Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2015, 09:34 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Fridge vent ideas

We are restoring our '67 caravel and it has had new interior skins installed. With the trailer came lots of new parts, one of which is the fridge vent. Unfortunately, the curvature of the vent does not match the curvature of the trailer wall. It is a fiberglass piece, so I don't think it can be re shaped at all...need ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
lewishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Probably a new one with the correct curvature is the solution, then sell the one you have on the classified section of the forums.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
This a side vent or a lower vent? Not much info to go on. I think the older trailers had a vent through the bottom and then one on top and maybe an access vent on the side for maintenance. Newer trailers like mine draw air in through the side access hatch.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
This is the vent that goes along the wall of the trailer and vents on the roof, and the PO was the one that ordered it for this trailer so I'm worried a new one will be exactly the same. How important is the roof vent if the side vent breathes well?

lewishw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The fridge vent system is like a chimney. Air for cooling and combustion comes in through the bottom and out the top. With no top vent, all the fumes and potentially carbon monoxide will build up in the trailer. Mine has an inner oblong piece that rivets or screws to the roof and then a cap over that. Photos would help us understand.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewishw View Post
This is the vent that goes along the wall of the trailer and vents on the roof, and the PO was the one that ordered it for this trailer so I'm worried a new one will be exactly the same. How important is the roof vent if the side vent breathes well?
The PO may not have ordered the right vent or was sent the wrong one and didn't realize it.

The vent is necessary for proper operation of the refrigerator, safety and cooling both.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:05 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1966 24' Tradewind
Franklin , North Carolina
[QUOTE=lewishw;1701159]We are restoring our '67 caravel and it has had new interior skins installed. With the trailer came lots of new parts, one of which is the fridge vent. Unfortunately, the curvature of the vent does not match the curvature of the trailer wall. It is a fiberglass piece, so I don't think it can be re shaped at all...need ideas!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
geodazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 09:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
1966 24' Tradewind
Franklin , North Carolina
Fridge vent ideas

Quote:
We are restoring our '67 caravel and it has had new interior skins installed. With the trailer came lots of new parts, one of which is the fridge vent. Unfortunately, the curvature of the vent does not match the curvature of the trailer wall. It is a fiberglass piece, so I don't think it can be re shaped at all...need ideas!

Just installed fiberglass refrigerator vent in 1966 tradewind during frame off restoration. Purchased it from inland rv last year. It is longer than original plastic one and allowed me to reposition a little to conform with new interior skin. Drilling and using cliquos pulled new aluminum skin closer to fiberglass vent. Then i riveted. I had almost no gap.
geodazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I've read on here where others have had the same trouble with gaps on the fiberglass replacements.
I think Vintage Trailer Supply has them now but made from thicker plastic.
For my 67 Caravel have started making one out of aluminum.
The idea comes from Zepplinium on these forums. Look at his posts and you will see how he did it.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

Vented mine out the bottom only, works perfectly.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...-38289-56.html
post #777 and #795 #800

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:07 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Since hot air rises I am not sure how the bottom vent system works. Unless it is a forced air system ie fans.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Since hot air rises I am not sure how the bottom vent system works. Unless it is a forced air system ie fans.

Sent from my iPod touch using Airstream Forums
Yes, it's a forced air systems, has worked perfectly for 4 years, I have no heat build up. The 2 Fans are switched, and have a rating of 50,000 hours, same type of fans used in a computer.

toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote