Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #1
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
What an adventure! Evacuated the 2nd night in our AS

Well, we finally got our new-to-us Airstream out of the driveway. Towed it up to Ft. Bragg, CA without accident, scrapes, or damage! Spent a delightful day with our daughter and her new baby, and a delightful first night in the trailer!

Then, at 5:00 AM the second night on board- we got evacuated because of the tsunami warning that was to hit our low lying marina RV park. The truck was up at our daughter's house, and she was there in 15 minutes (with baby on board).

So, for the second time I ever rigged up, I got the AS hitched and up to high ground in 20 minutes. Without coffee. We will always remember our first trip....

Turns out we could have left the trailer, but surges did come up the marina and wrecked docks, some small boats, and our peace of mind...
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Wow Don..

Thats quite a first outing. Normally we dont have to worry about tsunami warnings.
Glad you were able to hitch up and move out again. Its good practice. Hope to see you guys at a rally soon.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Well now, "I had to evacuate because of a tsunami!" is not an Airstream story you hear very everyday.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It sounds like you have a name for your new Airstream..."Tsunami Warning"
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #5
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Reposted from http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161/amazing-74958.html

We pulled into Pismo Beach, CA thursday evening for me to attend a work related meeting friday. Awoke around 4:45am by campground security to let us know about the quake and a possible tsunami here (we're a few hundred yards from the beach), ETA around 8am. While watching how things played out in Hawaii, we got the mandatory evacuation order at 5:15am. Smoothly and orderly, dozens of RV's left the park.

After relocating the wife & airstream to (much) higher ground, and the expected worst came and went, several coworkers and I decided to attend the nearby meeting. A fellow Airstreamer (and airforums member) located right here in the Pismo Beach/Arroyo Grande area was seeking out Airstreams in the designated Red Cross relocation areas and found my wife watching the news, waiting for the all clear. He was making the rounds offering help and courtesy parking. Thank you Nate!

We returned to the campground in the afternoon and this area had no damage or injury, but a just north of us was hit harder. Our hearts go out to all that have lost so much in this disaster.
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Crazy Montanan in Texas

Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
It sounds like you have a name for your new Airstream..."Tsunami Warning"
That is funny, and right on!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
DJW. totally amazing! We stayed in the Pomo rv park a few months ago and that one would have been pretty safe, at the top of the road next to the main drag. Its a good exercise to pull the trailer out, next time will seem like a breeze.
We'll be at Casini Ranch in April right next to Russian River and your experience changes my attitude: I'll keep a mental plan to be ready to take off ASAP if needed: I'll keep my dolly hooked up & we'll just drive the moho & the toad--we'll be right in front of Vinnie (Airslide) on the way out.
TerraYacht is offline   Reply With Quote