Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I would simply say that the odds are not in your favor. Sort of a Hunger Games thing....

Someone mentioned the simple fact that most RVs that are parked long time in an RV community are owned by seniors, at least those over 55. Finding a place that you describe would be difficult. I personally will go out of my way to avoid age restricted businesses. I am not a fan of communities with covenants either but that is another topic.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Almost all of the rv parks I stay in don't have a senior rule.
Most of the young families/singles living in these parks have been east coast journeyman level IBEW linemen out here on the west coast looking for work. I've even bumped into the same families in different towns.

Old 12-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Northern Illinois , Illinois
I knew I was getting older about 35 years ago when I heard two 12 year olds say to each other "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings?"

I was in my late twenties at the time.

There are two aspects to age - mental perspective and physical. You can control the mental perspective; no matter how hard you try you cannot control the physical.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab CTD

AIR #7317 WBCCI #1772 TAC-IL 1
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
I knew I was getting older about 35 years ago when I heard two 12 year olds say to each other "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings?"

I was in my late twenties at the time.

There are two aspects to age - mental perspective and physical. You can control the mental perspective; no matter how hard you try you cannot control the physical.
I finally had to start thinking of myself as old half-a-dozen years ago, when my office hired a new engineer, a college graduate, who was born AFTER I started working there. When you can say, "I've been doing this since before you were born, sonny," and MEAN it, that's an old-person thing!
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've stayed overnight at a lot of RV parks in western states with younger people who are not on a short-term holiday-- but these are RV parks with a percentage of permanent residents who appear to have found a cheaper solution to housing expenses while they work-- or look for work.

One would be the Aspen-Basalt Campground in Colorado, probably because housing around Aspen is so expensive that the school district has to subsidize housing for its teachers. We've stayed there twice visiting family, and while the park was fine, some of the campsite occupants looked a little down on their luck. My vote otherwise would be to wait till summer and stay at the USFS CGs in the area, if you didn't need to be so close to town and like boondocking.

One of the saddest experiences was at a KOA at Rock Springs, Wyoming, where, just after an early blizzard, there were a couple of sites occupied by tents. And no, the occupants were not the back-packy types.

I don't wish to take anything away from these good people, but just to say that there is a reason for families to stay at RV parks in the off-season, and it isn't recreation.

One of the state parks we've found with huge numbers of families and children was Priest Lake in Idaho during the summer.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We thought about this when researching our 'retirement'. A couple DECADES ago, my bride and I would sorta joke about retiring, traveling, and calling our kids to forward our mail to a future destination....

We learned there were places these days which would not allow 'over 10 year old units' into their place. So we are not feeling the love about that... now we are investigating "Airstream Exclusive" locales...

If y'all want a party, start a 'rally'... always works for us... at least you can generally pick your friends...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1999 34' Excella
NE Central , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
....We learned there were places these days which would not allow 'over 10 year old units' into their place. So we are not feeling the love about that... now we are investigating "Airstream Exclusive" locales...If y'all want a party, start a 'rally'... always works for us... at least you can generally pick your friends...
Channing, the only outward difference from your '99 to the 2011 model '34 is the pinstripe...they won't know the difference.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Riverview , Florida
There is Silver Palms RV Village (www.silverpalmsrv.com) in Okeechobee, FL that is new and beautiful! They specifically address welcoming the younger retirees. Children are also welcome . . . to VISIT. Lot ownership and rental possibilities exist at this facility.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:33 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
We made an interesting discovery while in our forties. It was way more fun hanging out with those older than us than those younger. Just sayin!
Our family & friends think we're crazy, but this is why we are looking into moving INTO an RV retirement community! We joke that we're "wise beyond our years" and for the record.... Most of your 55+ parks will be more than happy to grant you "access" as long as your gainfully employed and have no kids living WITH you!
The wife and I spent a week down in Tucson in November touring every RV park we could find,researching our upcoming relocation. We found that the larger senior communities are NOT just filled with a bunch of "old foogies", rotting the rest of their lives away in the sun. These people are on the go!
While we didn't see a bunch of people our age ( mid 40's) there were some, and like us, still plugging away towards "retirement"!
There were only a small handfull of these communities that adhere to the 55+ policy, the ones that did were all a little "high & mighty" for us anyways!

Old 12-10-2013, 08:08 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My grandfather always told us that you're not old until you stop seeking new experiences. By that definition, I doubt any of you qualify.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:30 PM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
Does anyone know of any RV parks that cater to a younger crowd? Seems that all the RV parks I've come across are geared for retirees, or at least folks over 50. Campground tend to be more multi-generational, but many don't offer the long-term RV lifestyle experience I'm longing for. Where are the RV communities for the 30-somethings?
You bet!

There’s all sorts of “RV Parks” in south and west Texas that cater to the younger crowd. Of course, these are the oil field boys, roughnecks and such.

And uh... calling them a “park” is a real stretch of the imagination...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Granted, there are a lot of 50+ and 55+ RV parks out there, but it seems to me that there are plenty of RV Parks without such restrictions that offer long-term situations. That said, I have never seen a park that is restricted to residents under a certain age. Personally, I believe living situations that include all age groups and stages of life are the best and most "healthy" ones ... where younger people, middle ages and older people value each other. Agism can be a very limiting thing.
I agree with this. I tend to hang with people from their 20s to their 70s (really), and each are fun, each can be wild and party, each offer different things. While I can rock out on Rock Band with the younger set, I can enjoy wine dinners, resorts, and European travel with the older group (more money, more time). As a sailor/kayaker/paddle boarder, I exercise with the same wide range of ages.

I find that I connect with people not based on age, but on interests and lifestyle. Honestly, the middle group (30s with young kids) is where I have the least friends, simply because of time, I suppose - my kids are 16 and can stay home alone if we want a week's vacation (or a weekend, or an evening) without them for whatever reason. The dog, now, she goes everywhere.
DianePhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Snob View Post
My wife and I have traveled the country many times over and parts of the world as well as serious age group athletes. We made an interesting discovery while in our forties. It was way more fun hanging out with those older than us than those younger. Just sayin!

Ain't it the truth.

Even when we were in the age group mentioned, we, with intent and forethought, chose a no children lifestyle. It was and remains the correct choice for us.

That choice lead us to the same discovery.

I expect the market share of 20-30 year olds that would choose the live a more freewheeling life style in a rv would be to small to count.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote