Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Refrigerators
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
How do I properly cool fridge when parked in driveway?

Okay, here's a question for everyone out there. We live in suburbia, and have your typical tract-home driveway where our AS is parked. This said driveway is approximately 40' long, and our AS is a 27'er. Once we get'er backed up the drive, there's a snowflake's chance in hell that we'll ever get it level. She's a tandem-axel trailer, and we'd have to jack up the tongue so high that I think that only a single axle (i.e. rear one) would be on the ground.

I've thought about trying to create some sort of "platform" to drive the front wheels onto once I'm on the drive to try and at least approximate level, but I would then have to be able to back it up and such to get off of it, and this would just make it to where I have to pull it closer to the road. This driveway is a compound incline, so it's steeper within the first 5 feet, then levels to a less steep incline (which makes the height that I would have to jack the tongue up even higher).

Anyway, long story short, there's no way for us to fire-up the fridge the night before to get it cold enough before a trip. Anyone have any suggestions that I haven't thought of?

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi Shawn..

Any pictures of what the airstream looks like in your driveway? Maybe someone will have a solution.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
freeze blocks of ice in your house fridge and transfer them an hour before you load the food and go. light the fridge when you get to level ground. the freezer in my trailer gets to refrigerator temp fairly quickly.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Here's the best pic that I can come up with (of course photos never do it justice):
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0052.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	110655

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The correct answer is: well you're just going to have to level the trailer anyway and here's how.

Get thee a set of the orange Lynx lego-like leveling blocks.

Get thee an adjustable jack stand from the cheap place, say, Northern or Harbor Freight.

Back the trailer within 1' of its designated spot, and put some Lynx blocks between the tandems, and then back it up some more, so that the front wheels of the tandem are up on one or two Lynx blocks. Chock as necessary for safety.

Raise the tongue using the jack. When the jack's travel limit is reached, lower the tongue onto the jackstand, raise the foot of the tongue jack, put blocking under it (not the Lynx blocks, they don't withstand a point load like that), and raise it again. Repeat as necessary until the trailer is level.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:09 PM   #6
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Oh thats not bad.. Lock those wheels like you've done and crank that baby up. Maybe you can leave the bars attached and everything plugged into the truck and just lift it off the hitch ball until its level. When you're ready to go in the morning just lower it back down and go. Are you worried about the extra load on the rear axle? Maybe then you could drive up on a 2x4 on the front wheels so there is some load distribution?

Vin

Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
HEY OKC! Great town man. I got a sister that lives in Guthrie or in between Edmond and Guthrie. Please be careful 'perching' your home. I bet someone has mentioned just simply putting a container of dry ice in the compartments over night...I bet that will cool the h.......HECK out of em for your trips. Don't jeopardize in the driveways' incline. Bill
Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Raise the tongue using the jack. When the jack's travel limit is reached, lower the tongue onto the jackstand, raise the foot of the tongue jack, put blocking under it (not the Lynx blocks, they don't withstand a point load like that), and raise it again. Repeat as necessary until the trailer is level.
Do the jack stands work on an incline -- the pic doesn't show it very well, but at the bottom of my drive, it's a decent incline. Wouldn't the jackstand "lean" in the direction of the incline? Wouldn't have I have to create a ramp/platform for the jackstand to sit on?

Old 09-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #9
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It could be worse...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	steep driveway.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	110713  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It could be worse...
That's ridiculous! What were they thinking???
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Maybe they think everyone drives one of these..
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Two things come to mind:

Have you tried the fridge to be sure it won't run at that angle? I think it would.

If it won't, park the trailer on the street the night before you leave.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
It could be worse...
That has to be photoshopped.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Quote:
Have you tried the fridge to be sure it won't run at that angle? I think it would.
I'm actually a bit scared, as Andy has said over and over again that it has to be level, and I just don't want to mess it up.

Quote:
If it won't, park the trailer on the street the night before you leave.
Yeah, I would absolutely love to, but we're on a cul-de-sac, so I physically can't unless I want to block a drive or store it a few blocks from the house.

Old 09-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #15
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Heck, I've camped in spots worse than that. Puts some levelers under the front axle and some blocks under the jack and crank it best you can. You only need a few hours to get the fridge cooled down.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by exthemius View Post
I'm actually a bit scared, as Andy has said over and over again that it has to be level, and I just don't want to mess it up.

Yeah, I would absolutely love to, but we're on a cul-de-sac, so I physically can't unless I want to block a drive or store it a few blocks from the house.
Can you block your own driveway, or is your lot too narrow in the front?

I am on my third travel trailer and have parked on a lot steeper places than your drive way and never messed up a refrigerator.
I am thinking the worse outcome would be that it would not function correctly, but someone correct me if that is wrong.

Hope you find an answer.

Ken
Old 09-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #17
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Yeah, it's too narrow on the front (the property is pie-shaped). I think that I'm going to keep a few 3/4 filled gallon water containers in the freezer, throw them in the AS a few hours before we leave, and just light it when we pull outta the drive. The photo is a bit off because I know that the camera was tilted slightly (judging by the fact that the house is not vertical), but in person (and in the AS, for that matter) the incline is pretty jarring.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
If you can still see light under the back you still have a few inches to crank the front. Instead of 2x4 under tongue use a solid 4 in block.
If you put an indoor outdoor thermometer in the frig you can monitor temp of coils and know if the system is working, Andy probably was referring to turning it on and forgetting to monitor, gas refrigerators have improved a lot from the originals. I have seen a lot of cg paved or gravel sites with a lot more incline. I have been known to kick out a couple of inches to improve level, and kicking back on leaving. Hard to do on concrete;>0
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Block/chock the wheels and crank it up to level. You're not going to hurt the axle unless you store it long term like that; overnight is fine. As stated above, I've been in sites worse than your drive. Heck, because of the length of my trailer, my drive is worse than yours. My tongue jack is almost fully extended and the rear bumper is about 4" off the ground in my drive. I use one of those "between the wheels chock thingies" (name escapes me right now) and the whole thing is really stable. Wouldn't ever work under it like that, but for loading and unloading and fridge cooling, etc.....no problem.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 05:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Just bite the bullet and move to a house with an Airstream friendly driveway.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote