Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-02-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
A Newbie and Her 'Fly at Night!'

THE TRAILERITE:
- Canadian woman
- vintage aviation geek, and interested in nostalgia in general
- easily seduced by the spirit of adventure
- decided she needed a new box spring and mattress and found one (that just happened to be encased by an Airstream trailer). The bed was comfortable and it kinda reminded her of an airplane, so what the heck?
- doesn't have a clue about trailering, but she has learned one thing so far: "dry camping" does not mean the closest liquor store is 100 miles away.

THE TRAILER
- 2010 27' Flying Cloud christened the "Fly at Night" or "her."
- her rivets get a little rattled when a certain F150 truck driven by a certain newbie starts backing up towards her. The newbie claims to be "practicing" and is getting better at it. After the last practice, the truck was only 11 feet away from the hitch instead of 23 1/2 feet.
- the newbie hasn't taken said trailer anywhere yet. The "Fly at Night"
could be considered an expensive driveway ornament (so far).
- why did the newbie name her the "Fly at Night?" No prurient intent was meant - honest! The newbie was merely sublimating her dreams of flight that never quite got off the ground.
- the newbie is excited about dressing-up the "Fly at Night" in a vintage aviation theme and has been rushing around picking out airplane pillows, china, etc. The newbie isn't sure how to turn the stove on but this is typical behaviour for the newbie.
- oh.....almost forgot one other thing. The bed is comfortable!

Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
ddstech's Avatar
 
1958 22' Flying Cloud
Folsom , California
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 468
Images: 4
Welcome and congrats on the new trailer. Super jealous! I believe pictures are in order!
ddstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Hello mattkroff,

Thank-you, and I will be posting pix when the "FAN" is decked-out in her aviation theme.
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:15 AM   #4
Moderator
 
blmitch5's Avatar

 
2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,224
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night
THE TRAILERITE:
- Canadian woman
- vintage aviation geek, and interested in nostalgia in general
- easily seduced by the spirit of adventure
- decided she needed a new box spring and mattress and found one (that just happened to be encased by an Airstream trailer). The bed was comfortable and it kinda reminded her of an airplane, so what the heck?
- doesn't have a clue about trailering, but she has learned one thing so far: "dry camping" does not mean the closest liquor store is 100 miles away.

THE TRAILER
- 2010 27' Flying Cloud christened the "Fly at Night" or "her."
- her rivets get a little rattled when a certain F150 truck driven by a certain newbie starts backing up towards her. The newbie claims to be "practicing" and is getting better at it. After the last practice, the truck was only 11 feet away from the hitch instead of 23 1/2 feet.
- the newbie hasn't taken said trailer anywhere yet. The "Fly at Night"
could be considered an expensive driveway ornament (so far).
- why did the newbie name her the "Fly at Night?" No prurient intent was meant - honest! The newbie was merely sublimating her dreams of flight that never quite got off the ground.
- the newbie is excited about dressing-up the "Fly at Night" in a vintage aviation theme and has been rushing around picking out airplane pillows, china, etc. The newbie isn't sure how to turn the stove on but this is typical behaviour for the newbie.
- oh.....almost forgot one other thing. The bed is comfortable!

Here is a great video from another newbe. I can't wait to see pictures.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...ven-72700.html
__________________
Get involved and sign up for a Rally!
https://www.airforums.com/forums/calendar.php
WBCCI 4973
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #5
Moderator
 
Kevin245's Avatar

 
Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,459
Images: 9
Welcome Fly at Night,

Congratulations on the rig. Glad to have you here.

Kevin
__________________

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
LisaP's Avatar
 
2008 25' Safari SS SE
Colleyville , Texas
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 232
Welcome Fly At Night. I love the floor plan on your model! Would love to see your touches on the interior. Happy trails.
__________________
In a perfect world, every home would have a dog and every dog would have a home.
LisaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
 
1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 265
Congratulations on your new bed and the trailer that came with it!! And welcome to the forums where all your questions can be answered.
__________________
Lew TAC #WI-6
Nobody can help everybody, but everybody can help somebody.
driftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
Wayward's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Cary , North Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 824
I'm sure you can work this into the decorating plans somehow Fly.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/b-17g-71007.html
__________________
2006 Safari SE FB
2000 F150 4.2L
2011 F250 6.2L
Broadway, NC
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
Rivet Master
 
Silverfoxrae's Avatar
 
1957 26' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Saint Augustine , Florida
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 703
Images: 45
Blog Entries: 3
Welcome! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun decorating -- and camping too
Sometimes when there's so much to do and so much to learn and it seems overwhelming.. finding a cool gizmo or pillow or what-have-you to decorate with can take the edge off and keep you from pulling your hair out!
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.
__________________
Metallicised.

AIR # 42703
TCT Member
TAC # FL~6
WBCCI # 1464

'57 Overlander thread:"the end of the rainbow is silver"
Silverfoxrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
Site Team
 
Aage's Avatar
 
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 11,219
Images: 25
Howdy and welcome to airforum.com, FAN! You'll love it here, all we talk about is monocoque vehicles made of aluminum.

No before, just after photos for us? Awww.... c'mon, be kind: we're hooked on Airstreams, new, old custom or what have you.
__________________
ďCourage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway.Ē
...John Wayne...........................
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:19 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
Welcome to the forum, from just a little West of you.
__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Here is a great video from another newbe. I can't wait to see pictures.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f426...ven-72700.html
Hi blmitch, thanks so much. I think I'll be okay once I get over the initial fear of fiddling with propane. Reminds me of that old joke:
A parachutist couldn't get his chute to open. As he was falling through the air, he met another guy going up, so asked, "Excuse me, do you know anything about parachutes?"

The guy going up replied, "Sorry, no. Do you know anything about gas barbeques?"

I guess the same could be said about propane stoves!
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin245 View Post
Welcome Fly at Night,

Congratulations on the rig. Glad to have you here.

Kevin
Hi Kevin,

Thanks so much. I think I've found a good place!
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaP View Post
Welcome Fly At Night. I love the floor plan on your model! Would love to see your touches on the interior. Happy trails.
Hi LisaP,

Thanks too! I will definitely post pix when the trailer is decked-out. I'll have to figure out how to post pix on this site too. I'm sure it isn't hard;
every website is a bit different.

Happy trails to you too.
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #15
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftless View Post
Congratulations on your new bed and the trailer that came with it!! And welcome to the forums where all your questions can be answered.
Hi driftless,

lol! about "new bed and the trailer that came with it!"

Thanks for your welcome, and I'll probably have a lot of questions; the list will probably be as long as my trailer!
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward View Post
I'm sure you can work this into the decorating plans somehow Fly.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f483/b-17g-71007.html
Hi Wayward,

Enjoyed your B-17 link, thanks so much. What the B-17 was to the USAF, the Lancaster and Halifax bombers were to the RCAF and RAF. Yesterday I was talking to a Lanc navigator. There aren't many around; I always consider it a rare privilege to talk to those who served in WW2.

As to decorating the FAN, I'm thinking in civilian terms, but who knows? I'm sure I will find a spot for some WW2-related aircraft memorbilia too.
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxrae View Post
Welcome! I'm sure you'll have tons of fun decorating -- and camping too
Sometimes when there's so much to do and so much to learn and it seems overwhelming.. finding a cool gizmo or pillow or what-have-you to decorate with can take the edge off and keep you from pulling your hair out!
Rae

via~ AIR Forums App.
Hi Silverfoxrae,

I like your reasoning! Thanks so much!

I have already pulled some hair out; hopefully, I'll just be buying pillows or those "cool gizmos"...and not wigs!
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Howdy and welcome to airforum.com, FAN! You'll love it here, all we talk about is monocoque vehicles made of aluminum.

No before, just after photos for us? Awww.... c'mon, be kind: we're hooked on Airstreams, new, old custom or what have you.
Hi Aage,

ahhh, another Canuck! I am already loving it here. Great trailers -
even greater people!

Thanks for your welcome; boy, I've really got to post those "after" photos now. I have a feeling Airstreamers carry a lot of pictures of their rigs,
just like proud parents!
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master
 
Fly at Night's Avatar
 
2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 2,966
Images: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
Welcome to the forum, from just a little West of you.
Hi cameront,

Wow! Another Canadian, and not too far away. I'm sure we will meet at a rally or campground someday!

I am looking forward to the new RV Park at Sunshine Valley. May make that my first trip. The incline before the Hope Slide will be a good place to test the payload ability of my truck.

Thanks for the welcome!
Fly at Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:12 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
cameront120's Avatar
 
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 3,422
Images: 23
There are quite a few Canadians here. And several from the Lower Mainland that frequent the forum.
__________________
Cameron & the Labradors, Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.