67 and 68 Caravels, the shock position, since we now know that they varied considerably back then.

Other than that, drilling three 1/2 holes on each side takes care of the mounting. The alignment is automatic when the new axle is placed into position. Instructions are sent with each axle purchased for the 68 and older models regarding the new holes.
Why do I feel the loving and pitying gaze from the mother duck telling that odd duckling, "Sorry, you're just, um, special.."

Thank you Andy. I will ask whatever questions left (mostly regarding the shock brackets still) when I am ready to get on the horn. Our weather is turning for the better so I should find out after the weekend what's wrong and what fixes are necessary.

And to you folks east of me, stay warm.

Ricky

Tags
caravel