Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2003, 02:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Dometic Fridge door.

The plastic hinge on the door of my 99 Safari's Dometic fridge broke.....I found the door on the trailer floor when I went to check on it in the storage lot.

Anyway Dometic is sending me a complimentry repair kit.... suggesting to me that this failure is not all that uncommon.

My question is, has anyone had experience with A Dometic hinge repair kit?
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 03:06 PM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
no experience w/ the repair kit...but I have noticed that the handle is rather flimsy on mine, and it has come apart in my hand before. the hinge pin would just fall out onto the floor. I kept putting it back together, and it would fall out again eventually.

a buddy suggested that I put it back in the other way around, so I did, and it hasn't fallen apart since.

(trailer is "vintage", but the fridge is nearly new...probably 2000 or 2001).

I wonder if Dog-matic has any of those coordinating door panels in "early-70's-brady-bunch-walnut-fake-woodgrain-panneling".....that would be cool.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I am the owner of a 1995 Excella 1000 30 footer. The Dometic Model RM3807 door came off in my wife's hand and she caught it and held it until I could grab it. The bad part of this experience is that she had just had multiple surgeries.

I have owned Airstreams since the early 70's, my first being a 1966 30 foot Overlander. The design of the Dometic doors hinge pin holes are pathetic. Dometics does not have replacement doors for the RM3807. Their fix is a joke, I have their sheet metal brace. I was going to reinforce their fix with epoxy and remachine the pin holes. It was either that or get a new refrigerator. Other than the weak door pin holes, the refrigerator/freezer works fine and after all these years I know how to service them. As I recall, their current refrigerator pin holes are just as bad.

Today I went to assist a neighbor with their new to them, older 70's motorhome. While working on their furnace, I noticed their old Dometic Refrigerator. I never had a problem with the old metal, aluminum, framed doors falling off. I believe I can rebuild the doors to match the quality and strenght of the old models.

I will go to trailer tonight, and do some meaurements. If their is enough clearance, I think I can fabricate a simple and permanent fix.

I will keep you informed.

This is my first post. I have spent most of my time here reviewing all the good information available. With an open mind, you can learn anything as long as it doesnot fall out the other side.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 PM   #4

1994 30' Excella
Canyon , Texas
The door on my 1994 30 ft Excella just fell off when I opened it. The upper plastic hinge failed on the large door.
This seems like very poor design.
Its good to know that this is a problem that others are having, but the solution that dometic has seems has bad as the design.
transcon is offline   Reply With Quote