Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2004, 08:22 PM   #1

1970 23' Safari - Dometic Fridge Replacement

Hi Folks,

I am looking for your expertise on Airstream Trailers. My wife and I are in the midst of restoring a 1970 Safari 23' single axle (I think all 23' have a single axle?). So far we are having a blast... refinishing the woodwork, correcting some of the wiring, new TV, etc....

The Dometic Refridgerator is in need of either replacement or major fixing. The unit works well as far as keeping things cold, however, the door is becoming very flimsy and the inside of the door is cracked. This does not allow the door to seal properly.

Can the door be replaced by itself? Does anyone have one out there? Measurements are 22"x40" approx.

Thanks for your help,

Jeff and Betty Ann DeVries
Ontario, Canada
JayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:44 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

if the fridge keeps things cold then you wanna keep it in the trailer. As the door bolts/ screws on and off you can easily replace it; Rv junk yards would be your best bet, because other campers use roughly the same type of fridges.
should not be a big deal, but you should not pay a lot for one. you might even venture to a refrigerator repair warehouse with the old door to see if they have a dorm fridge door that matches.
eaglerab is offline   Reply With Quote