Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-01-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,284
Microwave / Aluminum Wiring

I am not very literate when it comes to electricity, but know that it needs to be respected.

I have a 1966 Safari with aluminum wiring. Can I safely add a microwave oven? If so, how many watts should I limit the microwave to? Any special location where I should plug it in etc.....

Your input/suggestions are definitely appreciated.

p.s....I don't want to replace the stove and oven. I like to use them too.
__________________

__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
Zeppelinium's Avatar

 
1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,908
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
A small microwave is usually 700-800 watts, so with some internal loss it probably requires about 1000 watts input. That's not a problem for your wire. aluminum wire fails (starts fires) because a non-AL socket has been installed and you get heat at the wire connection point on the socket.

If you're concerned about your wire, it's the connection points that are generally the problem. Take the cover plates off your receptacles and look at each screw terminal and the wire insulation close to it. Look for signs of elevated temperature (insulation burned/dicolored). There aren't a lot of connections in the Airstream made with wire nuts, but if you have a junction box, you should visually inspect those connections, too.

If you replace any wiring runs in the future, do not mix copper and AL wire in a circuit.

Zep
__________________

Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
centennialman's Avatar

 
2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 1,284
Thanks Zep!

I always enjoy reading your posts...

I am planning on removing the covers and checking the wires anyway. I want to put the "no-ox" stuff on the wires....figure it would be a good preventative maintenance thing to do.

I will take your advice and look for any signs of burning etc.... while I am in there.

I would like to have a small microwave for popcorn, quick heating of water etc... and am just making sure that I don't overload something.

I was shocked really bad once and have a fear/intense respect for electricity and always play it on the safe side.

Thanks Again!
__________________
Steve "Centennial Man"
centennialman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
microwave compared to a convection microwave. Happycampers Airstream Motorhome Forums 6 02-23-2016 11:58 PM
Aluminum wiring Tin Hut Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 6 12-16-2008 08:58 PM
Microwave? Devoman Our Community 5 03-16-2006 09:16 PM
Is House Wiring the same as Automotive Wiring? swebster Mechanics Corner - Engines, Transmission & More... 7 06-15-2004 07:11 AM
Aluminum wiring Tin Hut Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 3 09-12-2003 06:47 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.