Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Microwave?

I was checking out some things to purchase for the airstream and was looking at the tupperware products.What does everyone here think about them.I have been told before that they are good products and would probably be really good using them in the Airstream as light weight as they are.
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/home
There is really cool stuff in here.I am relly liking the microwave items such as the steamer.
Thanks

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 06:32 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi devoman.....

enjoying that new unit i hope!

i like tware...but it is over priced....with so many alternatives now....

otoh they do make a wide variety of style and containers.......and lots of folks to buy from...

at home, i'm still trying to wear out the tware purchased in 1971......

my trailer hot box is the mwave/convection combo....

so i've tried to stick with products that can take some heat....

here is a thread on kitchen stuff......and lots of good ideas......

http://www.airforums.com/forum...chen-5410.html

did you ever see the tv show that did an episode on storing people in big tupperware containers......
it was strange......and cool.......burrrrrrrrrrp

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
IIRC, Tupperware has a lifetime warranty, so if you ever damage it you can get anothe piece for free. We have some in our coach, it works well in the microwave, but not so good in the oven (imagine that!). I am not sure if it is still being made, but you can get Corning Visions cookware that will work in the microwave and oven, and can be put in the freezer as well. It is made of Pyrex tempered glass, but it is very strong, I have only broken a small handfull of items in all the years I have used it. The main drawback is, since it is glass, it is heavy.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Tware

Hey thanks for the post.
As for the Airstream...I can not get enough of it.It will be a whole month it has been sitting without being moved and I am soooooo ready to go on another trip again.I will at least try to take it out at least once a month to keep the parts moving inside and out.

Right now though we are looking into making everything we do as easy as possible when cooking,storing things,putting in new shelves for the clothes in the cabinets,better shoe rack instead of the closet shoe organizer on the hanger,etc,etc,etc....
That is why I have been looking at the tupperware stuff.It is strong and will last a long time.Also it is lightweight and can be frozen and cooked with.I think I will be getting some of these things in the future before the end of the year gets here and we start traveling again.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
I've been told by a food chemist that food should never be heated in any kind of plastic and/or plastic wrap, at high temps chemicals leach out of the plastic and into the food.

I use pyrex.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
I was checking out some things to purchase for the airstream and was looking at the tupperware products.What does everyone here think about them.I have been told before that they are good products and would probably be really good using them in the Airstream as light weight as they are.
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/home
There is really cool stuff in here.I am relly liking the microwave items such as the steamer.
Thanks
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
_

. , .
devoman.....

does your unit have

a gas oven and microwave....
a microwave/convection combo.....
regular microwave only......

that is one of the issues in cook ware....

light weight, durable, multipurpose, in expensive, tossable and so on....

are some of the issues....

i like glass/pyrex....but it can break and it is heavier...
corelle has most of the same features but is lighter...
any of the plastic resin products from rubbermaid, tware and others,
will work but not in the oven or near fire, and are expensive...relatively

tware is lifetime....but with an older discontinued item....you get a discount...not a replacement...and stuff gets discontinued yearly....

many of the disposible 'wares' works great, are light, lasts a month/season...

plastic air tight containers like tware are ideal for storage of dry goods, dog food or other trailer items; they are great for storage......

but just ok for cooking....

here for example is a product that works in regular ovens, convection and microwaves, can be frozen, seals (but not zip tight) and is inexpensive enough to use for a season....and toss.

brands like zip lock, glad, rmaid...all make this stuff.....

http://www.glad.com/containers.html

scroll down to the ovenware......

since i cook outside/grill when ever possible i wanted something that would take being 'near' fire and not melt.......but if i beat it up.....it can be tossed....i'm never afraid to set this briefly on the grill (while filling) or near the coals, and it works great in a hot oven.........can't do that with tware

cheers
2air'
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote