Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Where are the RV parks for the Under 50 crowd?

Does anyone know of any RV parks that cater to a younger crowd? Seems that all the RV parks I've come across are geared for retirees, or at least folks over 50. Campground tend to be more multi-generational, but many don't offer the long-term RV lifestyle experience I'm longing for. Where are the RV communities for the 30-somethings?
VtTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
I've never seen one. What sort of amenities or facilities would you be looking for?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
In housing it is illegal to restrict under 55 but legal to restrict over 55. I would guess vacation rentals are the same. I would look at campgrounds with playgrounds, pools maybe even a kid program counsler. Those will tend to attract more families. KOA seem very kid friendly.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
After rereading I see you did not mention families. I overlayed what I am looking for in your question I guess. But if you see a 35 and under rv park it will most certainly be illegal.
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:12 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Yes, and you DON'T want to get charged with Illicit Camping!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Simple fact of life, more older people have the time, and the disposable income, to go RVing than do younger people, who— if they camp at all— are more often tent camping due to the lower expense and the fact that they're young enough and healthy enough to not mind sleeping on the ground.

But if you want to find a campground for younger campers, read the reviews, and then pick the one that has the most complaints about noisy neighbors. In my experience at campgrounds for all ages (state parks are good examples), it's usually the younger crowd that makes the most noise while having fun. Though admittedly the older crowd at some Airstream rallies can get quite loud, too; it's just that there, no one is complaining, because anyone who can hear the noise is invited to the party!

But seriously, there ARE some "couples-only" campgrounds, some "singles-only," some "seniors-only," and some "adult-only" campgrounds, and of course plenty of summer camps that are "children-only" (aside from the staff, of couse). But the 18-to-35 demographic is about the only one that doesn't have an "only" attached to it. Possibly because that's the one demograhic that has NO definable common interests that can be catered to.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Campgrounds aren't the problem. Many, if not most, of them appeal to all ages. It's the more permanent RV living resorts that I want. Something similar to a condo complex only filled with RVs rather than glorified apartments. A friend of mine lives in a gated community in Rhode Island that restricts it's residents to people under 60 years of age and he loves it. Lots of young people to socialize with and such.

I'm not looking for a dorm-like atmosphere. Just a village of RVs rather than houses with a cross section of people rather than a nearly exclusively 50+ population.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Yes, and you DON'T want to get charged with Illicit Camping!
LOL. I hate when that happens.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:13 PM   #9

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
Campgrounds aren't the problem. Many, if not most, of them appeal to all ages. It's the more permanent RV living resorts that I want. Something similar to a condo complex only filled with RVs rather than glorified apartments. A friend of mine lives in a gated community in Rhode Island that restricts it's residents to people under 60 years of age and he loves it. Lots of young people to socialize with and such.

I'm not looking for a dorm-like atmosphere. Just a village of RVs rather than houses with a cross section of people rather than a nearly exclusively 50+ population.
What happens to people on their 60th birthday at this community in RI? Is it a Logan's Run kinda thing?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
What happens to people on their 60th birthday at this community in RI? Is it a Logan's Run kinda thing?

I wouldn't know. Logan's Run is a little before my time. But my Argosy is from the same year. :-)
Old 12-06-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by VtTim View Post
I wouldn't know. Logan's Run is a little before my time. But my Argosy is from the same year. :-)
That made me feel really old and I'm only 50!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Granted, there are a lot of 50+ and 55+ RV parks out there, but it seems to me that there are plenty of RV Parks without such restrictions that offer long-term situations. That said, I have never seen a park that is restricted to residents under a certain age. Personally, I believe living situations that include all age groups and stages of life are the best and most "healthy" ones ... where younger people, middle ages and older people value each other. Agism can be a very limiting thing.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
That made me feel really old and I'm only 50!
Right there with ya man... I was like, "Cool movie!" until Junior chimed back in. Now my rheumatism seems to be flaring up...

-Old Red
Old 12-09-2013, 04:10 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
1966 26' Overlander
Wainscott , The Hamptons, Long Island
My wife and I have traveled the country many times over and parts of the world as well as serious age group athletes. We made an interesting discovery while in our forties. It was way more fun hanging out with those older than us than those younger. Just sayin!
Beer Snob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I would simply say that the odds are not in your favor. Sort of a Hunger Games thing....

Someone mentioned the simple fact that most RVs that are parked long time in an RV community are owned by seniors, at least those over 55. Finding a place that you describe would be difficult. I personally will go out of my way to avoid age restricted businesses. I am not a fan of communities with covenants either but that is another topic.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Almost all of the rv parks I stay in don't have a senior rule.
Most of the young families/singles living in these parks have been east coast journeyman level IBEW linemen out here on the west coast looking for work. I've even bumped into the same families in different towns.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Central Florida , Florida
I knew I was getting older about 35 years ago when I heard two 12 year olds say to each other "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings?"

I was in my late twenties at the time.

There are two aspects to age - mental perspective and physical. You can control the mental perspective; no matter how hard you try you cannot control the physical.

2008 Classic 34
Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab CTD
Air Apparent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Apparent View Post
I knew I was getting older about 35 years ago when I heard two 12 year olds say to each other "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a group before Wings?"

I was in my late twenties at the time.

There are two aspects to age - mental perspective and physical. You can control the mental perspective; no matter how hard you try you cannot control the physical.
I finally had to start thinking of myself as old half-a-dozen years ago, when my office hired a new engineer, a college graduate, who was born AFTER I started working there. When you can say, "I've been doing this since before you were born, sonny," and MEAN it, that's an old-person thing!
Old 12-09-2013, 11:34 AM   #19
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We've stayed overnight at a lot of RV parks in western states with younger people who are not on a short-term holiday-- but these are RV parks with a percentage of permanent residents who appear to have found a cheaper solution to housing expenses while they work-- or look for work.

One would be the Aspen-Basalt Campground in Colorado, probably because housing around Aspen is so expensive that the school district has to subsidize housing for its teachers. We've stayed there twice visiting family, and while the park was fine, some of the campsite occupants looked a little down on their luck. My vote otherwise would be to wait till summer and stay at the USFS CGs in the area, if you didn't need to be so close to town and like boondocking.

One of the saddest experiences was at a KOA at Rock Springs, Wyoming, where, just after an early blizzard, there were a couple of sites occupied by tents. And no, the occupants were not the back-packy types.

I don't wish to take anything away from these good people, but just to say that there is a reason for families to stay at RV parks in the off-season, and it isn't recreation.

One of the state parks we've found with huge numbers of families and children was Priest Lake in Idaho during the summer.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:19 PM   #20
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
We thought about this when researching our 'retirement'. A couple DECADES ago, my bride and I would sorta joke about retiring, traveling, and calling our kids to forward our mail to a future destination....

We learned there were places these days which would not allow 'over 10 year old units' into their place. So we are not feeling the love about that... now we are investigating "Airstream Exclusive" locales...

If y'all want a party, start a 'rally'... always works for us... at least you can generally pick your friends...
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote