Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Stoves, Ovens & Microwaves
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Microwave / Aluminum Wiring

I am not very literate when it comes to electricity, but know that it needs to be respected.

I have a 1966 Safari with aluminum wiring. Can I safely add a microwave oven? If so, how many watts should I limit the microwave to? Any special location where I should plug it in etc.....

Your input/suggestions are definitely appreciated.

p.s....I don't want to replace the stove and oven. I like to use them too.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
A small microwave is usually 700-800 watts, so with some internal loss it probably requires about 1000 watts input. That's not a problem for your wire. aluminum wire fails (starts fires) because a non-AL socket has been installed and you get heat at the wire connection point on the socket.

If you're concerned about your wire, it's the connection points that are generally the problem. Take the cover plates off your receptacles and look at each screw terminal and the wire insulation close to it. Look for signs of elevated temperature (insulation burned/dicolored). There aren't a lot of connections in the Airstream made with wire nuts, but if you have a junction box, you should visually inspect those connections, too.

If you replace any wiring runs in the future, do not mix copper and AL wire in a circuit.

Zep
Old 03-01-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Thanks Zep!

I always enjoy reading your posts...

I am planning on removing the covers and checking the wires anyway. I want to put the "no-ox" stuff on the wires....figure it would be a good preventative maintenance thing to do.

I will take your advice and look for any signs of burning etc.... while I am in there.

I would like to have a small microwave for popcorn, quick heating of water etc... and am just making sure that I don't overload something.

I was shocked really bad once and have a fear/intense respect for electricity and always play it on the safe side.

Thanks Again!