Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
Our new Dometic fridge shuts off for 15 minutes when the TV engine is shut off. This is "to allow for refueling". Which would imply that Dometic expects the fridge to be on while traveling.
That sounds like a nice attempt at an automatic safety feature - and, no doubt, it would probably work about 99% of the time. There's just that one time when you have to pre-pay because the pump credit card function isn't working, you make a potty stop before returning to the vehicle, etc. and the 15-minute time-out expires! An unlikely scenario but I hate relying on mechanical/electronic safety devices to take over functions that I think I should perform myself. On the other hand, it's a great "back-up" feature for those times when we forget. I always travel with the frig on and, even though I run diesel, if I stop to refuel while towing I turn it off. My best day is one where I can find a diesel pump to fill up at after dropping the Airstream off at the campground! We often run less that 300 miles/day - which is an easy reach on a 34 gallon tank.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Video Link

For the request of the pump fire video, I don't know how to post a link. If you go to Youtube & seach gas pump static fire, it will come up first. There is more than 1 video listed there. The first video is not graphic, but it gets the point across. I haven't watched any of the other videos.
Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:10 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
We have always run with the propane on in our 40 years with RV's.. Since we are also boondockers we operate the fridge on propane almost all the time.. We never have had problems with the fridge and the one in this trailer is probably at least 30 years old.
Certainly it is a good idea to shut it off when fueling near a gas pump on a windless day. I usually fuel at truck pumps that are diesel only
Most of these refrigerators are struggling to keep up in 100 degree weather and if driving long days I wouldn't want to depend on mine to preserve my food for 12 or 14 hours of off time.

I have personally only seen one case of a fire at a gas pump (after it happened)and my understanding it was the water heater pilot which was responsible. That was at a flying J in Wytheville, Va quite a few years ago

I am sure it happens from time to time but is probably a lesser risk than many other things we do
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:26 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Dog Nite View Post
For the request of the pump fire video, I don't know how to post a link. If you go to Youtube & seach gas pump static fire, it will come up first. There is more than 1 video listed there. The first video is not graphic, but it gets the point across. I haven't watched any of the other videos.
Ricky
I saw the video but missed "the point." I thought we were talking about fires caused by leaving the refrigerator running. The first woman was lucky but I doubt that even if she had a trailer attached, it would have caught fire in this case.

So, show me one single case where a running refrigerator broke into flame while at a refueling stop. Sure, it "could" happen but so could a meteor strike happen, or a lightning bolt hit. I think this falls in with talking on a cell phone concerns.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Here are some examples of gas station fires. In one case the guy tried to refuel a aux. gas can in the bed of his truck, but it was a METAL one, not plastic.

The other two involved static electricity and women---usually those who return to their cars to replace their credit cards of check on the kids, etc.

The occurrences are not common. However.....the issue focuses on awareness of the danger and to not take chances......I've seen enough badly burned people in my lifetime, and it is not a pretty situation.....

Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Thanks for the posts. More to think about.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Maybe Im cheap but I just freeze several 2 litre bottles and put them in the freezer and refrigerator. Has worked for 12 hour trips in 90 degree weather. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
My last RV was a "B" motorhome. I always towed with the refrigerator on gas. I'd start it up the day before leaving town and I turned it off when we unpacked when we got back home. That's how I did it with both my motorhomes.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
Maybe Im cheap but I just freeze several 2 litre bottles and put them in the freezer and refrigerator. Has worked for 12 hour trips in 90 degree weather. Sal.
A good idea. In our case we have a small fridge with a weeks worth of food and don't have the room. Maybe we could try a frozen roast and schedule it for dinner when it thaws
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #30
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
We tow with the gas off. We are just paranoid I suppose but also we have found that once we put all of our food in the fridge and leave it turned on overnight -- the fridge turns into a cooler of sorts when we are towing and keeps the food relatively cool.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
We just got back from our first weekend out in our AS. We towed with the refrigerator running on propane and had no problems what so ever. Since this was a short distance trip we didn't need to refuel. I presume that when we do need to refuel on a longer trip we just turn off the propane, fill up, pull away from the gas pumps, then turn the propane back on and the pilot light on the refrigerator will just relight. Thanks for all of the great advice and comments.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #32
What's a rivet?

2008 23' International CCD
Napa , California
Never been a problem in almost 15,000 miles towing.
SilverBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:04 PM   #33
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
As can be seen in the chart in the link below, in Canada, only the Province of Newfoundland does not allow travel with the propane on.
All propane must be turned off before refueling, or entering a closed structure. ie ferry, shop, etc.
http://www.rvhotlinecanada.com/RV-Re...c=rv-resources
Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:22 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
My fridge stays on. A multitude of food born illnesses can result from storing perishable food at improper temperature (above 40 degrees) ... especially when temperatures exceed 40 degrees for more than one to two hours.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:31 AM   #35
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Perhaps I missed a post here that expressed concern about having an open LP gas container should a mishap (i.e., wreck) occur while towing.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
Certainly that is a concern,, But so is having a tank of gasoline on your vehicle. There are certain risks in life and one just has to decide which are acceptable
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #37
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Lynn might weigh in on this to confirm or dis-confirm, but I think I read the newer valves have check valves that shut down flow in the event of a line rupture.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCR View Post
Perhaps I missed a post here that expressed concern about having an open LP gas container should a mishap (i.e., wreck) occur while towing.
The biggest concern is an accident which would result in a fire igniting the propane sources: i.e. the AS propene tanks. A propane fire burns at an impressive >2000 degrees F or so....a friend of mine is a firefighter and he lost his entire home to a barbecue fire from a malfunctioning tank.....not pretty.

The other danger is igniting gasoline fumes at a filling station if you have your refer on LP; even if you fill with diesel, the propane fed ignition in the refer might ignite nearby fumes from another pump. The risk is low, but it can happen. See the previous posts (page #1 ) regarding gas station fires.

We simply keep the propane on while traveling.....it is a risk but minimal...however we stop before entering a gas station, enter the unit, tap the "off" button on the refer, refuel, and on exit from the station, reenter the AS, tap the "on" button, and off we go......perhaps a little hassle, but not really significant, since we can grab a snack and check on the interior of the AS.

With age, I have become less "bullet proof", and less "invincible" compared to my younger days!
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
In the 28 years I've towed Airstreams I've always towed "on" with no problem. My Limited has the automatic "off" feature and my TV is a diesel so that may add a degree of safety. Can't fault those who err on the side of caution though.

Gene
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #40
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
Smile Referigerator while driving

Let me try to explain in layman terms.
Any explosion or fire only happen to the air/fuel mixture when the ignition source is available. However, air fuel mixture can only burn within the LEL (low explosion limit) and HEL (high explosion limit). What that mean if the mixture is too rich with fuel or too lean with air it will not ignite. The probability of having the correct air fuel ratio next to the refrigerator flame is exptremely low.
After said that, it is upto the folks to decide. I never turn off my refrigerator, even when refueling the TV.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote